What's new

Our Bunny Buds - house rabbits as a pet for stoners

In a recent thread in another forum, there was a brief discussion of rabbits as the ideal pet for the budding herbalist. Not only are rabbits actually delightful creatures to have as a house pet, their manure is one of nature’s best fertilizers. And, considering their prodigious appetite for green roughage, they serve the added purpose of acting as a live furry little garbage disposal for small stems and similar garden waste.

We are quite familiar with bunnies, one of our members once bred large numbers of rabbits as a part of a sophisticated collective breeding program. Another member of the 3LB’s raised rabbits as a part of 4-H projects, winning a number of prizes thru the years, including a Grand Champion. And, as far back as 25 years ago, Foghorn had his first house bunny pet. Over the years our attitudes have changed, and so have the ways our bunnies are treated, so we’d like to share the wealth of our experience for the benefit of others who might be interested in bringing a bunny into their home (and rabbit manure into their garden)..

Obviously, our rabbits were once bred and raised to be slaughtered and eaten, much like any other “livestock”. However, after longer term exposure to “house bunnies”, we’ve learned that rabbits are amazing animals with real intelligence and personality. Our bunnies are beloved pets like a dog or cat, and eating a rabbit to us is no more appealing than eating the family dog!

Rabbits are great pets, but please remember they are actually quite intelligent critters with real personalities and the ability to learn. House bunnies can (and should) be housetrained much like a cat, and once that’s accomplished, they should be given “the run” of carefully selected portions of your home. To be healthy, a house bunny needs some room to run and stretch out their legs, they need interaction on a daily basis, as well as a good “home” where they can rest and/or sleep.

Bunnies are playful and wilful creatures, as a “herd” animal rather than a “pack” animal (like a dog for instance), they are more independent than man’s best friend. In the social sense, they are probably more similar to house cats. Like a cat, there are times where a house bunny can be aloof, but overall they are probably a bit more friendly and social than a feline. Rabbits can be affectionate and playful, and a responsive and attentive owner can even expect “bunny kisses” from their little furry friends if their bunny is happy.

As we’ve said, house bunnies make great pets, but they also require real attention like a cat or dog. Like many other furry friends, a rabbit will shed to an extent, so the occasional grooming is necessary, and because bunny fur is so soft and fine, it’s more likely to get airborne and cause allergy problems. Like dogs and cats, rabbits need their nails trimmed too, so many of the tasks that are essential for other house-pets, also apply to rabbits. Fortunately, rabbits shouldn’t be bathed like a dog, so they are lower maintenance than dogs or cats in some ways, and over all they are probably slightly less expensive to maintain than more common household companions.

Be prepared to protect power cords, phone cords, and the like, that may be exposed in the areas where your bunny is allowed, somehow is seems that thin cords look like linguini to rabbits. Generally it is also wise to keep valued books and other similar items out of a bunny’s reach, something about book covers and bindings seems to invite nibbling. Once an area is “bunny proofed” by observing a few essentials like the previous precautions, then you and your bunny will be able to relax together without worry.

A few years back we wrote a “manure manual / guano guide” designed to help folks with understanding the usefulness of a variety of different animal wastes in gardening. It’s got a pretty wide variety of information, and we’ll be featuring it’s here at the Cannabis Chronicles in the near future. There’s really no doubt in our minds, rabbit manure rates with worm castings as the most effective and useful garden fertilizers we’ve experienced. So, from a gardening perspective, rabbit manure is a very attractive “by-product” of having a house bunny. Since dog and cat manures aren’t at all useful to the budding herbalist, this may very well be the deciding factor in some individual’s choice of an environmentally friendly house pet.

Tweedy bird will tell you that our “Guano Guide’s” description of the usefulness of rabbit manure was very conservative. She’s used 100% fresh bunny manure as a potting medium back when she was breeding rabbits, and found great success. She found that fresh rabbit manure was very effective as a potting medium, and it did not burn even sensitive plants like African Violets. So, in our minds at least, it’s not even necessary to compost bunny poop, especially when applied outdoors. Inside, it’s primarily an aesthetics question, composted rabbit waste is probably preferable for indoor gardeners since composting will eliminate any potentially offensive odors..

With that in mind, it seems appropriate to briefly quote what we wrote about rabbit manure, before returning to finish this short guide.

Rabbit Manure (2.4-1.4-0.6) - is the hottest of the animal manures. It may even be higher in nitrogen than some poultry manures. As an added bonus it also contains fairly high percentages of phosphates. Because of it’s high nitrogen content, rabbit crap is best used in small quantities (as a light top dressing or lightly mixed into soil) or composted before use. An excellent fertilizer by itself, some folks combine rabbit hutches with worm farms to create what is a potentially very rich source of nutritious worm castings. As with other animal manures, healthier animals fed a nutritious diet will produce a superior manure fertilizer.

