What's new

Peacefrog's Summer Haze Seed Sexing Run

Peacefrog

Veteran
Hi there. I smoke a lot of weed. I consider myself a pothead of discriminating tastes. I grow my own weed to get exactly what I want and not have to pay the man taxes. I've grown out many seeds over the years and I know what I like. I'm excited about this grow and I want to record it and share it with anyone that cares to look.

Like many of my compadres on icmag, my tastes lean towards strains that elevate my mood and don't tire me out so I gravitate towards anything sativa or haze related. Life circumstances have limited me to growing hybrids over the last couple of years. Now I have built a solid inventory of a variety of strains and it's time to play.

I mostly grow feminized seeds because of limited space. Every once in a while I'll do a sexing run of regular seeds and the stars have aligned enough for me to do a run of especially challenging seeds. Like I said, I'm excited about this run because I have absorbed an enormous amount of hype over the strains involved and my god I have seen some pictures that make me want to grow those seeds out!

Here's a family shot of this run that will probably won't see a harvest until 2025.
View media item 18718688
Red = Acid Beauty from @MAHA KALA , first seeds to show tails in the run, they want to be grown!

View media item 18718682
Purple = DF-13 Haze
View media item 18718683
Green = Mindblower Haze
View media item 18718686
Blue = Grand Funk, all these seedlings are much shorter than the others but have very long flowering stretchy leafs.
View media item 18718684
Yellow = Tom Hill Haze repro from @PandoraSeedBank

View media item 18718687
Black = NHxMM from @ojd x Nirvana Eldorado = my own creation, this is the 1 out of 6 seeds that germinated. I did something wrong before I stored these seeds. The germination rate has been horrible.
View media item 18718685
I'm just getting started on these seeds with low light intensity appropriate for the hot summer months. My plan is to pot up all these seedlings into some healthy soil with some Blumats providing some water while I leave this residence for a few weeks. When I get back in late July I will hopefully have identified the plants I want to carry on and will take clones and start over. I don't expect to grow out any of the seed plants but those Grand Funks are showing an inclination to stay short and they may be manageable.

Anyway, this is the start of a journey. I want to record this grow for posterity so here we go!

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
nice! I am looking forward to the show :lurk:

good luck!

DF13haze

full

PandoraSeedBank

Boutique Breeder
Hello peacefrog, good luck with that project, I hope you find excellent plants from all of them.

Tom hill haze has a lot of genetic variety, the best genotypes in my taste are the most NLD and long flowering, I hope I find some in those 3 seeds.

How was the % germination?

All the best!

Peacefrog

Veteran
Happy Friday! Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Hello peacefrog, good luck with that project, I hope you find excellent plants from all of them.

Tom hill haze has a lot of genetic variety, the best genotypes in my taste are the most NLD and long flowering, I hope I find some in those 3 seeds.

How was the % germination?

All the best!

I had 100% germination on the 15 purchased seeds using the paper towel method. Two of the THH seeds took a couple days longer to show tails than the others but they've basically caught up now. All 3 of the THH have a stretchy NLD look to them, as much as I can tell from 3 week old seedlings.

My homemade cross of NHxMM x Eldorado was only 1 for 6 on germination and it was the last one to crack of the whole batch. I knew from prior experience that I would be lucky if I got any seeds from that cross to crack so it's a bonus to get even one. Hopefully it's a female. I invested several months trying to flower out its Eldorado aunt but it was too wild and slow to contain indoors. This cross might still be too wild. If it is I have plenty of other plants in this grow to play with.

The seedlings have another set of leaves and are starting to differentiate themselves. They are resting now. I'll get some updated pics after they wake up.

Peacefrog

Veteran
I topped off the pots and moved the seedlings to a new tent with a dimmable light turned down to 20%. They will have a brief stay in this tent and then on to bigger pots and a more spacious tent where they will be left for a few weeks to find their way to maturity.

Here's a family shot. Progress is slow at this stage but some characteristics are starting to emerge.

full

A closer look at each strain ... first up the Acid Beauties. #2 has a stunted leaf on one side but it looks like the new leaf set is developing fully on both sides. The leaf shape is a little more rounded than the rest of the tent which I wouldn't have expected for this cross (Acid pheno of Original Haze x Black Vietnamese). They are all showing some early stretch with #1 especially tall, possibly an early indicator of a male.

full

Next is the DF13 Haze - (Sour Diesel x F13) x Original Haze. There's a little height variation in this one already. The middle one was a day or two behind the others but still looks to be more compact than the others.

full

Speaking of compact, check out these Grand Funk - (Arcata Trainwreck x Thai) x Original Haze. The much stretchier THH seedlings are towering in the background.
full

Here's a better look at the Grand Funk leaf pattern. They certainly look to be indoor friendly but it's still early.
full

Moving on to the Tom Hill Haze. These have the biggest leaves and are the tallest in the tent. Not looking indoor friendly at this point but that won't stop me. #1 was 3 days ahead of the other 2 but I think it just wants to stretch.
full

Up next is Mind Blower - Hawaiian Paki Thai x Original Haze. They aren't as stretchy as some of the others, possibly more indoor friendly.
full

Finally, here's the single homemade seed of (NHxMM) x Eldorado that survived. It looks very tame at this point.
full

That's all for tonight. In the next few days I'll be potting them up and moving them to their new home for wayward youth. Good night!

Peacefrog

Veteran
Greetings! The kids have been moved to their summer home and got some new dirt to dip their toes in. I don't usually pot up this many plants in one sitting. That was a lot of work! Setting up the Blumats probably took longer than repotting but it makes things so much easier in the long run and they allow me to leave my plants for weeks at a time. So the work pays off in the end but it's still work.

I used some reclaimed flowering soil from last year amended with a dry organic veg blend and EWC. I was a little worried that it might be too hot for the seedlings but they seem to be taking it to just fine. They better like it because that and water is all they will get to eat for the next 4+ weeks.

This is my main 5x5 flowering tent with a Growers Choice 720 watt LED, which is massive overkill for this project. I'm starting out at 15% on the light with about 5 feet between the light and the plants. PPFD is about 80 at seedling level. I may slowly work it up to 20% but that will probably be the max for this stage. Thanks to the Trolmaster Tent-X I can control the lighting intensity in 1% increments remotely - that was such an awesome addition to my garden that I bought a second one for my 4x4 tent.

The tags are color coded similar to the seedling pots. No individual pics in this update since they don't look much different than they did 3 days ago.

Yellow = Tom Hill Haze
Red = Acid Beauty
White = (NHxMM) x Eldorado
Blue = Grand Funk
Purple = DF13 Haze
Green = Mind Blower
full

I'll be leaving these plants unattended for most of July. Assuming the Blumats do their thing and keep them alive they should be showing sex by the time I get back and then I can decide what to do next. The main plan is to flower out clones of the females and get some primo ganja and maybe a keeper or two. But it might be fun to cull all but one male and let the seed plants flower out and make some seeds and find out how the females grow. I think my practical side will kill that idea but it's fun to dream when the plants are only a couple of inches tall and there's plenty of space in the tent.

I have a security camera mounted in the tent so I can keep an eye on things while I'm gone but it doesn't take very good still photos so it might be a while before I can post any quality updates. I have an old cell phone I could mount in the tent and use a remote control app to snap some better quality photos. Anyone have experience doing something like this?

That's all for tonight. Good night!