What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Olfactory Art

Is there value added in strains with pleasing scent qualities, to this end wish to ask more

• All I care about is THC at the expense of terpenes (highest thc dont care how it smells or tastes )

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want a THC strain that smells and tastes great

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • I make dry sift so I want just pure THC no other stuff

• I smoke flowers terpenes make it taste/smell so much better

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I make guarda or charas so sticky/oily or waxy is better

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • wanna see another choice added? Request it in a post or DM me

• Total voters

acespicoli

1726065816053.png

Welcome, Hope you all take a min to read vote and talk about terpenes :huggg:

We all come together for love of cannabis for different reasons, share your ideas for enjoying cannabis
Like a cup of coffee or tea.. more to it than caffeine ?
A fine beverage suds, wine, cognac, tequila, whiskey what have you there is more to it than ethanol ?
Even in tobacco of old days there were pure no additive types, Havana, Turkish, Indian,
Added this link of fragrances and flavorings etc that companies found appealing when smoked
we all have preferences?

Olfactory art is an art form that uses scents as a medium. Olfactory art includes perfume as well as other applications of scent.

The art form has been a recognized genre since at least 1980.[1] Marcel Duchamp was one of the first artists who pioneered with using scents in art.[2]

Examples of olfactory art​

In 1938, the poet Benjamin Péret roasted coffee behind screens at the Exposition Internationale du Surréalisme which was orchestrated by Marcel Duchamp, and was possibly one of the first true examples of olfactory art. (from the book "Salon to Biennial - Exhibitions that Made Art History", Volume 1: 1863-1959 Hardcover – July 2, 2008 by Bruce Altshuler)[citation needed]

A series of chess sets where the pieces could be distinguished only by scent were made by Takako Saito in 1965.[2] Spice Chess and Smell Chess relied on the use of spices or scented liquids in the pieces.[2] In Spice Chess, the black king was scented with asafetida, the black queen with cayenne, and the black bishops with cumin.[2] The white pieces included cinnamon pawns, nutmeg rooks, ginger knights and an anise white queen.[2]

In the art of

perfumery​

noun

per·fum·ery pər-ˈfyü-mə-rē
pə-,

-ˈfyüm-rē

plural
perfumeries
a
: the art or process of making perfume
b
: the products made by a perfumer

: an establishment where perfumes are made

Will add more information about terpenes and other cannabis flavors in future posts
Best >>>

Last edited:

acespicoli

1726068722796.png

Nothing like savoring a flavorful sample of cannabis,
Inhaled and slowly exhaled thru the nose ? 😄

Smell / Aroma​

Here you can find the varieties of cannabis which were tagged by our users with certain characteristics in terms of Smell / Aroma. Altogether there are currently 806 varieties of cannabis in this cloud.

Sweet; Floral; Nectar; Rose; Jasmine; Vanilla; Cherry Blossom; Apricot Tree; Orange Blossom; Lilac; Violet; Fruity; Berry; Raspberry; Strawberry; Blackberry; Blueberry; Cranberry; Tropical; Passion Fruit; Pineapple; Cantaloupe; Mango; Kiwi; Banana; Coconut; Grape; Apricot; Cherry; Plum; Peach; Apple; Pear; Sugar; Honey; Bubble Gum; Cookie Dough; Peanutbutter; Butterscotch; Chocolate; Marshmallow; Whipped Cream; Licorice; Sour; Citrus; Lemon; Sweet Lemon; Lime; Lemon Grass; Grapefruit; Orange; Blood Orange; Tangerine; Dairy; Butter; Cheese; Hot Milk; Sour Cream; Acidic; Spicy; Hot; Mustard; Teriyaki; Curry; Chili; Tabasco; Soy Sauce; BBQ Sauce; Mint; Spearmint; Herbs; Ginger; Pepper; Cinnamon; Sage; Basilicum; Thyme; Dill; Saffron; Cloves; Parsley; Fennel; Sandalwood; Cedarwood; Pine; Maple; Hashish; Bitter; Nuts; Fresh Nuts; Macadamia; Walnut; Hazelnut; Tonsil; Rosted Nuts; Pistachio; Peanut; Chestnut; Chemical; Coughsyrup; Medicine; Metal; Poison; Glue; Diesel; Tar; Organic; Cucumber; Chives; Tee; Cocoa; Coffee; Tobacco; Onion; Garlic; Vinegar; Salty; Microbiological; Rot; Earth; Musky; Mold; Sweat; Charcoal; Wood; Alcohol; Chalk; Soda; Leather
1726068856484.png

• Odor, airborne molecules perceived as a scent or aroma
1726068880729.png

The ideas and thoughts of all the subtle scents detected ?
How all the various terpenes play together to create a memorable signature strain... :love:

Attachments

• 1726067467692.png
    1726067467692.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
If it doesn't taste good it could have the best buzz in the world, I wouldn't like it. Smoking weed for me is at least 50% (if not more) about the flavour, then comes the buzz! Not into CBD weed but sometimes I like "lighter" strains more if they just taste right than any heavy hitters with just meh flavour ;)

acespicoli

If it doesn't taste good it could have the best buzz in the world, I wouldn't like it. Smoking weed for me is at least 50% (if not more) about the flavour, then comes the buzz! Not into CBD weed but sometimes I like "lighter" strains more if they just taste right than any heavy hitters with just meh flavour ;)
:love: :yeahthats some strains id smoke for the taste alone... well lighter yes, love that post
thanks for sharing :huggg:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
I want good hitting weed. Max thc is not what i look for when i smoke. I enjoy a good level of thc but the smoke i like most has a good entourage effect, it's more than the sum of it's part and the high is more intense like the thc suggests.