Most folks think of pressed “rabbit pellets” as the most common and useful food for rabbits, certainly we’ve used our share thru the years. Alfalfa is a decent rabbit food, and most commercial rabbit feeds are made from alfalfa pressed into pellets. The truth is that those pellet foods are produced for commercial rabbit production, and they aren’t necessarily the best choice a responsible house rabbit “parent” can make. Pellets often contain too high a level of calcium, which can damage the longer term health of bunnies that aren’t being raised and bred to produce as many offspring (food) as possible. Also, pellets do not contain enough fibre to satisfy a rabbit’s digestion, so fresh hay is always preferred.

Despite the common misconception about it’s value, alfalfa isn’t even the best or most nutritious hay for our little bunny friends. If you want to feed your rabbit alfalfa, the bigger alfalfa cubes are actually preferred. We actually find the so called “rabbit pellets” are best used to line a rabbit liter box.

Timothy hay is not as rich as alfalfa, so it is actually a far superior choice as your rabbits primary food source. Timothy hay it’s usually available alongside alfalfa at most decent pet stores, so it shouldn’t be difficult to find. A regular supply of fresh timothy, perhaps refreshed with fresh hay once or twice daily, is the best possible basis for your rabbit’s diet.

Of course all of us like a varied diet, we think that’s even true for plants, and it’s certainly true for the healthy house bunny too. Occasional carrot treats are the “classic” for a generation that grew up watching Bugs Bunny, and there’s no doubt that rabbits love not only carrot roots. As many backyard gardeners can attest, rabbits can make even quicker work of munching down carrot greens. Speaking of backyards, we’ve also found that Dandelion greens are great treat for our bunny friends.

Because bunnies have very sensitive physical constitutions, they can be harmed quite easily by poisons and the like, so please make sure any greens fed to your rabbit have not been sprayed with any chemical herbicides or pesticides. Perhaps the most important thing to remember about your rabbit’s diet, from a gardener’s perspective, is that the better nutrition the bunny gets, the better nutrition it’s manure will provide to your plant.

And of course, as we mentioned before, it’s true that most bunnies will develop a taste for Cannabis stems. For a number of reasons, fibre is an important part of a bunny’s diet. It aids in proper digestion and it’s actually essential to a bunny’s dental health as well. A rabbit’s front teeth continue growing throughout their entire lives, it they are not worn down during the normal process of a bunny’s life, your little furry friend can and will become physically deformed. So, it’s essential that rabbits are given the opportunity to gnaw on woody stems and other sources of fibre, to avoid having their teeth becoming dangerously deformed.

We hope this is a balanced and fair introduction to the joys (and work) of owning a house bunny. Certainly house pets aren’t the focus of our blog, but we felt that a quick look at the responsibilities of owning a bunny were in order, since it seems to be a more and more popular pet choice for folks who are also avid herbalists. For more complete information on owning a house bunny, we’d suggest the House Rabbit Society, it is a great resource for anyone truly interested in investigating all the details behind adopting a bunny friend for their family and garden

RED145

LOL,
Boy did that bring back memories,thanks for another most excellent read!!
Now the memory,about a dozen years or so back me and the old lady thought we would train one of our rabbits to use the litter box.That was easy enuf,about a week or so later I noticed things not working right and discovered the little furball had chewed thru every damn wire we had!!!!That and the little guy sprayed every were,so he went back out.Glad your having better luck than we did!

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Awesome thread dude, I was thinking about a python, but i have rabbit in my head now

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Rabbits do indeed make fine pets, but they also make fine meals, especially fried.

greenhead

Veteran
I used to have a pet rabbit many years ago that looked very similar to this picture that I found, except mine had much longer ears that would sweep the floor almost.
moros5.jpg.w300h345.jpg

Rabbits are indeed a great pet, but I found that they do take an awful lot of maintenance compared to a cat for example. Also, if they're not 100% trained, they will shit those little balls all over your house, and you'll have to clean up/vacuum more than once a day, unless you don't mind living in dirty conditions. I don't regret having the rabbit back then, it was a cool little pet, but I probably won't be having one again. It took too much work in my opinion, and nothing is worse than a pet owner that neglects their pets (truly horrible people), so be prepared to invest time every day if you get a rabbit. I even had to cut my rabbit's teeth every once in a while ! They just keep growing and growing, even though the rabbit had many things to chew on. That's my opinion.

