What's new

Plants 'can recognise themselves'

duddits

This is amazing! :yoinks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8076000/8076875.stm
Plants may be able to recognise themselves.

Experiments show that a sagebrush plant can recognise a genetically identical cutting growing nearby.

What's more, the two clones communicate and cooperate with one another, to avoid being eaten by herbivores.

The findings, published in Ecology Letters, raise the tantalising possibility that plants, just like animals, often prefer to help their relatives over unrelated individuals.

The ability to distinguish self from non-self is a vital one in nature.

It allows many animals to act preferentially towards others that are genetically related to themselves; for example, a female lion raising her young, or protecting other more distantly related cubs in her pride.

But the evidence that plants can do the same is limited and controversial.

It implies that plants are capable of more sophisticated behaviour than we imagined
Biologist Richard Karban

Some experiments have shown that if a plant's roots grow near to those of another unrelated plant, the two will try to compete for nutrients and water. But if a root grows close to another from the same parent plant, the two do not try to compete with one another.

However, in these experiments, when two cuttings of the same plant are then grown alongside each other, their roots still compete for resources. That infers that two separate plants cannot recognise that they are genetic kin.

Now research by Richard Karban of the University of California, in Davis, US and Kaori Shiojiri of Kyoto University in Otsu, Japan has revealed that some plants are capable of doing just that.

Keep it in the family

They took cuttings of Artemisia tridentata, a species of sagebrush that does not normally reproduce by cloning itself.

They placed each cutting either near its genetic parent, essentially its clone, or near an unrelated sagebrush, and let the plants grow in the wild in the University of California Sagehen Creek Natural Reserve. The researchers clipped each clone they planted, feigning damage that might be caused by natural herbivores such as grasshoppers.

After one year, they found that plants growing alongside their damaged clones suffered 42% less herbivore damage than those growing alongside damaged plants that were unrelated.

Somehow, the clipped plants appeared to be warning their genetically identical neighbours that an attack was imminent, and the neighbour should somehow try to protect itself. But clipped plants didn't warn unrelated neighbours.

Karban says he was "pretty surprised" at the results. "It implies that plants are capable of more sophisticated behaviour than we imagined."

Karban suspects the plants are communicating using volatile chemicals. When one plant is clipped, or comes under attack from herbivores, it emits these chemicals into the air, warning those around it to put up a defence, either by filling their leaves with noxious chemicals, or by physically moving their stems or leaves in some way to make themselves less palatable.

Because his team doesn't yet know exactly how the plants are communicating, others remain sceptical of the research, Karban admits.

"It's controversial," he says. "But through this communication process, sagebrush appears able to distinguish self from non self. And that opens up a lot of other possibilities."

Not least is that wild plants may preferentially be cooperating with their relatives.

There is no hard evidence yet to show this is true, says Karban.

But he hopes others will now do more research to investigate the possibility. In animals, cooperation between related individuals is recognised to be a powerful evolutionary force, one that has been given its own name: kin selection.

PiffGuru

Thats amazing... given that it isnt coincidence that one set isnt as eaten as another.. yet you cant ignore the root evidence..

i can already see growers being weary to talk bout choppin there crop around the plants.. as they might start revolting... lol

I cant wait to hear more empirical information on this subject.

L

LolaGal

I always take my clone babies and let the Mother and clone baby touch each other after they have rooted (clones).

I feel this keeps the Mom from hermie, as she knows she has reproduced asexually.

No nanners for me so far, on cloned Moms :D

searcher

of course they communicate with each other, plants are real chatty.. sometimes they won't shut up, I'm not one to tell a plant to be quite though. they are very opinionated. but they have enemies just like we do^.~

searcher

ah forgot to mention i do cull plants in the beginning of the season but i quietly walk them away from the other plants never to be seen again.. it's so hard to do=(

There have been a few studies that i can remember that have suggested that plants can "think", react, and communicate. Doubt much more research will ever come to fruition, not quickly at least. We've got more important matters to be throwing unlimited $$ at. Like climate change, stem cells research, and banks. haha. :p

O

Organic-Dank

this is true ! ah glad someone is posting some good info thanks for sharing !

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
thats y the other morning my plant went running out of the bathroom, it looked in the mirror while brushing its teef and realized it was a friggn gay plant.. man o man it better recognize... peace..

sack

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Speaking of plants communicating...
There has been a very interesting discovery in the field of botany regarding thrips and the way some plants actually produce odors intentionally to have thrips help them get pollinated.

