What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Pollen hazard ⚠️

Mahalo85

I would think It depends on the prevailing winds. In my opinion the worst thing that might happen is you will get lightly seeded weed , no big deal. I regularly move male plants just 50’ or so to collect pollen and I end up with very few if any unwanted seeds .I realize that my few male plants don't compare square miles of plants but they are much closer. I think you should just try a few and see and then we'll know. You could try growing varieties that flower at different times than the hemp , or you could use a row cover to keep the wind - pollen off them .don't give up !
The size of this particular field frightens me a bit, as I’m doing a small crossing/breeding project of my own right now. Maybe I should take it indoors to tackle these unwanted guests..

Captain Red Eye

not to be an arse-hole , but do you have any research papers that talk about hemp pollen drift?

Reasonable question.
I read an article a few years back about pollen drift going 30 miles from Morocco to Spain across the mediterranean sea. I imagine with an updraft and no obstacles, pollen could go miles.

I did a quick search and there seem to be lots of articles about hemp pollen drift. I'll need some time to read a couple before I can reach a conclusion though. Hopefully later this evening...gotta go feed the chickens now.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Reasonable question.
I read an article a few years back about pollen drift going 30 miles from Morocco to Spain across the mediterranean sea. I imagine with an updraft and no obstacles, pollen could go miles.

I did a quick search and there seem to be lots of articles about hemp pollen drift. I'll need some time to read a couple before I can reach a conclusion though. Hopefully later this evening...gotta go feed the chickens now.

thanks for the reply

i was hoping there were a few Horticulture majors at the Rag who knew for sure

otherwise , it has been awhile since studying the topic of pollen drift , but last I recall there were a lot of opinions , from a few hundred feet to a few hundred miles

seems to me viability would be a good place to start…people go to great lengths to collect and store pollen and great care is taken so the pollen won’t go bad…

Old Piney

The size of this particular field frightens me a bit, as I’m doing a small crossing/breeding project of my own right now. Maybe I should take it indoors to tackle these unwanted guests..
Absolutely if you are breeding. I do suggest you check out when the hemp males start flowering this could be key

mudballs

thanks for the reply

i was hoping there were a few Horticulture majors at the Rag who knew for sure

otherwise , it has been awhile since studying the topic of pollen drift , but last I recall there were a lot of opinions , from a few hundred feet to a few hundred miles

seems to me viability would be a good place to start…people go to great lengths to collect and store pollen and great care is taken so the pollen won’t go bad…
Viability is moisture based, they've found 240M yr old pollen grain fossils....it's the inside that matters. Which
it absorbs water, germinates, and starts slowly growing a pollen tube
the reason pollen is given a lifespan of 72hrs in field is cuz of course due to moisture exposure...whether 80% humidity overnight, wet leaf, it's just not gonna make it long unless it lands on a sexy pistilate female...which has enough (cough)...moisture, to initiate germination. Yes, we really do say pollen germinates.
So if you can keep moisture off you extend lifespan yes. 3yrs is the record I've seen in all my time trying to remember posts about stored pollen. We're talking very very tiny fragile organic matter. The size alone means any degradation is a killswitch, only matter of time.

Elrond

I came by a hemp field yesterday (Germany). There were males and females. I didn’t see hermies, but I didn’t look out for them. They were already flowering, which I found strangely early. So maybe for seed production they breed auto traits into the hemp strain. Or is hemp always auto?

goingrey

I came by a hemp field yesterday (Germany). There were males and females. I didn’t see hermies, but I didn’t look out for them. They were already flowering, which I found strangely early. So maybe for seed production they breed auto traits into the hemp strain. Or is hemp always auto?
Most hemp strains are not auto. The only one that is that I can think of is Finola. Some of them are just very early despite not being auto.

There are almost 100 hemp strains currently approved in the EU. Some are monoecious (hermie), others are diecious (male/female).

