What's new

Reviving sick mother for healthy vigorous clones help!

Raw710

Hi I am wondering if I can revive genetics from a sick mother plant. It all started when the power went out and it seemed like it changed the plant structure in my mother. When the power eventually came back on I took clones from it as usual and never came back to normal. The potency is there but the yield is terrible. The tops seem to be ok but the lowers which once we're golf balls are not even worth trimming. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to pretty much start over and make clones or mother plant as vigorous as it once was. I don't want to lose the cut I am willing to try anything. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Been my experience taking cuttings from healthy mums
is best.

Never had cuttings taken from lackluster mums equal the
potency/terps from healthy mums.

Preservation of cultivars demands cuts taken from vigorous stock.

Genetic drift is a thing

Janborrego

Hi I am wondering if I can revive genetics from a sick mother plant. It all started when the power went out and it seemed like it changed the plant structure in my mother. When the power eventually came back on I took clones from it as usual and never came back to normal. The potency is there but the yield is terrible. The tops seem to be ok but the lowers which once we're golf balls are not even worth trimming. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to pretty much start over and make clones or mother plant as vigorous as it once was. I don't want to lose the cut I am willing to try anything. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Make a clone then use that as the mother. Some people never have a mother just make clones every time to keep the line going.

Raw710

Been my experience taking cuttings from healthy mums
is best.

Never had cuttings taken from lackluster mums equal the
potency/terps from healthy mums.

Preservation of cultivars demands cuts taken from vigorous stock.

Genetic drift is a thing
Is there anyway to reverse genetic drift?

Raw710

Make a clone then use that as the mother. Some people never have a mother just make clones every time to keep the line going.
Yes I have done that for years I wish I had more space for mothers. I grow perpetually it makes it tough to keep the generations to a minimum.

Raw710

What is it growing in, how often and how much are you feeding it, are you pH the feeds, is it inside or outside, pics will also help.
I am growing in straight coco and I am feeding once everyday. I am ph'ing it to 5.8. and I will try and get pictures up tomorrow. Everything looks healthy it's just the yields are bad now. The lower flowers aren't as big as they once were, which really affects the final yield.

Porky82

I am growing in straight coco and I am feeding once everyday. I am ph'ing it to 5.8. and I will try and get pictures up tomorrow. Everything looks healthy it's just the yields are bad now. The lower flowers aren't as big as they once were, which really affects the final yield.
Have you changed lights or has the environment changed?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Can you say how many hours the plant endured without lights.

Best guess is to feed at a lower EC and trim her back, see if new growth is vigorous.

Also without lights you may have a bacterial bloom that curbs vigor.

Perhaps a fresh re pot, with close examination of the roots for bugs.

Change one aspect at a time to nail the culprit and remember you can't fix everything.

We're all pulling for you, best of luck!

Fuel

Is there anyway to reverse genetic drift?

At this point "we don't know".

During the worry, maybe the lack of light promoted a fungi but the plant can be enough resistant to this to don't show systemic symptoms. Just an option among a bunch.

Digger102

Veteran
You’d be surprised …something about getting it outside can really help breathe some new life into it
I've been at this almost 20 years and just put plants outside for the first time this summer and I'm witnessing this first hand. It's fucking amazing!! The sun is damn near removing the variegation from my triangle kush clone. I dont get a lot of sun in my yard and they might only get 4 hours of direct sun per day, I'm a little concerned they might start to flower, but I feel that they arent because even indirect light is better than whats inside and they will stay in veg. If I can get one more month of outside I'll have a nice rip of good clones to start for indoor. It's literally amazing to watch the sun work her magic. I'm waiting on a tray of clones that were planted to start putting new roots down and then they are going outside too.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been at this almost 20 years and just put plants outside for the first time this summer and I'm witnessing this first hand. It's fucking amazing!! The sun is damn near removing the variegation from my triangle kush clone. I dont get a lot of sun in my yard and they might only get 4 hours of direct sun per day, I'm a little concerned they might start to flower, but I feel that they arent because even indirect light is better than whats inside and they will stay in veg. If I can get one more month of outside I'll have a nice rip of good clones to start for indoor. It's literally amazing to watch the sun work her magic. I'm waiting on a tray of clones that were planted to start putting new roots down and then they are going outside too.
Even if it does revert to flowering as the days go by, it’ll go back to veg, and turn into an octopus with potentially dozens and dozens of usable cuts

Digger102

Veteran
Even if it does revert to flowering as the days go by, it’ll go back to veg, and turn into an octopus with potentially dozens and dozens of usable cuts
Hey FP, hope you're doing well. Does it need to be direct sun for it not to flower? Currently in my area in MD we are at 14.5 hours between sunrise and sunset. they probably start catching sun around 10 am and because of this gigantic fuckin pine tree, it stops about 130 or 2 and then they might get a little more direct sun between 4 and 5.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Flowering totally a response to the amount of darkness & varies from strain . It’s really not a problem for what you’re trying to do ..I would definitely not put it into direct sun from indoors. You have to ease the transition, keep it in the shade gradually add more filtered light…. keep it in a semi-shady area and let it do it’s own thing till it hardens off, then gradually add more full sunlight