What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

OUTDOOR GROWS 2024 ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

Old Piney

So I know this is not the correct place to ask but outdoor plants have mold issues, we all know that. I've been trimming my grow that I removed tiny amounts of bud rot here and there from, during the grow, nothing major,

I was breaking the buds apart and looking at them with my 60x - 120x scope and I think there may be the slightest slightest trace of wispy stuff still in there. Like you have to search for it.

Should I pitch the whole grow, will it just keep growing and spreading in jars even if they are sufficiently dry?

I'm kind of torn, I'm sure i've smoked a bunch of mold in my life just from being a heavy user. My lungs are fucked up and I know it. But mold is all around us all the time, on food, in bathrooms, etc.

What's the ethics here? This bud looks good to the naked eye. If its contaminated its like point 3 percent (.3) I know its not good, but at super trace amounts how bad can it be? If I didn't look under the scope I would probably not have thought twice of it other than knowing I picked off a couple small obvious spots of bud rot at various points in the grow.
Yeah I know what you mean, you see a little mold visible to the naked eye then check the rest of the bud with the scope. Then you see that little fuzz creeping all over. then I find myself doing spot checks just to see if it's everywhere. So what I've determined is if I see no sign with my readers (old guy) its not there, but if I see some look with the scope to see how far it grown. That's what I do and I'm good with it

laszlokovacs

Though I may still try some autos as well just to avoid the idea of late season risk.
Depends where you are but autos will still easily mold if its wet... East coast heavy rain here in July and mold popped up on some autos @ harvest. maybe 10% loss or less though. If youre growing in pots pushing calcium/sulfur/nutrition might help... healthier plants are more potent and resist mold a lot better
🤔 never thought about having to build a hoop over that 12fter in case of rain. Should probably figure that out sooner rather than later
Thats the plan for sure. I have a hoop house plastic tarp 25x40 i just gotta figure out how i can build one to cover as many plants as possible
Maybe try HDPE plastic sheeting like they use for construction? I recently had my kitchen done and it was covered in clear plastic sheets during painting and plastering. As soon as I saw it i said this is basically a greenhouse cover.

Youre set up looks stacked- beautiful plants! Not sure the dimensions. If you can fit everything under a 25x40 tarp/plastic great. If not maybe try doing individual plants some thing like t-posts and then at the top thread 9 gauge utility wire or larger wire threaded through the post holes to make a hoop shape on top. Some sort of 3D printed grafting clip should or a good facsimile should keep the plastic sheeting on there.

I grow vegetables and seed starts this way except the wire goes in ground with no t-post and they get covered in frost/shade cloth. It probably takes me 15 minutes to set up and I can unclip and uncover in about 2 minutes if I want to and cover up again in the same amount of time. If you end up using plastic sheeting and pulling it taught the water will just roll right off and the sheeting/wire is pretty thick and sturdy.

I was going to do this with my plants this year but the forecast pipeline posted looks pretty ideal. My stuff usually copes with rain ok, and I dont really feel like spending much any more on this grow. Hopefully your season ends nicely idk where ur at tho

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plant has been wilted like this for several weeks, it was time to chop it. Just poor root health due to soil being compacted I guess. I inspected the roots, they seemed healthy. Didn't see signs of root rot.

full

full

full

full

full

Plants are building flowers well!

full

full

full

full

Sativa Candy Chunk 'Original'

full

Sativa Candy Chunk 'Original' -- 3 plants in the center all have red stems and similar original phenotype cherry pine resin.

full

full

full

full

full
----Update to Pipeline Farms 2024---- :smoke: :plant grow: Enjoy!! :smoke:

Plants are spaced out well and should do pretty well in the wet spell. They are really going to produce after that!

Found a couple rare leaflets absolutely chewed to just a thin film by dozens of little baby caterpillars. Smashed them all. The tent caterpillars are bad here I think. Haven't seen the caterpillars this past weekend, must have been the cooler weather slowing them down. Maybe they burrowed in the buds. Some of them got eaten I hope. :smoke:

Holyherb420

Veteran
Depends where you are but autos will still easily mold if its wet... East coast heavy rain here in July and mold popped up on some autos @ harvest. maybe 10% loss or less though. If youre growing in pots pushing calcium/sulfur/nutrition might help... healthier plants are more potent and resist mold a lot better

Maybe try HDPE plastic sheeting like they use for construction? I recently had my kitchen done and it was covered in clear plastic sheets during painting and plastering. As soon as I saw it i said this is basically a greenhouse cover.

Youre set up looks stacked- beautiful plants! Not sure the dimensions. If you can fit everything under a 25x40 tarp/plastic great. If not maybe try doing individual plants some thing like t-posts and then at the top thread 9 gauge utility wire or larger wire threaded through the post holes to make a hoop shape on top. Some sort of 3D printed grafting clip should or a good facsimile should keep the plastic sheeting on there.

I grow vegetables and seed starts this way except the wire goes in ground with no t-post and they get covered in frost/shade cloth. It probably takes me 15 minutes to set up and I can unclip and uncover in about 2 minutes if I want to and cover up again in the same amount of time. If you end up using plastic sheeting and pulling it taught the water will just roll right off and the sheeting/wire is pretty thick and sturdy.

