What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

RSO THC strength?

ninox33

I make RSO frequently and was planning to use in some edibles. My syringes are 20ml and weigh about 20+g when full. So roughly g = ml. I’d like to get my dosing as accurate as possible.
I was wondering what the THC % would be (approximate).
I’d be guessing 80+%? As it’s a concentrate the variation in flower % shouldn’t influence too much? Higher THC = greater volume and conversely?
I’d appreciate any input, as my searches so far on this site haven’t produced the answers I seek.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I make RSO frequently and was planning to use in some edibles. My syringes are 20ml and weigh about 20+g when full. So roughly g = ml. I’d like to get my dosing as accurate as possible.
I’d be guessing 80+%? As it’s a concentrate the variation in flower % shouldn’t influence too much? Higher THC = greater volume and conversely?
I’d appreciate any input, as my searches so far on this site haven’t produced the answers I seek.
You will have to use the trial-and-error method to find the right dose. Good luck and keep us posted.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
how do you make your RSO , with a rice cooker?

what kind of solvent do you use?

do you use the same strain of cannabis every time under the same conditions?

ninox33

how do you make your RSO , with a rice cooker?

what kind of solvent do you use?

do you use the same strain of cannabis every time under the same conditions?
Yes rice cooker.
Sadly ISO but I’m confident with my technique that my RSO is clean. I consume it everyday. Being in Oz, Everclear substitutes are expensive, looking at moving to home stilled ethanol.
Multiple strains.
Not sure what you meant by conditions? The usage or the cooking?
My current consumption is a 6:9 blend of RSO:hemp seed oil.
Against all advice I can soak my 12 month cured flower for months. Occasionally I’ll do a few minute wash. The results are very good.

acespicoli

Medical - Brass Caps medical gel caps #174

en.seedfinder.eu

Medical Marijuana Strains :: Pain (Medical Strain List)

Pain (Medical Strain List) Here the SeedFinder gathers and shares information on individual medical cannabis varieties.
en.seedfinder.eu

Try this #174 I would reach out to

BrassNwood

Best >ibes:huggg:

ninox33

If its relatively clean oil then 1 gram should be close to 900mg-1000mg of cannabinoids,
I understand that impurities will make up some of the weight but isn't RSO close to pure thc with some other cannabinoids
View attachment 19052073

I use refined RSO for my edibles
The dispensary says 1000mg per 1 gram syringe but I put it more 900-950
My point is that your oil is not far off from this so should be in this range

Did you use the R.I.C.E. method of extraction

Did an iso extraction a few times
Not bad but prefer ethanol
In a pinch does a great

You should have pretty clean/pure oil, am I wrong?
Thanks Tincandtoke👍
Yeah that was my thoughts I was guesstimating ~85%.
Very interesting link, which I’ll deep read later. Intriguing the comment re ethanol converting to toxic substance. And though the table says RSO 35% TH? I still thought RSO would come in where you suggested.
Mine is thick black grease, and one drop of the hemp seed oil blend is a great nights sleep. I’ll be keen to explore the RICE method. Plenty of material to experiment with.

ninox33

You will have to use the trial-and-error method to find the right dose. Good luck and keep us posted.
Cheers Creeperpark
I forgot to say I was looking to making edibles. I am expecting a lot of trial & error. End goal is low dose edibles. It’s easy to make strong edibles. I have a low tolerance for an everyday vaper, and ~0.02mg of THC does the job for many hours. I’m keen to translate that into my edibles. I’d like to have a strength that people new to edibles won’t be put off by ODing. I’ve got the maths sorted, just looking to ball park my RSO strength. Thank you 👍

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Cheers Creeperpark
I forgot to say I was looking to making edibles. I am expecting a lot of trial & error. End goal is low dose edibles. It’s easy to make strong edibles. I have a low tolerance for an everyday vaper, and ~0.02mg of THC does the job for many hours. I’m keen to translate that into my edibles. I’d like to have a strength that people new to edibles won’t be put off by ODing. I’ve got the maths sorted, just looking to ball park my RSO strength. Thank you 👍
I can tell by your posts that you are very good at what you do. The only way to be accurate would be to send your product to a lab to be utilized. Unfortunately, anything that goes to a lab will cost the hell out of you and is not worth the cost. My opinion, keep it simple by making only 3 doses: low, medium, and high doses. In the end, one's tolerance is what determines the effect anyway. You got me interested so keep us posted friend.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Yes rice cooker.
Sadly ISO but I’m confident with my technique that my RSO is clean. I consume it everyday. Being in Oz, Everclear substitutes are expensive, looking at moving to home stilled ethanol.
Multiple strains.
Not sure what you meant by conditions? The usage or the cooking?
My current consumption is a 6:9 blend of RSO:hemp seed oil.
Against all advice I can soak my 12 month cured flower for months. Occasionally I’ll do a few minute wash. The results are very good.
You can use simple vodka
ISO is poisonous. I cant believe its still being used in 2024

Thcvhunter

Veteran
The ISO toxic myth has been disproved if you 100% purge correctly.

I use cannabis home science methodology and you can not smell or taste ISO. i finish with 190 proof everclear.

Nah. Thats not a peer-reviewed journal from NCBI or PubMed. Its merely stoner science from a stoner website.

Tincandtoke

Nah. Thats not a peer-reviewed journal from NCBI or PubMed. Its merely stoner science from a stoner website.

Unfortunately it will be some time before the necessary research makes it to the DIY crowd
If you could elaborate on your stance regarding iso I would appreciate it
Trying to learn a lot on the fly but I need more opinions and practical experience

ninox33

I agree ISO is poisonous.
I rely on the difference in boiling points, to be confident I have removed ‘all’ of it. I was taught to add a few drops of water to my mixture. Over time I have increased the amount. Caution is required as too much at once can cause a small explosion where hot oil can be ejected. Over a cook I’d probably add +50ml of water minimum to the mix. Perhaps not perfect but I’m satisfied with my product, and by the time the water has evaporated I’m confident that the ISO has evaporated out. The final product under full heat has stopped bubbling and a whisp of smoke can be detected. Too hot? Perhaps but I’m happy with my end result.
I was planning to evolve to home made ethanol, however the link @ tincantoke shared was suggesting a toxic residue from ethanol. So further reading is required.
Out of curiosity @thcvhuner where do you get those Thc % No.s from?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Unfortunately it will be some time before the necessary research makes it to the DIY crowd
If you could elaborate on your stance regarding iso I would appreciate it
Trying to learn a lot on the fly but I need more opinions and practical experience
Simply, ISO has benzene rings. Thats on top of the poisonous additives.

Weed itself has never killed anyone.
But weed sprayed with chemicals and extracted with the wrong chemicals has killed countless. One of them was my buddy Sean, aka HappyDayz, from kidney failure.