What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good stuff not sure why my links broke.

Dude if ya do please chime in with results.

M

mugenbao

Dude if ya do please chime in with results.
Will do. Don't got access to anything like GG4 to run, so not sure how much of a comparison it will be, but I'll try to run something I'm familiar with to see if I can detect any differences.

t99

Veteran
I've noticed links work better here if you delete the http:// and just start it at www.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats right on mugenbao, if ya run it on stuff yer used to you should be able to see the diff. also if ya got time to do root inspections after harvest, that would be great.

M

mugenbao

Thats right on mugenbao, if ya run it on stuff yer used to you should be able to see the diff. also if ya got time to do root inspections after harvest, that would be great.
I always do root inspections :)

I do recycle soil, and I should probably try a no-till at some point, but up until now every rootball comes out of the pot at the end of the cycle.

I'll be curious to see if there are noticeable differences.

LouDog420

Cool info... Few things come to mind, and I preface that all by saying my knowledge of legumes is limited, but not totally non-existent ;)

From my knowledge and a quick read here, it certainly seems like there is a genetic factor, in addition to environmental, that encourages this symbiosis and allows the nitrogen fixing bacteria to flourish in addition to nodule creation. So the million dollar question?? Does cannabis or certain varieties of cannabis have this genetic ability (whether active or dormant, as there are other plants - non-legumes - which do have this ability, however it is not common outside of legumes even within the same genus or family of one of the rare plants that can...) Is the gene dormant and can be activated by a specific protein or compounds, or does it need genetic modification to accomplish such (in addition to providing the right environmental conditions)?

So I guess what I have to offer to the conversation is miniscule and probably a pipe dream, but an interesting idea which I'm sure is not original... I have a buddy who manages the greenhouse program for a large university and his focus is transgenic crops and increasing productivity through gene splicing... Not just genes from plants, but also bacteria, generally aimed at producing a certain protein or byproduct as a way to increase yield, pest/disease resistance, or drought resistance (depending on the goal of the project)... The gentleman leading up the genetic department who actually does the gene splicing is one of the best in the world at what he does... Best thing about it, if genetic is the transference of these genetic code to offspring... But you have to find that critical factor... Meaning, which protein/amino acid/compounds are key to that pathway, allowing for the symbiosis, and where are their regulating genes? Or instead of looking at similar plants that can accomplish such, why not just find the pathway the bacteria do it, and focus on their genes directly?? Imagine that, a cannabis plant that fixes its own nitrogen... No idea about its feasibility, but fun to think about! It would take some work and research if even possible. They've spliced together some amazing combinations already, and walking through their greenhouse complex is quite a trip... If I had to guess, there is a team out there right now working on exactly that, somewhere...

I'm sure there are plenty out there who would look at transgenic cannabis (the dreaded GMO!) with absolute fear and hatred, but this, in my opinion, would be a great use of genetic modification... Eliminating the need for cover crops, allowing significantly less amending, and most important, genetic transference after the initial gene splice making the project/seedline feasible if properly bred and maintained...

Or just run more plants, and don't worry about maxing out yield :D Ha!

I do also believe you won't see a 70% increase like some of the cases linked to given cannabis and its diet requirements, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to experiment. And if cost effective, could be implemented on a large scale with significant gains to profit margins if we're talking something like 20%+ yield increase... 1000lb annual op suddenly has an extra 200 units on hand, not a bad thing!

Good vibes all

LouDog420

Tony have you done a side by side yet??

Same cut, same space, one with rhizo, one without?? I would like to see that and might be able to lend a hand... Just getting my feet back into organics

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
kind of but not same pot size, gonna do that soon as i get time here, should free up after this seed run is done.

Stuff to think about for sure, i have read some studies on transgenic plants, some simple protocols can be accomplished lab, hehehe

Im gonna do some research and see if there is more info that might lend itself in that regard.

M

mugenbao

I was just thinking of this thread the other day... I was wondering if you used a cover crop that is known to work with the inoculants described above as well as a good myco inoculant, might that cover crop share a mycorrhizal network with the cannabis and both crops obtain benefits of the nitrogen fixers, even if it's in a less direct way?

I haven't thought about it too deeply to consider whether I'm missing something with this idea, it was just something that popped into my head, I guess :D