Alive SK *LT 208 (16)
AMX *BG 9 (32)
Armanca *RO 1002
Asso *IT 15
Austa SK *LV 202, *LT 208 (16)
Balaton *HU 149424
Beniko *NL x, *PL 1109
Białobrzeskie = Bialobrzeskie
Bialobrzeskie *CZ x ex: 0
Białobrzeskie *PL 893
Cannakomp *HU 149424
Carma *IT 1532
Carmagnola *IT 15 ex: 0
Carmaleonte *IT 15
CFX-2 *LV 212 (32)
Chamaeleon *NL 391
Codimono *IT 15
CRS-1 *LV 212 (32)
CS *IT 15 (32)
Dacia Secuieni *RO 1018
Delta-405 *ES 275
Delta-llosa *ES 275
Dioica 88 *FR S15085
Djumbo 20 *FR S15085
Earlina 8 FC *FR S15085
Eletta Campana *IT 15
Enectarol *NL 1119
Epsilon 68 *FR S15085
Estica *EE 166 (16)
Fedora 17 *FR S15085
Felina 32 *FR S15085
Férimon *FR S15085
Fibranova *IT 15
Fibrante *IT 15
Fibrol *HU 149424
Fibror 79 *FR S15085
Finola *FI 6157
Fiona *SI 34
Futura 75 *FR S15085
Futura 83 *FR S15085
Glecia *IT 1324
Gliana *IT 1324
Glyana *PL 1167
Helena *SI 160
Henola *PL 893
Ivory *NL 722
KC Bonusz *HU 149424
KC Dora *HU 214212
KC Virtus *HU 149424
KC Zuzana *HU 149424
KCA Borana *HU 149424
Kompolti *HU 151322
Kompolti hibrid TC *HU 149424
Lipko *HU 151322
Loja *LV 210
Lovrin 110 *RO 1002
Mara 21 *RO 1156
Marcello *NL 722
Marina *SI 160
Markant *NL 722
Matrix *PL 589
MGC 1013 *NL 1083 (32)
Midwest *BG 10
Mietko *PL 589
Monoica *CZ 1272, *HU 149424
Muka 76 *FR S15085
Nashinoïde 15 *FR S15085
Northwest *BG 10
OGK *BG 9 (32)
Olivia *RO 1018
Orion 33 *FR S15085
Ostara 9 *FR S15085
Pain killer *BG 9
Rajan *PL 893
Ratza *RO 1018
Santhica 23 *FR S15085
Santhica 27 *FR S15085
Santhica 70 *FR S15085
Secuieni Jubileu *RO 1018
Silvana *RO 1002
Sofia *PL 1231
Strawberry H *BG 9
Strawberry K *BG 9
Succesiv *RO 1018
Teodora *RO 1002
Tiborszallasi *HU 149424
Tisza *HU 214212
Tygra *PL 893
Uniko B *HU 151322 H
Uso-31 *NL x
Villanova *IT 1495
Wielkopolskie *PL 589
Wojko *PL 893
Zenit *RO 1018
Adzelvieši *LV 188 Region of origin:Latvia
Fukal *SI 597 Region of origin:Slovenia
Pūriņi *LV 188 Region of origin:Latvia
Stara Prekmurska *SI 597 Region of origin:Slovenia

This site has some good info on some of them:

Some more info about hemp cultivation in EU:

CBD production is just a sidenote, and as an extract not flower. But in America things are different I suppose because growing hemp was banned for so long so less of an existing market for industrial uses, and also heavy demand for CBD because it is used to make the delta8 products and so on.

Mahalo85

That’s really early indeed 🤔

Mahalo85

Yes I imagine autos would be very productive for seed production .they are small and fast and not wasting energy on producing stalks, requiring less fertilizer. If @Mahalo85 is lucky the farmers by him are growing aut

Yes I imagine autos would be very productive for seed production .they are small and fast and not wasting energy on producing stalks, requiring less fertilizer. If @Mahalo85 is lucky the farmers by him are growing autos
Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
I’ve set my mind on a greenhouse by now.. Have great weekend Old Piney 💨

Janborrego

Premium user
Fellow growers, as I did a small hike with the missus after dinner last week I’ve stumbled upon a ten by ten square miles hempfield about 3 miles from our home. This is a commercial hemp field from Hempflax [Sensi seeds], and I was wondering if the pollen from these fields could screw up my little [10 plants] yearly backyard growing operation? Any recommendations, tips, tricks or should I just give up straight away.. 😅
If there are makes sure can if only fems and no hermies you may be ok. I know pollen can travel up to 5 mikes in strong winds.

Janborrego

Premium user
I would think It depends on the prevailing winds. In my opinion the worst thing that might happen is you will get lightly seeded weed , no big deal. I regularly move male plants just 50’ or so to collect pollen and I end up with very few if any unwanted seeds .I realize that my few male plants don't compare square miles of plants but they are much closer. I think you should just try a few and see and then we'll know. You could try growing varieties that flower at different times than the hemp , or you could use a row cover to keep the wind - pollen off them .don't give up !
Yes lightly seeded weed is just fine. My sour vengeance threw a nanner cause it has seeds but not a ton. Just a few and the weed is great. My best stuff yet. I roll like a half ounce at a time so I can send some to my son. He is very busy so I like to have it ready for him. I send it in the tubes to keep it fresh. He work like 12 hours a day 6 days a week.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Greenhouse will not keep out the pollen unless it is completely sealed.
@bigsur51 should give you some idea maybe?
My worst nightmare is a hemp farm within 20 miles of me.

awesome paper there Amigo!…..in conclusion , it looks like more research is needed lol

if one is on the leeward side of the wind , not much chance of pollination ..doh ..compared to windward side..lol..

but yeah , my neighbor got into the cbd craze about 8 years ago and got a contract to grow about 500 acres of cbd plants

pretty sure he said they were all feminized and his land is about 20 miles away , I never worried about any pollen

after growing outdoors the last 17 years , I can say every crop had a few plants that had seeds , not very many , but there they were…..

Among plants that achieve cross-pollination via an abiotic vector, those with water-borne pollen are unlikely to rely on recirculatory collection through complex vortices (Ackerman 1997), because, all else being equal, flow in water is less turbulent than that in air (Ackerman 2000). For species whose pollen vector is the wind, our study joins others (Cresswell et al.2004, 2007) to demonstrate that recirculatory collection has a minor role in wind pollination in a disparate range of large receptors (ovulate cone, grass inflorescence, zoophilous flower). Overall, we propose that the functional significance of the attributes of wind-pollinated plants is to be understood primarily by reference to their shared principal mode of pollen receipt, which is impact collection. The differential performance that is likely to arise among plants with dissimilarly sized receptors now becomes a significant focus for future research.

References​