What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

plants in veg are gettin too big

got a bunch of northern lights in 5 gal smartpots under t8's..they've been veggin for at least 60 days and it'll be that long or longer before the flowering room will be available..what would you do? flower them out under the t8's? top the shit out of em?..i've already tied them down twice(LST)..i just got too many started at once..please advise.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Flowering plants that big under T8's rarely goes well. I would take clones & chop up the mommas for edibles/etc.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
start over

calculate how long to clone till roots / grow clone to size from when you think your room is done, and even then things can happen that will delay your room being done..

nothing you really can do but wait if your waiting for your room to be done.. I just went through this, as I had to have a sink installed, air con installed, hook up gas line ... ..... took me a little longer to get done then I thought

what will happen if i top all the tops?...i keep lookin at these mfers and they keep growin..lol...how much of a plant can you cut off?

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
what will happen if i top all the tops?...i keep lookin at these mfers and they keep growin..lol...how much of a plant can you cut off?

Are you worried about running out of vertical space or having too much plant mass for your room? Topping tops will help with the former, but not the latter. Topping all the tops will lead to very bushy plants that will require a lot of space after a 120 day veg.

In your shoes I would probably start over. If you take cuts now they will root within a couple of weeks and you can still have 45 days or so of veg time before the clones would need to go in to flowers.

Pine

Are you worried about running out of vertical space or having too much plant mass for your room? Topping tops will help with the former, but not the latter. Topping all the tops will lead to very bushy plants that will require a lot of space after a 120 day veg.

In your shoes I would probably start over. If you take cuts now they will root within a couple of weeks and you can still have 45 days or so of veg time before the clones would need to go in to flowers.

Pine
couldnt i cut about 1/4 of the plant off at a time?..know what i mean?..cut off everything but the primary shoots then bend that shoot double?.it's not so much height as mass that i'm concerned about.

One Love 731

Veteran
Like others have said, take cuts and toss them bitches. Just tried this one again for the second time. Once again it failed. Small plants are always eaiser to keep healthy, happy and frosty.1:ying:

nukklehead

Dont know bout the smartpots but in plastic you can pull, cut plant down 3/4, cut off half rootball, replant in fresh soil. I have kept mommas alive for years with this method. Above methods will work also:)

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
if you were going to flower under HPS I'd say cut the plants back, transplant to bigger pots and grow some bushes

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Just an observation, don't veg for so long....I do SOG'S....the only veg time the plants get is waiting for the clones to root.....then it's straight on to 12/12....veg time is a waste of time.

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i don't think of it as veg plants getting to large, i think of it as flowering bulbs/floorspace being too small. ;)

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
If space and electrics are not a issue, lucky you if that is the case ;), i would cut them all back while doing a nice root pruning. Put some new soil in the 5gal pots and return them to the veg area. If space is a issue, i would choose the best looking one, take a few new cuts and plant outside/bin/give away/sell the other ones.
Of course that this would reduce the pheno diversity on the NL grow and you might repent from it in the end.
If you intend to give them another 60days of vegging you really need to do something about it ;)

If space and electrics are not a issue, lucky you if that is the case ;), i would cut them all back while doing a nice root pruning. Put some new soil in the 5gal pots and return them to the veg area. If space is a issue, i would choose the best looking one, take a few new cuts and plant outside/bin/give away/sell the other ones.
Of course that this would reduce the pheno diversity on the NL grow and you might repent from it in the end.
If you intend to give them another 60days of vegging you really need to do something about it ;)
my problem is i only have one, 1000 watt hps.lol

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
And...?

And...?

my problem is i only have one, 1000 watt hps.lol

I only got a 600W and no vegging area at the moment :comfort:
But we need to work with what we got in hands:)
So the questions are?
What´s going on under that 1000W? When will that space become free? Do you really need "a bunch" of NLs or can you reduce numbers? Can you take a couple of cuts from each NL root them up and then bin the mothers?