What's new

One leaf method

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Good question Risky, there is a debate over this topic. Some people think that removing leaves are good for letting the light inner the canopy. I don't think it's a good idea because removing the leaves also removes the hundreds of stomata that help the plant exchange gases. When you remove leaves in flowering, it cuts off the plant's ability to push water out of the plant stems from lack of leaves and can lead to mold in the big buds.

Risky

Good question Risky, there is a debate over this topic. Some people think that removing leaves are good for letting the light inner the canopy. I don't think it's a good idea because removing the leaves also removes the hundreds of stomata that help the plant exchange gases. When you remove leaves in flowering, it cuts off the plant's ability to push water out of the plant stems from lack of leaves and can lead to mold in the big buds.
Alright I’ve just been leaf tucking to get light to the lower canopy. I heard on a video that that can stress the plant out if done to much. Would you say it would do damage? And if so how much can I tuck before it becomes stressful

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Alright I’ve just been leaf tucking to get light to the lower canopy. I heard on a video that that can stress the plant out if done to much. Would you say it would do damage? And if so how much can I tuck before it becomes stressful
Every leaf you pull off the top of a plant will also limit the plant's growth overall. I never pick leaves off the top. If you have good lighting, the top lighting that hits the top of the plants will feed the lower buds. That is a myth about picking the leaves off the top to let the light in. When the plant doesn't have appropriate lighting the leaves will naturally fall off. NO need to pick off leaves off the top unless you are in a micro grow. Lolly-popping is good for the plant after good veg just before flowering.

IMG_2179.JPG

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I'm not sure if defoliation is good or bad. Like @Creeperpark said the missing stoma can make problems. Imo the evaporation at the stomata is what forces the water up in the plant.

There are growers who radical defoliate at ~3 weeks after flip. With radical i mean they leave more or less a stem with the little leaf at the nodes. 2 weeks later and there is a green jungle again.

I noticed if u start too early in veg the plant gets stunned. In flower i noticed that the buds that are shaded by the big fan leaves will grow bigger if u remove them.

Somewhere here i read that early defoliation of real sativas can force the branches to grow more and you get a more bushy plant.

Risky

Every leaf you pull off the top of a plant will also limit the plant's growth overall. I never pick leaves off the top. If you have good lighting, the top lighting that hits the top of the plants will feed the lower buds. That is a myth about picking the leaves off the top to let the light in. When the plant doesn't have appropriate lighting the leaves will naturally fall off. NO need to pick off leaves off the top unless you are in a micro grow. Lolly-popping is good for the plant after good veg just before flowering.

View attachment 18842698 Thank you I was meaning tucking the leaves does that stress the plant out

I'm not sure if defoliation is good or bad. Like @Creeperpark said the missing stoma can make problems. Imo the evaporation at the stomata is what forces the water up in the plant.

There are growers who radical defoliate at ~3 weeks after flip. With radical i mean they leave more or less a stem with the little leaf at the nodes. 2 weeks later and there is a green jungle again.

I noticed if u start too early in veg the plant gets stunned. In flower i noticed that the buds that are shaded by the big fan leaves will grow bigger if u remove them.

Somewhere here i read that early defoliation of real sativas can force the branches to grow more and you get a more bushy plant.
In that case take 2 plants same species and do it that with them after all u will see 👀 the difference