I dev rank effect over smell/taste but a really good weed has both. But i think there can be too much terps that can negative effect some form of consumption. With certain vapes and those high terps candyshop strains the first pull can be way too much terps that taste like a gulp out of a parfume bottle.

acespicoli

I want good hitting weed. Max thc is not what i look for when i smoke. I enjoy a good level of thc but the smoke i like most has a good entourage effect, it's more than the sum of it's part and the high is more intense like the thc suggests.

I dev rank effect over smell/taste but a really good weed has both. But i think there can be too much terps that can negative effect some form of consumption. With certain vapes and those high terps candyshop strains the first pull can be way too much terps that taste like a gulp out of a parfume bottle.
Had that too like a real floral perfume flavor,
Think there are certain terpene profiles that are agreeable to me and others may seem a little repulsive
When your smoking you remember the effect long after you forget the smell or taste maybe :thinking:
Some of this do you really ponder and think on till you discuss it ?
Thinking back on all the strains we have smoked over the years... which ones really stayed in your mind?
How many could you smell today from years gone by and stop you and say " I smelled that one before" ?
Or it was so unique as to rarely be duplicated, may be closer to the point

Need to make a short list of my favorite terpenes mine are closer to pipe tobacco than floral 🤷‍♂️
If you goto the list in post #2 im clearly on the sour side although I have appreciated some sweet ones

Breaking it down to sweet and sour :thinking:

Sour; Citrus; Lemon; Sweet Lemon; Lime; Lemon Grass; Grapefruit; Orange; Blood Orange; Tangerine; Dairy; Butter; Cheese; Hot Milk; Sour Cream; Acidic; Spicy; Hot; Mustard; Teriyaki; Curry; Chili; Tabasco; Soy Sauce; BBQ Sauce; Mint; Spearmint; Herbs; Ginger; Pepper; Cinnamon; Sage; Basilicum; Thyme; Dill; Saffron; Cloves; Parsley; Fennel; Sandalwood; Cedarwood; Pine; Maple; Hashish; Bitter; Nuts; Fresh Nuts; Macadamia; Walnut; Hazelnut; Tonsil; Rosted Nuts; Pistachio; Peanut; Chestnut; Chemical; Coughsyrup; Medicine; Metal; Poison; Glue; Diesel; Tar; Organic; Cucumber; Chives; Tee; Cocoa; Coffee; Tobacco; Onion; Garlic; Vinegar; Salty; Microbiological; Rot; Earth; Musky; Mold; Sweat; Charcoal; Wood; Alcohol; Chalk; Soda; Leather

vs

Sweet; Floral; Nectar; Rose; Jasmine; Vanilla; Cherry Blossom; Apricot Tree; Orange Blossom; Lilac; Violet; Fruity; Berry; Raspberry; Strawberry; Blackberry; Blueberry; Cranberry; Tropical;
Passion Fruit; Pineapple; Cantaloupe; Mango; Kiwi; Banana; Coconut; Grape; Apricot; Cherry; Plum; Peach; Apple; Pear; Sugar; Honey; Bubble Gum; Cookie Dough; Peanutbutter; Butterscotch; Chocolate; Marshmallow; Whipped Cream; Licorice;

Leather being at the end of a spectrum thats seldom encountered, which to me makes it unique

screenshot-en_seedfinder_eu-2024_09_11-13_09_06.png

Looks like its broken down further from seedfinder
Sweet
Fruity
Sour
Spicy
Bitter
Microbiological

reminds me of the hops wheel flavors for brewing beer

Attachments

• b372b28199de03f258a4c7fc2e9e7196f59c5439.png
    b372b28199de03f258a4c7fc2e9e7196f59c5439.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

acespicoli

Last edited:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
I haven't smoked much of that new strains, only at the cup, but imo they all smell and taste related. I prefer more when a strain has a distinct flavour that is something new. I'm sure i can identify something like big bud, trainwreck, core cut,..

The olfactory system is deeply linked to memory and emotions. I had a few smells that were very repulsive to me. In my grannys yard was some wild hops growing that gave me a strong repulsive emotion. The second time was some spice mix for sausage making, the final product was fine but the pure mix gave me the same strong feeling of not wanting to smell that.
Not sure to what terps or other compounds that is linked.

Nannymouse

One of the first strains that i ever had was a widow x nl#5. I need to go back and see if it still hits my nose the same. I determined that it should be called 'tack room'. Leather, Lexol leather conditioner, saddle soap, and horse sweat. Yum! It had its sweet moments, too. This is the strain that made me fall deeply in love with Cannabis. More in love, ha.

acespicoli

One of the first strains that i ever had was a widow x nl#5. I need to go back and see if it still hits my nose the same. I determined that it should be called 'tack room'. Leather, Lexol leather conditioner, saddle soap, and horse sweat. Yum! It had its sweet moments, too. This is the strain that made me fall deeply in love with Cannabis. More in love, ha.
Thats good stuff spent alot of time working with horses as well, they certainly have a distinct smell, sweaty saddle blankets and stuff kinda like a musky smell. There was a weed description someone had writtten the other day and it was kinda funny he said the strain reminded him of goats... well then he said a goat stall
I have this billy goat and when hes rutting he will spray urine on himself on his front legs and just anywhere a golden shower will land with a kiddish control of his overly elephant trunk of a shlong :ROFLMAO:

Stinky little terd when hes full on rutting 🐐
So YEAH when people give a descriptor like that its some musky spicy men type cologne smell going on
For the peeps not familiar with livestock its kinda like old spice maybe or tobacco
I think most people are familiar the the musk odor ?
NONE of that sweet stuff :smoker:

Dark liquor is one descriptor I hear also, makes me wonder, like spiced rum?
good share thanks for posting that :huggg:

Latest posts

Latest posts