Its been discovered that certain types of plants (cycads) produce odors which are attractive to thrips, and that the plants control the odors in a way which causes the thrips to carry their pollen to the opposite sex. Described as a "push-pull' effect, the male plants make an odor which is highly attractive to the thrips, so the thrips pick up pollen, then these same male plants change their odor and temperature so that the thrips leave and seek out the then more attractive female odor and temperature...thus carrying the pollen to the females.

Anyway...read more...very interesting stuff.
Perhaps that's why thrips find their way into some mj grows?
The males always seem to be the first plants to start stinking. food for thought eh!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/s...em&ex=1192075200&en=4b89af0ac146821b&ei=5087
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\10\08\story_8-10-2007_pg6_5

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Cannabis plants use the terpenes located in the resin glands to communicate with each other and other species.

Notice how they 'persuaded' us to grow them, breed them and propagate the species all over the world?

Quite clever!:yeahthats

Kaneh

Cannabis plants use the terpenes located in the resin glands to communicate with each other and other species.

Notice how they 'persuaded' us to grow them, breed them and propagate the species all over the world?

Quite clever!:yeahthats

LOL!!! Were slaves to these plants!!!

It's time for mutiny! POTHEADS ARISE!!!:dueling:

...or maybe I just go and smoke another one... LOL

L

LolaGal

Interesting post 10K, I'm outta rep..... (rep in spirit)

Cosmic Giggle: Got me laughing you did.... :D

turbolaser4528

Veteran
LOL!!! Were slaves to these plants!!!

It's time for mutiny! POTHEADS ARISE!!!:dueling:

...or maybe I just go and smoke another one... LOL

ahah its true though if you think about it. you could say the same for dogs and cats, we think they are less intelligent, yet we feed them, pet them and shelter them. whose smarter us or them? i think humans could definitely take a lesson in humility, we are on a high horse because we can build cool shit and destroy the planet:woohoo:

Skip

Veteran
I call this feature of plants AND animals the "genetic imperative". That is, all dna is capable of recognizing close relatives and the closer the genetic structure, the more cooperation between individuals of a species.

And the contrary is also true. The greater the difference in DNA, the less cooperation and more competition for resources.

In human beings this is manifested socially in our loyalties to family and ethnic group, which are stronger than those to country or other unrelated DNA group (normally).

This is very important when the individual's or group's "survival" is at stake, because that is what determines which "side" we choose to be on.

It can also explain a lot of other social disorders such as racism, ethnic cleansing, religious persecution, etc. It's simply our DNA protecting itself from extinction.

And it seems as though that is our PRIMARY function as life on this planet - to replicate our DNA, at whatever cost...

farroutfred

YES... Plants Do Communicate

YES... Plants Do Communicate

Among numerous varieties there is one who has shown something suggesting what the start of this thread suggests. My particular strain of " JEDI " has some features that could be compared to a medicinal mushroom, it is resistant to powdery mildew , high salts , heat , bud rot and so some degree insects. The buds are solid, heavy with resin , the resin falls from the dried
leaves easier than other varieties, the resin is more oily, the odor unique, the leaves large , stems are rigid Like the mushroom that stands strong for years , shiny , healthy , firm , in a moist polyculture forest where one critter consumes the other as fast as nature allows JEDI shows ability to protect itself.
Regarding the communication factor ... JEDI when grown next to other varieties will bolt ,, to get around this late planting or splitting 3-4 times to divide the energy are some tactics i've used . JEDI planted among other varieties will show what i've referred to as a "tropical" feature ,,, it gets the holeshot shoots up and throws giant leaves with leaf stems as long as a 12 inches over the top of every plant surrounding it capturing all the light. Allowing JEDI to do this does not add up to more flower weight per sq ft , basically it does well with all that light , but not so well that it makes up for the loss of those it shaded. Of interest here is how when planted among cuttings of its own kind ,,,,THE PLANTS STAY SHORT and don't crowd each other . I was wondering if the secret was in the root , but reading the thread here offers the VOC (volatile organic compound) "odors" as communication a possibility in how and why this is happening . I've seen this go on for the last 3 years in my multi variety gardens of 9 - 23 different strains. JEDI has shown this bold behavior that others seem to have not.

J

JackTheGrower

Finally.. I can say I know..

I opened my grow box and i swear it was like I had interrupted a conversation between my 6 plants.
I felt it, I sensed it and it was cool and a bit freaky all at the same time.

It was the strangest Sober experience..

At least in this thread I'm not going to sound crazy.

Jack

D

deathtosoapbar

thats y the other morning my plant went running out of the bathroom, it looked in the mirror while brushing its teef and realized it was a friggn gay plant.. man o man it better recognize... peace..

sack

:laughing: its ok man your plant was spotted at an Eartha Kitt tribute concert wearing a jimmy somerville t shirt....