What's new

OK Before we start.

G

Before we get started Let me Introduce myself.

I am Dankdude, I have been growing cannabis since I was 15 years old and am now 43, you do the math :D

My brewing experience dates back to 1989. Yup 17 years making my own beer and wine.

It is my aim to try and teach people on this website the are of Homemade beer and wine making.
Some (but not all) of the recipes I will be posting in this forum will involve the use of cannabis as an additive.

Now that we have that out of the way, Lets discuss the two ways that THC is soluble.

1. We all know from the cooking forum that THC is "Fat Soluble" meaning that with the addition heat and fats (such as butter) THC melts and is held in suspension, thus, helping us ingest internally.

2. We also know that we can use alcohol to make THC soluble.
Here is where I come in.
In order to make a drink that is going to contain THC, you usually have to make the drink relatively high in Alcohol, generally over 7% alcohol by volume.

Styles of beer that I usually make that include THC are Barleywine, Russian Imperial Stout, Erbock.

These are great stand alone beers in their own right.

I will be writing a thread on the basics of brewing and wine making which will cover fermentation, the uses of different hops, fruits (for both wine and beer) and of course different methods of including our Beloved and Sacred plant into out beverages.

Flowerman

Hey Dank, congrads on the new forum bro. Damn just got done trying some St. Peters Ale (the ones in the medicine looking bottles), and thought I would check out the forum. Will definitely have to get over here some more. But just wanted to wish you the best bro, and for all, this man knows his brew! As well as cannabis.

G

Thanks for the visit Flowerman, It's always nice to hear from a old friend...

Feel free to cine in any time ;)

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
....welcome to the International Cannagraphic Forums Dankdude......your good reputation preceeds you.......

....I have to hook you up with 'Bruce the Bastard Brewer!'......a Scottish friend here in Amsterdam who also enjoys the art of brewing.....

Congrats Dankdude !
This is a really neat forum idea, i've only brewed my own twice and wasn't crazy about how it turned out, maybe with your knowledge and input i'll give it another go.

i'll be stopping back in and reading all your articles to brush up on things before i try again and hope this forum catches on in a big way.

Have a great day.

Peace

O H

G

Thank you Organic Hydro, that is pretty much my aim here.

I think it is another leap forward if the cannabis community can also discuss other hobbies. As we become more mainstream (if you looked at the latest zogby poll numbers 75% of Americans are in favor of full legalization) I think it is good that we show more self reliance in other aspects of life.
I want what life has to offer, I personally would call myself a pot snob, beer snob and a wine snob (though to a lesser extent with the wine)

Currently what I have in my bottles are a Belgian triple Ale (partial mash) that weighs in at 8.75% alcohol by volume and a Blackberry Honey Hefewiesen (all grain) that weighs in at 6.2% Alcohol by volume.

It is also my aim to help others with my experience to brew great world class beers. Hey we don't want the neighbors to see Budwieser cans strun across our lawns. :pointlaug
We look better if we have a pint of a good stout that has a nice creamy head that last all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Like weed, a social session of a couple of pints makes for good conversation.
But I am in no way saying that you should overindulge. (he he he I'm rambling, blame it on the sativa I smoked this morning. :D)

I will say that not everybody can drink. (some people have a real problem in that area.) I will say that people who can show temperance and moderation can do a hobby such as brewing, just the economics of it is a plus. On average I spend about 50 cents per bottle for beverages that would otherwise cost me around $2.50 - $3.50 to buy in a store. (some of which that may be hard/impossible to find.)

If you are so inclined to start back up into homebrewing OH, I will sure to try help you along, and you'll be brewing world class beers in no time. ;)

G

Thank you Dr.D I think that this would be a great forum for those who want to learn how to become more self reliant.

Besides, Fermentation has a by-product we all like to use, co2 gas, as long as we don't put the beer in the growroom the beer or wine will be drinkable.
I have used the gas by drilling a hole in the wall of the growroom and stick through a vinyl hose into a bucket of water, the gas can be used...

