What's new

resimax 2024 Grow 1

resimax

I'm documenting my first grows of the year here on ICMag for the first time. I have 3 gardens -- two indoor tents, and 1 outdoor plant. This diary will be for 1 of my indoor gardens, growing in a 2x2x1.5ft raised bed with a custom soil I've been working on for a while. It is what I showed during my introductory post.

I took a break from growing (and consuming) for a few months, to focus on building a soil that can grow me some medicine. It has become increasingly difficult to find a cultivar that doesn't induce seizures from my medical conditions. Some strains worked very well, while others did not. This was always an issue I dealt with in the more than two decades growing and consuming. Some very high THC or very low THC, worked well to ease my symptoms. Some well-rounded specimens also worked well. The problem is some did not, and I haven't been able to discover any pattern except for a long shot -- all of them had trace amounts of CBD and CBG from the CoA's I've analyzed. So, for the first time in my growing career, I gathered a few high-CBD ratio cultivars to see what effects they bring to my condition -- as even not consuming cannabis brings on seizures and other debilitating symptoms randomly, just not as often as when I consume the wrong cannabis.

For the first CBD strain I ever grew, I chose two autoflower seeds of the same cultivar: Purplematic CBD from Royal Queen Seeds. I acquired more cultivars which I plan to introduce into my other growing chambers in separate diaries in the near future, but this diary is dedicated to this specific cultivar, growing both in my raised bed, which sits in a 1 meter squared tent indoors.

This particular cultivar is advertised to contain 17% CBD with less than 0.5% THC, or about a ratio of 34:1 CBD to THC. My hope is that this genotype will bring out a specimen close to that, but even if not, chances should be good that a phenotype will contain a large percentage of CBD over THC. If funds can allow for it, I will send a sample off to a lab after harvesting to verify that.

I germinated these ones using Root Riot cubes, primarily because I only had two cubes left. I don't seem to notice any difference with how I germinate seeds, and have had a near 100% germination rate for years. There was no logic in choosing this substrate other than to use the last of them up, as I wanted to try them last year to see what the praise was about. Root Riot cubes work well, but so did all of my other methods.

Indeed, these seeds sprouted quickly, visibly protruding the substrate about 36 hours after sowing. I'm happy, considering they were a couple year old seeds sent to me from overseas by a good friend during my search for a collection of high-CBD genetics.

My germination process was quite simple. I simply soaked the Root Riot cubes (they were mostly dried up, being about 6 months old) in fish excrement water, and every day I am giving them a light foliar spray of the same solution, in a cheap humidity dome with a plastic cellular divider tray. The temperature and humidity of my germination chamber are automated with some sensors and computer code I wrote, maintaining around 82F and 62% relative humidity outside of the dome, with 3x 3ft 15W LED strips mounted above them, as well as a heating mat under the tray set to 90F, which keeps the substrate around 84F from the indirect heat. The automation software controls an exhaust fan and a small heater contained in my germination chamber.

After 36 hours, here is the result:

1714899341465.png

1714899295468.png

1714899235995.png

In a few days, we will transplant the peat cubes directly into my raised bed. Well, after a bit of lawn mowing anyway, as I planted a cover crop for reasons explained in my introductory post (see link above). It only took about four days for that to become a legume jungle -- here is their future home at the current moment:

1714901445202.png

We'll see where this takes us in the end. We have never grown in a large(ish) raised bed before, nor used a ScrOG net before. Additionally, we abandoned autoflowers after a brief attempt last year, so I don't have much experience with them. Only time will tell...

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm documenting my first grows of the year here on ICMag for the first time. I have 3 gardens -- two indoor tents, and 1 outdoor plant. This diary will be for 1 of my indoor gardens, growing in a 2x2x1.5ft raised bed with a custom soil I've been working on for a while. It is what I showed during my introductory post.

I took a break from growing (and consuming) for a few months, to focus on building a soil that can grow me some medicine. It has become increasingly difficult to find a cultivar that doesn't induce seizures from my medical conditions. Some strains worked very well, while others did not. This was always an issue I dealt with in the more than two decades growing and consuming. Some very high THC or very low THC, worked well to ease my symptoms. Some well-rounded specimens also worked well. The problem is some did not, and I haven't been able to discover any pattern except for a long shot -- all of them had trace amounts of CBD and CBG from the CoA's I've analyzed. So, for the first time in my growing career, I gathered a few high-CBD ratio cultivars to see what effects they bring to my condition -- as even not consuming cannabis brings on seizures and other debilitating symptoms randomly, just not as often as when I consume the wrong cannabis.

For the first CBD strain I ever grew, I chose two autoflower seeds of the same cultivar: Purplematic CBD from Royal Queen Seeds. I acquired more cultivars which I plan to introduce into my other growing chambers in separate diaries in the near future, but this diary is dedicated to this specific cultivar, growing both in my raised bed, which sits in a 1 meter squared tent indoors.

This particular cultivar is advertised to contain 17% CBD with less than 0.5% THC, or about a ratio of 34:1 CBD to THC. My hope is that this genotype will bring out a specimen close to that, but even if not, chances should be good that a phenotype will contain a large percentage of CBD over THC. If funds can allow for it, I will send a sample off to a lab after harvesting to verify that.

I germinated these ones using Root Riot cubes, primarily because I only had two cubes left. I don't seem to notice any difference with how I germinate seeds, and have had a near 100% germination rate for years. There was no logic in choosing this substrate other than to use the last of them up, as I wanted to try them last year to see what the praise was about. Root Riot cubes work well, but so did all of my other methods.

Indeed, these seeds sprouted quickly, visibly protruding the substrate about 36 hours after sowing. I'm happy, considering they were a couple year old seeds sent to me from overseas by a good friend during my search for a collection of high-CBD genetics.