I was going to do this with my plants this year but the forecast pipeline posted looks pretty ideal. My stuff usually copes with rain ok, and I dont really feel like spending much any more on this grow. Hopefully your season ends nicely idk where ur at tho
Thanks for the advice! Ill look into the plastic sheeting for sure if i cant figure something out with this one. Its a greenhouse platic i ordered 2 years ago and bust out when it rains. Never had anything this big though lol.

Im in zone 9 so i have a pretty long season usually before any frosts

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
Had a little bit of an accident at the farm lol. We left for the day and I had left the plants under a plastic awning in case it rained. When we came back it was very windy, and the awning had ripped in a way where it and the wires attached were rubbing over and pretty much whipping my plants and shredding them and thrashing them around.

2 of them were completely destroyed and I threw them away. Some plants got their main buds burned and dried because of the awning rubbing and whipping them for hours. So I had to top 2 plants, and pull several branches off them. One of the Syrians had it's stem snapped but I was able to fix it with duct tape.

Not the best pictures because I was quite angry and stressed 🤣 Anyway I'm left with 15 plants, some of them mutilated but all of them lookinh happy this morning. Life goes on.
IMG_20240909_125325.jpg

IMG_20240909_102034.jpg

IMG_20240909_095943.jpg

Old Piney

Had a little bit of an accident at the farm lol. We left for the day and I had left the plants under a plastic awning in case it rained. When we came back it was very windy, and the awning had ripped in a way where it and the wires attached were rubbing over and pretty much whipping my plants and shredding them and thrashing them around.

2 of them were completely destroyed and I threw them away. Some plants got their main buds burned and dried because of the awning rubbing and whipping them for hours. So I had to top 2 plants, and pull several branches off them. One of the Syrians had it's stem snapped but I was able to fix it with duct tape.

Not the best pictures because I was quite angry and stressed 🤣 Anyway I'm left with 15 plants, some of them mutilated but all of them lookinh happy this morning. Life goes on.
View attachment 19063753
View attachment 19063754
View attachment 19063755
That sucks! I've been thinking about covering some of my plants lesson learned

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry to hear about that. If its one thing its another. Chalk it up to training I guess. Glad you have some crop to ripen up and harvest. Hope you are able to get enough yeild for a good supply. You could probably get another crop going for the winter. Start some seeds or get some clones!

Thats a cheap lesson for everyone, make sure to secure the awnings!

The rain forecast has backed off a little bit here. Looks like we will get some dry periods and not a completely wet 2 day period. As long as they have some time to dry out, mold shouldn't be able to take hold as much hopefully.

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
Sorry to hear about that. If its one thing its another. Chalk it up to training I guess. Glad you have some crop to ripen up and harvest. Hope you are able to get enough yeild for a good supply. You could probably get another crop going for the winter. Start some seeds or get some clones!

Thats a cheap lesson for everyone, make sure to secure the awnings!

The rain forecast has backed off a little bit here. Looks like we will get some dry periods and not a completely wet 2 day period. As long as they have some time to dry out, mold shouldn't be able to take hold as much hopefully.
Thanks for the condolences my friend 🤣
It's gonna be fine, I will probably lose like 15-20% of the harvest. It is a good lesson indeed, they say you learn something new with every grow haha. Thankfully I have a good stash, almost a full drawer of my freezer. I get yelled at by the gf quite often for it but it's worth it 😂 It will probably be full when I also freeze these baggies I'm finishing.
IMG_20240909_121901.jpg

Those are from the CBD plants I harvested in June if you remember.

And by the way it's one of these fuckers in case anyone's wondering. I bought it for 10€ at the Chinese store.
IMG_20240910_182311.jpg

We have a saying in Spanish that goes "lo barato sale caro" (cheap stuff ends up costing expensive. Often true.

moose/MI

I thought I would mention how happy I am with putting a half of a rotting avocado 🥑 in each of my containers.

If gives me a quick glance into the health of that mini ecosystem. Moisture, etc.
If the worms are happy and all balled up under there having a party 🥳
Then I figure all the rest are probably happy too.

It's giving me a little more confidence in the 20gal size that I'm running for the first time this season.
I normally run 30gal as my minimum.
I was concerned that maybe the 20gal was to small and would get too hot.

Anyway, just something I tried this season that seems like a winner for the amount of effort.

Attachments

• 20240911_104304.jpg
    20240911_104304.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240911_104258.jpg
    20240911_104258.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240911_104103.jpg
    20240911_104103.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240911_104044.jpg
    20240911_104044.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19

cellardwellar420

I would like to grow some outdoor plants next summer, The landscape features a temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers, shaped by its proximity to the ocean and surrounding fjords and mountains. Warm ocean currents, such as the Gulf Stream, moderate temperatures, while the terrain is characterized by steep valleys, waterfalls, and lush green areas. This climate supports diverse vegetation, including orchards and forests, and provides an ideal environment for agriculture and outdoor activities.

I have 12 seeds of Purple satelite from ACE seeds.

Any tips ideas?

The region i am describin, lies around 60 degrees north latitude. This places it in the high northern hemisphere, similar to other areas with a temperate maritime climate influenced by the North Atlantic Ocean.