What's new

Panama x PCK

Black Venus

I'm trying Panama x PCK this year, and I got twins!

Panama x PCK twins.jpg

They are not separate plants, they're joined at the root. Both shoots were almost equally dominant.

Here they are now, a month later. Still growing in a balanced way with neither dominating the other.

DSC_0012.jpg

I've tried Panama before and love it, but I grow outdoors in the UK and I have to concede that Panama in its pure form doesn't do too well in the British climate. It grows beautifully but I always have a battle with mould. I wanted to see whether this hybrid suits my climate any better, while still giving some Panama effects. I've never come across anything else like Panama, it has something truly unique about it.

I'm also hoping it will give me some pretty colours. That would be nice.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome to ICMag @Black Venus :D I'm glad you enjoyed Panama so much and that you have some Panama x PCK going this outdoor season. The cross with PCK is indeed much more suitable for your latitude and wet-cold weather than straight Panama. Happy you got twins from one seed :gaga::gaga:

You are a doing a bit late. Let the soil get very dry, and then use a knife to separate both plants. Transplant them into bigger pots, each in a different pot, and water them with a root stimulator at the correct pH such as Rhizotonic. Hopefully, they will have time to develop a decent structure in a few weeks before flowering.

Black Venus

Thank you @dubi for the advice and the welcome, it's much appreciated.

There is a reason for starting them late. I grow in a domestic garden and we have a hostile legal situation in the UK. For years I battled with plants which always got too big (they can grow huge even in the UK climate) so I was constantly pruning and bending them to keep them hidden behind the fence, and getting anxious about how much smell they produced. A few years ago (following a tip from somebody on a forum) I discovered that the solution was to start my seeds later in the season, so that they naturally produce smaller plants which fit my space without having to bend or prune. Most of my seeds are sown in mid May, and anything I want to grow in the greenhouse is not sown until June, as the plants grow so much bigger in the greenhouse. This works very well and allows me to have lots of small-ish plants, which also enables me to try out lots of different varieties. :love:

Latest posts

Latest posts