What's new

seattlegrown

Well I have not been in forums or done a grow diary in over 15 years or so but I thought this would be a good one that some of you may be interested in watching. Some RKS beans I received from Blue Skies Vienna... I have heard many things, good and bad. I would be interested to hear your opinions as well and while we have some hectic discussions about Skunk I'll grow these beans out and post some pictures along the way. Thanks for taking a look at my thread, I hope all of you have a womderful day.
20230614_164258.jpg
20230614_164355.jpg
20230615_123144.jpg

ChinookKing

Well I have not been in forums or done a grow diary in over 15 years or so but I thought this would be a good one that some of you may be interested in watching. Some RKS beans I received from Blue Skies Vienna... I have heard many things, good and bad. I would be interested to hear your opinions as well and while we have some hectic discussions about Skunk I'll grow these beans out and post some pictures along the way. Thanks for taking a look at my thread, I hope all of you have a womderful day. View attachment 18854449 View attachment 18854450 View attachment 18854451
Well I have not been in forums or done a grow diary in over 15 years or so but I thought this would be a good one that some of you may be interested in watching. Some RKS beans I received from Blue Skies Vienna... I have heard many things, good and bad. I would be interested to hear your opinions as well and while we have some hectic discussions about Skunk I'll grow these beans out and post some pictures along the way. Thanks for taking a look at my thread, I hope all of you have a womderful day. View attachment 18854449 View attachment 18854450 View attachment 18854451
Ahhh the RKS saga continues! I will be following

ChinookKing

😂 Thank you... I have never seen so many arguments about a cultivar. I posted this on Reddit and I am being attacked over there just for growing these beans out...lol! Blue Skies has a team of people out to get him. I'm impartial myself, I will let the beans speak for themselves. Have a great day!
I too am on a quest for RKS. I have a lead on some beans that are said to be 1989 Hells Angels skunk. They will technically be S1s. The chance it could actually be RKS means I must investigate!

seattlegrown

I too am on a quest for RKS. I have a lead on some beans that are said to be 1989 Hells Angels skunk. They will technically be S1s. The chance it could actually be RKS means I must investigate!
I don't blame you and my interest is piqued! 1989 Hells Angels Skunk, I would have to crack those as well if the opportunity presented itself being I am also on the journey for Skunk.

TheDarkStorm

😂 Thank you... I have never seen so many arguments about a cultivar. I posted this on Reddit and I am being attacked over there just for growing these beans out...lol! Blue Skies has a team of people out to get him. I'm impartial myself, I will let the beans speak for themselves. Have a great day!
I dont think no one is out to get him...but he is out to get himself.....he actually has those genetics from a mix of oldtimers genetics that were a skunk type , nigerian, blueberry, toms haze, old timers haze and some other bits and pieces... This is why all sorts come out of the seed and they are sold by blueskies as multiple pheno packs...Oldtimer knew those genetics beter than anyone, and even he himself said about his pure skunk type it isnt rks... If you look hard enough on the forums you will see saying this and that blueskies himself admits he hasnt smoked the old usa rks and dont even know what its like. He was asking others about it and what it was like. Next thing you know he is selling these open pollinated mixed up ot#1 genetics as rks and saying some different haze type to oltimers other haze line (yes its different in blue skies seeds cuz thhz is in it too)... Ot1 tried to tell him again its not rks and blueskies started abusing him calling him senile... Blueskies carried on with this rks sell and ot1 distanced himself and made clear to people what the genetics were and they wasnt rks as he didn't want to nothing to do with blueskies selling the mixed genetics as rks when they wasnt rks... The same genetics are in oldtimers lot5, esb, his skunk haze and oldtimers haze and thh strains and can be found much cheeper and wont be such a mix of everything just mixed up together.....so thats the issue, not everyone out to get blue skies, its just its not rks. Rks dont have strawberry phenotypes, or haze phenotypes, or skunk hz, or onion types ect.... Rks was a afghan type more than a sativa too. You could ask blueskies for a picture of the old 70s-80s rks plant he has compared his seeds to and verified it is rks with.... Or ask him which guy smoked rks in the 70s and grew it enough and has verified its rks to him...so thats the basic background and history of these.
But enough of that, will be good to see you grow your plants seattlegrown... hope they turn out to your liking and are great....Apart from that we will also get to see how much of the afghan rks type they are and if all the plants are in that dead skunk range.... Should be a intresting thread. Id be more interested in seeing you have a great grow with great pictures and something you love at the end...regardless of the strain it is...have fun man

