What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

OUTDOOR GROWS 2024 ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

mountainoutlaw

PRESERVING SEED

What's everyone's take on preservation of their outdoor seed. I have mine in the little dry tubes, but will putting them in dry freezer or something keep them viable longer? How's everyone store their seed?

PRESERVING SEED

What's everyone's take on preservation of their outdoor seed. I have mine in the little dry tubes, but will putting them in dry freezer or something keep them viable longer? How's everyone store their seed?

Seed is left in packaging, put in Tupperware glass containers which is then put in a dark green garbage bag and stored in a vegetable crisper in the fridge. Seeds are only around 4 years old and popping easily.

Janborrego

PRESERVING SEED

My dried seeds are kept in zip lock bags in the fridge. They are in vials or small containers marked then separated by photo Auto or Fems. Then I can find what I am looking for. I have seeds from 2016 I just popped. 3 out of 5 popped .

therevverend

Veteran
Typical spring weather in the PNW. One day it's sunny and warm, then it's cool and wet for 3 days. A few of the plants have been oversaturated by wet but they're all growing fast now that there's 70 degree F days mixed in with the cool wet ones.

These are old pictures, from a couple weeks back, when I was struggling to upload them. I'll have some more recent pictures soon. Here's a purple Sprite. It's got it's own whole deep in the ground, at least twice the size as it looks in this picture.

20240517_154508 1.jpg

Here's a Chimtal hashplant from northern Afghanistan.

20240517_155504.jpg

A (Sunshine daydream x 5g blue) X Purple Bomb
20240517_154326 1.jpg

Already getting fantastic smells from quite a few of these. These progressed quite a bit beyond where they are in these pictures. Some are in the ground, others are in bigger pots. They've far outgrown the small square ones.

Attachments

• 20240517_154610 3.jpg
    20240517_154610 3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32

therevverend

Veteran
Took a couple of photos today, to show the progress in growth. All my plants are started and grown entirely under sunlight. My growing situation is a little tumultuous this year, not going to be able to grow as many as I normally do at my usual spot. I started two weeks later than normal so they're a little behind. They're catching up fast.

Some of these strains are getting complicated, it's getting hard to write out all the names. I could make up new names for them but until I grow them out and see what they do it's hard to name them something appropriate.

This is my biggest plant, has been from day 1. Well, 2nd biggest because a friend gifted me one that's taller and lankier. It's (Hindu Purple Kush x M10 Afghan #1) X (Buddha's sister x Super Silver Haze). The first pic was taken on May 6th, the 2nd is how it looks today May 31st. So 3 weeks 4 days. The amount of growth in May is incredible.

20240506_122821.jpg

20240531_164402.jpg

The next is a Jah Gooey Fruity. Can't wait to see how it does. I have a couple going in eastern Washington, on the warm side of the state, as well.

20240506_122812.jpg

20240531_164516.jpg

The seeds for this strain came from nuggynic. Just checked out his website; he's got a crazy amount of strains. Looks like you can also get them at Great Lakes Genetics, one of the best places to buy seeds.

It's apples and bananas X Jah Goo. I had a female last year that was excellent, turned purple, had a great smell and strong mold resistance in a bad year. Nic is another big plant guy, grows 10 lb giants. Even though I'm quite lucky to get a 1lb plant I gravitate towards the big plants because they tend to be vigorous and potent.

Old Piney

PRESERVING SEED
It's my understanding that seeds stored for less then ten years are best stored in the fridge in a air tight container. For seeds stored longer you might consider freezing them you ,will lose a percentage and you have to be careful moving them while frozen.The embryo is easily damaged then .I had a bunch of seeds frozen from 1993 to 2014 with about 50 percent germination. I used a Tupperware container with the seeds in paper packs and a silica pack inside

mountainoutlaw

It's my understanding that seeds stored for less then ten years are best stored in the fridge in a air tight container. For seeds stored longer you might consider freezing them you ,will lose a percentage and you have to be careful moving them while frozen.The embryo is easily damaged then .I had a bunch of seeds frozen from 1993 to 2014 with about 50 percent germination. I used a Tupperware container with the seeds in paper packs and a silica pack inside
Noted and appreciated.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plants are doing well, been cooler this week. They are adjusting to low light and getting taller as usual. The leaves are beginning to expand. Next week has several rounds of rain and temps in the low 80's F so they will get some good growth.

Saw a little bit of nitrogen burn due to difficulty mixing the plot and may need to dial the rate back next time. Its pretty minor and is what I saw last year. Relatively small spots on a few lower leaves, and all the new leaves are unaffected and expanding well. Should do well especially with abundant moisture in the next few days. Will help wash out the nitrogen a little. Then we will see some awesome growth! :smoke:

Going to be on the low side with the rate when doing a broadcast application later in the month. Will be using Healthy Grow 3-3-3 which is chicken manure, feather meal and potash and also using cottonseed meal like last year.