My germination process was quite simple. I simply soaked the Root Riot cubes (they were mostly dried up, being about 6 months old) in fish excrement water, and every day I am giving them a light foliar spray of the same solution, in a cheap humidity dome with a plastic cellular divider tray. The temperature and humidity of my germination chamber are automated with some sensors and computer code I wrote, maintaining around 82F and 62% relative humidity outside of the dome, with 3x 3ft 15W LED strips mounted above them, as well as a heating mat under the tray set to 90F, which keeps the substrate around 84F from the indirect heat. The automation software controls an exhaust fan and a small heater contained in my germination chamber.

After 36 hours, here is the result:

View attachment 18997679

View attachment 18997678

View attachment 18997677

In a few days, we will transplant the peat cubes directly into my raised bed. Well, after a bit of lawn mowing anyway, as I planted a cover crop for reasons explained in my introductory post (see link above). It only took about four days for that to become a legume jungle -- here is their future home at the current moment:

View attachment 18997684

We'll see where this takes us in the end. We have never grown in a large(ish) raised bed before, nor used a ScrOG net before. Additionally, we abandoned autoflowers after a brief attempt last year, so I don't have much experience with them. Only time will tell...
Thank you for the post friend. I love your cover crop. Good luck.

resimax

I decided the time is right now...these babies are going in the bed -- this bed:

1715055118095.png

• I mowed the cover-crop lawn
  • Dug a couple fairly deep transplant holes
  • Added mycorrhizae/bacteria to the bottom of the holes
  • Filled holes with my base mix
  • Wet with RO water and made smaller hole for peat cubes
  • Added some mycorrhizae/bacteria to smaller holes
  • Dropped in both peat cubes/seedlings
  • Covered up with more base mix and wet with RO water
  • Mulched whole bed with a generous layer of pea gravel
  • Dialed in my DLI to 13, and VPD to 0.45
1715055362752.png

1715055379134.png

1715055410032.png

1715055452453.png

1715055464766.png

1715055549916.png

1715055592069.png

1715055608748.png

1715055647463.png

Now we see what happens!

resimax

Unfortunately, seedling #1 never developed true leaves and started to die. Upon briefly touching it, the stem just snapped in half. I replaced it with a backup cultivar of the same age: Cannatonic by Resin seeds (I think anyway, we'd have to see what the origin is from @what_can_there, as he supplied it about a year ago).

resimax

We had a while of very slow growth for Cannatonic, as it just formed true leaves a couple days ago at day 11.

1715830651334.jpeg

I don't believe this to be my wrong-doing for Cannatonic, as we have a few other cultivars growing in solo cups on top of the raised bed (same environment and soil), germinated from seed, and a week later, already taller than even Purplematic.

Additionally, we have another Cannatonic in a solo cup, which is performing even worse than the one pictured above (it's a mutant, with barely-formed true leaves). We won't be documenting that one, as it was only intended to be a backup, and will soon be destroyed.

As for Purplematic CBD, we had a rough start, due to a day or two of a bad VPD, causing conditions to be a little too arid for her. This is expressed by some yellowing and interveinal chlorosis in her leaves, especially the lower ones which were at the top when this occurred. No, this is not a cal-mag issue, as many are quick to judge. We actually have a bit of lime in our soil, and magnesium in our water supply. It was simply from being too dry for a short while.

1715830907780.jpeg

1715830920133.jpeg

And here they are side by side (left: Cannatonic, right: Purplematic CBD):

1715830970589.png

All of the above pictures were taken at the end of day 11, counting day 1 when they were protruding through the soil.

Since Cannatonic is a photoperiodic strain, and Purplematic CBD is an autoflower, I intend to mainline and train Cannatonic low for as long as the autoflowering cultivar is flowering, only then letting it grow upwards, where we will ScrOG it for flowering. So, in the end, this tiny little runt may indeed become the monster nature intended it to become. Time will tell.

resimax

I decided to work on a LAB serum last week (thanks @Persianfarmer for the hints). I added the milk a few days ago, and we're starting to curd. In a few days when it's done, I'll show it off before I apply it. This is the first time I tried it. I usually avoid animal products, but, I was always curious at the results over my sprouted seed teas and other KNF inputs.

Edit:
It was ready a little too early due to the warmer weather this week, but I forgot to take pictures. We watered the bed (and all of our outdoor plants) at a 1:20 ratio. I am preserving about a gallon more of it in the fridge, and half with molasses. We'll see how it does I guess.

Edit again:
After reading several agricultural academic papers for various crops, such as tomatoes and peppers, it seems a ratio of 15mL per L (about 1:67) showed consistently better results than anything less. No papers I have located applied higher application rates like I have, but a lot of cannabis community references I have seen (not scientific studies) recommend anywhere from 3tbsp per gallon (roughly 1:85) up to 30mL per L (roughly 1:33). Dilution ratios are all over the board, as well as results, with a lot of papers saying more research is required. (Korean) Natural Farming mentions ratios of 1:1000, or, for foliar sprays, even less as one example, and a good deal of papers explore these ratios as well, while others use orders of magnitude more. I haven't found anything definitive, given the different ssp., ratios, crops, and other EM's applied in parallel in the research papers I've read. I may explore more with it in the future with more proper experimentation (for what my small-scale budget/space provides, anyway).

In any case, I used a bit too much of a ratio than anything I read, and went and applied more water to my soil. My tent doesn't smell like cheese anymore :LOL:.

Last edited:

resimax

This grow has been turning out to be more experimentation than I ever did, starting with the raised bed and CBD strains, neither of which I did before. In that respect, I started making my own JMS, which I plan to introduce into the soil next. Go ahead and call me insane, because I'm pretty sure I am at this point!

Latest posts

Latest posts