What's new

Please help me build my soil

yahooman

Good day to all,
I am transplanting soon into 3 gallon fabric pots soon and have started building my soil,i have put in 12 gallons of promix bx,4 gallons of worm castings and 4 gallons of perlite.i have the lime,but havent put it in yet i usually add 1 cup per 5 gallons of soil.

Im not a newb to growing,but i have little knowledge of organic ingredients and their npk values.

I also have gaia green grow and bloom,gaia green rock dust blend,gaia green gypsum,myco,this marine phytoplankton soil enhancer,liquid kelp,epsom salts.. i think thats it

I want to veg for 10 days in this soil,then go to flower time of 9 weeks.
Do i have enough ammendments and how much per gallon of each?
Then i guess i cook it for 2 weeks.

acespicoli

Plants must obtain the following mineral nutrients from their growing medium:[2]

WOULD READ THE SECTIONS BELOW - you need enough nutrition to complete the life cycle
or you need to feed regularly... this requires some planning

Chemistry
Cation and anion exchange
Cation exchange capacity (CEC)
Anion exchange capacity (AEC)
Reactivity (pH)
Nutrients

You can grow in compost and peat moss with some perlite and tomato tone or holly tone from epsoma
Ace Organic Potting Mix's

Discussion​

The goal of this study was to determine the optimal concentration of N, P, and K in the nutrient solution for the flowering stage of soilless cannabis production using RSM. The optimal concentrations of nutrient solution N and P was predicted to be approximately 194 mg L–1 N, and 59 mg L–1 P, respectively. Based on analysis of the response surface model, it was found N and P were the most important factors in predicting inflorescence yield. Inflorescence yield decreased markedly outside of the range of 160–230 mg L–1 N, and 40–80 mg L–1 P. These findings suggest that drug-type cannabis responds well to nitrogen and phosphorus during the flowering stage. Inflorescence yield did not respond to nutrient solution K concentration within the tested range, indicating the K currently supplied (300–400 mg L–1) by some commercial cultivators are likely too high.

I used to use tomato tone 3-4-6
after reading this study holly tone may be a better choice 4-3-4, K supplied (200 mg L–1)
1704158248599.png

@dank.frank has some good points on this subject, maybe he sees this and comments
check him out hes got plant pictures from his soil grows that will blow you away!

Last edited:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
you have everything you need for a good grow you just need to figure out how much GG to amend to your mix and how you will top dress it throughout the grow. I dont think adding lime at your usual rate will hurt anything but pro-mix already has lime added.

Have you checked out canucks method on YT? I saw a decent vid comparing different simple soil mixes and his approach looked good.

KIS

Soil mixes should really be formulated around your compost. So all these online recipes can be "off" to a certain extent depending on the fertility of your compost.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Yahooman,
Don't add the lime or any other amendment. You don't need to have controls for your Ph... If you truly have organic soil the microbial colonies regulate the soil Ph and all the nutrients that your plant will require throughout the entire growing season.
How your soil and plants interact is extremely complex and yet beautifully designed to be so simple at the same time. Go look through one of my threads, Making Marijuana Great Again or farmerlion's just a grow yah know.

My soil after 7 seasons is better than any soil I or you can buy on the market anywhere. Every 7 years the soil is to be given a year of rest. This is straight from the Bible and it's results have been proven a thousand times over.

I'm restarting with new grow bags and building new Fungal Repositories in each bag in preparation for the 2024 season. I will start soil preparation in April or the first day of May. Then I will germinate seeds and plant them June 1st thru the 10th.

I'm not going to cover the multitude of reasons why you shouldn't do anything that some of seasoned growers will share with you.
I will challenge you to study in depth Dr.Elaine Ingham and Dr. James White for starters. When you understand everything they discuss go back and listen to everything again.
You will have a better understanding of how your plants actually feed and that will be drastically different from 90% of the advice you will ever read here.
Peace farmerlion