:joint: :wave:

Last edited:
greenhead said:
I used to have a pet rabbit many years ago that looked very similar to this picture that I found, except mine had much longer ears that would sweep the floor almost.
moros5.jpg.w300h345.jpg

Rabbits are indeed a great pet, but I found that they do take an awful lot of maintenance compared to a cat for example. Also, if they're not 100% trained, they will shit those little balls all over your house, and you'll have to clean up/vacuum more than once a day, unless you don't mind living in dirty conditions. I don't regret having the rabbit back then, it was a cool little pet, but I probably won't be having one again. It took too much work in my opinion, and nothing is worse than a pet owner that neglects their pets (truly horrible people), so be prepared to invest time every day if you get a rabbit. I even had to cut my rabbit's teeth every once in a while ! They just keep growing and growing, even though the rabbit had many things to chew on. That's my opinion.

:joint: :wave:

having to cut a rabbit's teeth is not a good experience . . . and we are sorry you had to go thru that greenhead . . . we've had to before . . . but that's not normal for rabbits . . . usually of given enough to gnaw on . . . their teeth are fine . . .

as for the "pooping" problem . . . that's a sign that either your rabbit wasn't fully house trained . . . or else was unhappy with the condition of their litter box . . . we know folks who keep a housetrained rabbit in their kitchen most of the day . . . and certainly that would't be possible if the bunny left little "presents" . . .

it's our experience that rabbits are no more work than a cat . . . and probably less work than a dog . . . but obviously with any pet . . . it really takes a relationship evolving . . .

a good way to keep bunnies for nibbling on wires . . . is to use cheap plastic binders from business reports and the like . . . to wrap around exposed area of the cord . . . this is enough to deter the rabbits from severing any cords . . .

brand

theFLINTSTONERS

great read!

now i've got bunny fever!
are there breeds of bunny that stay fairly small?

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
My bunny's great to have around the house, although I agree that the poop and gnawed electrical cords is a problem. But as long as she serves me chilled drinks...

playboybunny-0004.jpg

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Rosy Cheeks said:
My bunny's great to have around the house, although I agree that the poop and gnawed electrical cords is a problem. But as long as she serves me chilled drinks...

playboybunny-0004.jpg
lmao :muahaha:

brand said:
theFLINTSTONERS

great read!

now i've got bunny fever!
are there breeds of bunny that stay fairly small?

yes there are . . .

look for breeds with "Dwarf" in their name . . . Foghorn has had a couple of Netherland dwarfs before . . .

dwarf rabbits aren't quite as healthy as standard size breeds . . .

here's a bit more info on dwarf rabbit's that we found online . . .

Dwarf Breeds

The smallest breeds, the Dwarfs, vary in size from 1-3/4 to 3-1/2 lbs. They include:

Britannia Petite (White, black, black otter, or chestnut agouti) 1-1/2 - 2-1/2 lbs
Dwarf Hotot (White with black around its eyes) 2 - 3 lbs
Jersey Wooley (Many colors - Angora wool) 2 - 3-1/2 lbs
Netherland Dwarf (Many colors) 1-3/4 - 2-1/2 lbs
Polish (Black, blue, chocolate, blue eyed white, ruby eyed white, and broken) 2 - 3-1/2 lbs
These rabbits, as a group, are less than 3-1/2 pounds mature. These are the rabbits you will want to raise if you want small pets that don't consume much feed (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup per day) and take up the least amount of cage space (about 2-1/2 sq ft). Many times, these are the only rabbits that pet stores will buy. You can expect to fetch about $7.00 from pet stores without having to supply a pedigree. The pet store will turn around and sell them for about $30.00. When you sell to other breeders and provide a pedigree, you can expect from $15.00 to $40.00 or even $100.00 or more for a grand champion. Price depends on the rabbit's show background, quality, and heritage, including the production characteristics of its parents.
The Netherland Dwarf is the breed in greatest demand. The Netherland Dwarf has the most ARBA-recognized colors and patterns of all the breeds. If you're into variety, you can't go wrong with Netherland Dwarfs.

The problems you will run into with any of the dwarf breeds mentioned are the following:

The average litter size is 2 - 4 bunnies, as opposed to the larger breeds which have 6 - 12 bunnies.
The genes responsible for making a dwarf rabbit, in certain combinations is lethal. This combination occurs in 25% of the rabbits. The one having this gene usually dies within 4 days after birth.
Dwarf rabbits are more susceptible to coccidiosis, an intestinal parasite that many times proves lethal to the young rabbits between three and ten weeks of age.
I have found that a significant number of dwarfs have attitude problems. Many of them resort to scratching or biting you when you put your hand into their cage. It could be that they are more afraid than the larger breeds, just as chihuahua dogs have a nervous fight-back tendency.
The above factors don't tend to discourage people from raising dwarfs. They consider these problems as challenges. Dwarf rabbits are in great demand because of their popularity with young people. This, coupled with the lower litter rate, explain why they command a higher price than other rabbits.

Latest posts

Latest posts