Straw phase. Should see great things this week. Stood a few of them up and pulled the runts. Had a nice rain today about 1/2 inch. :smoke:
full

full

One of the volunteer plants snapped and was weak rooted anyway, so got it pulled out. The other one is cooking along pretty well and is going to be a high yielder! Has about 2 months lead on the other plants. Pruned twice so far, may do one more topping or more if necessary. Want to let it grow up with the other plants and not tower too much above the canopy.

full

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking forward to everyone’s efforts this year, l can see there’s been some work put in 😉😉
Anyway l just thought I’d share a few photos from a couple of weeks back.
Anichist Cookbook
View attachment 19009417 View attachment 19009418 View attachment 19009419
A 5gs Purple, keeper pheno. View attachment 19009420 View attachment 19009421 And, of course, the third and final pick of the Blackdog. View attachment 19009422 View attachment 19009423 View attachment 19009424 Have a good one,
Cheers,
Simple dependable mix. The humus from bark must be really great for the soil. Bark mulch grows really good turfgrass and its all shreded composted bark. Do you top dress fertilize?
Just native soil with years of bark from my wood pile composted in. I work in little lime and aged chicken manure every year too
PRESERVING SEED

Airtight in the refrigerator is best. When freezing have to be careful to thaw them out slowly or thaw in the fridge I have read.

If you are for preservation through fire or theft, may be good to do what Tom Hill does, bury them in an ammo can about 3 feet in the side of a hill. Stays cool. He says its best to check germination rate and reproduce the line about every 10 years.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Happy Harvest @40degsouth ! What is the background on the Black Dog? Looks like a winner plant with lots of trichomes on the flower bract leaves.

Great start Flowerpower! Will be able to find some winners out of that bunch! Are they mostly from seed or clones? That Headband x Haze is going to reach the sky this time! Are they showing male/female preflowers yet? :smoke:

Hey Reverend! Looks like some awesome strains and doing well despite the rainy days! Sun usually shows up at one point or another since days are getting long. Always some interesting combinations, hope harvest goes smoother this year.

Jah Gooey Fruity sounds like a great line. Looks like a special plant with the purple coloration on leaf margins and emerging leaves.

Also will be fun to see that Afghan. What type of effect and flavor does it have?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thankfully getting enough rain, don't have to worry about watering the plot. Enjoy the extra free time. God is taking good care of them! Will be plenty of work to be done. Better rest up, its a long season ahead.

Will be doing one more top dress with the Healthy grow with a low rate, maybe half rate, and cottonseed meal. Then top dressing for July and August will be only Cottonseed meal to prevent burn.

Will be using composted bark mulch once males are pulled for easier watering. Will help improve the soil too. Thanks for the tip @Old Piney. Plot has developed a heavy clay texture since I dug extra deep the first year or 2. I prefer to only dig a shovel deep to bring up less heavy clay. Its only required to cultivate to 4-5 inches for garden bed preparation when mixing in fertilizer.

It is good to loosen up the soil lower down though if its hardpan to allow the roots to get down during dry periods, and improve drainage.

Usually too wet to dig very deep in the spring anyways.

vadervader

Veteran
Update on the landraces!
LEB27, Lebanese have at least triple it size. 40-50 cm.
Quetta, Paki landrace, more bushy, wide leaves , 30-40 cm.

The seeds didn't go well at all. Eaten.

Put out some autos.
WW, Brutalis, Candyfloss (Sour diesel), G13, NXXL (Gorilla glue).

Feed with Formulex, algae (kelp) and bokashiwater

Attachments

• IMG20240603145134_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    IMG20240603145134_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG20240603145130_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    IMG20240603145130_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG20240603150215_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    IMG20240603150215_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG20240603145708_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    IMG20240603145708_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG20240603145336_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    IMG20240603145336_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG20240603145314_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    IMG20240603145314_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    838.1 KB · Views: 28

therevverend

Veteran
Also will be fun to see that Afghan. What type of effect and flavor does it have?
The mother, the Hindu Purple Kush X Afghan M10, was a favorite 2 years ago. It was a tall upright pheno with long branches vs the squat hashplant pheno. The flowers had a wonderful light purple but strong hashy flavor. The effects were just great. Relaxing without being heavy-headed, anxiety reducing, pain relieving.

The other half of the hybrid, SSH x Buddha's sister, was one of the most fragrant males ever. The smell was amazing, sweet incense of tropical fruit. Very excited to see how these turn out. Last year I grew out the Huckleberry Punch X (SSH x Buddha's sister), from the same male, and it was excellent in every way. Large vigorous plant with long candelabra branches with wonderful fragrant sweet purple spears that were mold resistant.