seattlegrown

I dont think no one is out to get him...but he is out to get himself.....he actually has those genetics from a mix of oldtimers genetics that were a skunk type , nigerian, blueberry, toms haze, old timers haze and some other bits and pieces... This is why all sorts come out of the seed and they are sold by blueskies as multiple pheno packs...Oldtimer knew those genetics beter than anyone, and even he himself said about his pure skunk type it isnt rks... If you look hard enough on the forums you will see saying this and that blueskies himself admits he hasnt smoked the old usa rks and dont even know what its like. He was asking others about it and what it was like. Next thing you know he is selling these open pollinated mixed up ot#1 genetics as rks and saying some different haze type to oltimers other haze line (yes its different in blue skies seeds cuz thhz is in it too)... Ot1 tried to tell him again its not rks and blueskies started abusing him calling him senile... Blueskies carried on with this rks sell and ot1 distanced himself and made clear to people what the genetics were and they wasnt rks as he didn't want to nothing to do with blueskies selling the mixed genetics as rks when they wasnt rks... The same genetics are in oldtimers lot5, esb, his skunk haze and oldtimers haze and thh strains and can be found much cheeper and wont be such a mix of everything just mixed up together.....so thats the issue, not everyone out to get blue skies, its just its not rks. Rks dont have strawberry phenotypes, or haze phenotypes, or skunk hz, or onion types ect.... Rks was a afghan type more than a sativa too. You could ask blueskies for a picture of the old 70s-80s rks plant he has compared his seeds to and verified it is rks with.... Or ask him which guy smoked rks in the 70s and grew it enough and has verified its rks to him...so thats the basic background and history of these.
But enough of that, will be good to see you grow your plants seattlegrown... hope they turn out to your liking and are great....Apart from that we will also get to see how much of the afghan rks type they are and if all the plants are in that dead skunk range.... Should be a intresting thread. Id be more interested in seeing you have a great grow with great pictures and something you love at the end...regardless of the strain it is...have fun man
Thank you for this reply with so much info! Much appreciated. I have read some of this but you have provided some information that is new to me. The beans I currently have blue skies is claiming 80% homogenous RKS expressions. I found that to be an outrageous claim considering that I've seen no evidence the line was worked long enough to have that much homogeneity. I have woked lines myself for over 6 years that have less 😄 Regardless I am curious to see what comes up if only because there is so much buzz about them and I am on the hunt for Skunk. Not expecting much, only 5 beans anyways. Typically I run hundreds, but not going to invest that much in these. Excited to see where this goes regardless. I have only run two other people's seeds in the last 10 years besides these, too busy working on my own projects. That said, decided I wanted to work with some Skunk. Have not smoked any since the 90's. My journey lead me to blue skies among others and so here we are. Let's see what happens. Thanks again.

seattlegrown

Update: The RKS plants are looking great. I am going to transplant them into #1 nursery pots tonight. They are aleady very stinky. Rotting meat, skunk, rubber and tomato plant. Unique and funky. I will update again in a week or two. I hope everyone is doing well, best wishes to you all.

IMG_9508.jpeg
IMG_9511.jpeg
IMG_9514.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9501.jpeg
    IMG_9501.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9509.jpeg
    IMG_9509.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

The BSV RKS saga interests me tremendously, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what comes out of those seeds. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a couple ounces of the RFK Skunk in 1990 and if my memory serves me correctly then I have strong doubts about Haze being a big factor the genetic mix on that one, the buds were much more Afghani indica type. The kind deadheads who sold me the RFK Skunk were from the region of Vienna, Virginia, so I was really hoping BSV was one of them and that they still had the genetics preserved, but according to TheDarkStorm's account, it seems unfortunately like that probably isn't the case.

Brother Nature

Update: The RKS plants are looking great. I am going to transplant them into #1 nursery pots tonight. They are aleady very stinky. Rotting meat, skunk, rubber and tomato plant. Unique and funky. I will update again in a week or two. I hope everyone is doing well, best wishes to you all.

View attachment 18863567 View attachment 18863569 View attachment 18863570
Looking healthy mate. From the initial structure and leaves, these look to lean more Afghan side of skunk which seems to me to be where the funky roadkill scents tend to come from. Good luck with the grow, I love a good skunk. :)