Although fermentation does not produce a whole lot of gas, I waste nothing:D

Thanx Dd,
Since you have a recipe for a Hefewiesen i might just have to give the home brewing a try again, Hefewiesen is my favorite brew of all.

Cheers mate.

O H

G

Outstanding Dank,
Lead on Brewmister Deluxe!!Welcome,I for one would love to see a brew thread,got a couple extract brews under my belt,but the fermenter's been dusty too long,still lookin for a good duvel clone.Lately I been drinkin the hennepin from brewery oomegang since its rite up the road!!

G

OK OH, here you go... This is the recipe I Just got through bottling.

I writing this recipe whilst drinking a liter of Pilsner Urquell. ;)

Now this is an American representation of a Hefe....But good never the less.
What makes this an American representation of a Hefewiesen is that I used Oregon Cascade hops instead of German Noble hops such as Hallertauer or Tettnanger.

3 1/4 lbs 2 row malted Barley
3 3/4 lbs malted wheat (white wheat is best)
1/4 lb 20 lovibond crystal malt
1/2 lb Honey Malt
1 lb Honey
4 lbs frozen blackberries (optional)
3/4 ounce Cascade Hops or any hop of your choice (60 minutes boiling for bittering)
1/4 ounce Cascade hops or any hop of your choice (5 minutes boiling for aroma)
1 vial White labs Hefewizen ale yeast

Heat 3 gallons of water to 168 degrees F and mash grains for one hour... The temperature of your mash should come out around 150 - 154 degrees F.
in the mean time you want to heat 5 gallons of water to 175 degrees F and reserve until your mash is complete. Once mash is complete pour the 5 gallons of 175 degree water into the mash and stir. Once you have done this, use a quart jug to recirculate the runnings until it is clear, this can take anywhere from 15 - 45 minutes.
Now run the wort into your boiling pot.... you should come out with a little over 6 gallons of liquid. Boil for one hour.

Once a rolling boil has started add your boiling hops and honey and continue to boil for 55 minutes and then add your aroma hops and continue to boil for 5 minutes.
you should have slightly over 5 gallons of wort.
Cool this as fast as possible (an Ice bath usually works good for this.)

Once the wort gets to 80 degrees or less add your yeast and cover your bucket and put on your airlock or blowoff hose.

Fermentation should be complete in 7 - 10 days....

Once the fermentation is complete, you have the option of using the blackberries, to do this you have to have a secondary fermentation vessel. (glass Carboy)
if you decide to use the blackberries run them through a food processor and add them to the secondary and sihpon your beer onto the juice. and place airlock carboy and let set for 2 weeks.

Now to bottle, take 3/4 cup of corn sugar and boil with 1 cup of water. Add the sugar liquid to your bucket and siphon the beer in to the bucket.
Siphon your beer into your bottles and cap.
Let the beer set for 2 -3 weeks and then chill and drink....

Traditionally before you drink a hefe, you roll the bottle on the table top to dislodge the yeast into the beer... Serve at 50 - 55 degrees....

G

Red, I'll try and find you a clone recipe for duvel ... give me time, you want it extract or all-grain.

My recipe for that comes out closer to St. Sabastaan crock ale (belgian triple)

Thanx Dd, thats most excellent !, when i lived in redondo beach CA a place opened up called the "black bird brewery", the owner was a brewmister and did all their beer in house and used a recipe close to this, on a side note, i also find it funny that in Holland they call Hefewiesen "white beer" i'm guessing it's because of the white wheat malt that's used.

Geee, i cant wait to get started now, i'm going to make a list and get my supplies so i can start this weekend.

Thanx Bro !

G

Yeah but with a "Wit Beir" you also add bitter orange peel and corriander seed to the mash.... but basically the same recipe.

Ahhh, as you can see i dont know all that much about brewing. i really like pauliner and Hacker schor and franziskener brand weise beirs. those are the ones i can get locally . i can see you really know your stuff man :wink:

i'm kind of like a sponge when it comes to info though, and the more i learn the better i like it, cause as you know, a day without learning something new is a wasted day :D

thanx for all you hard work getting this forum up and running bro :smile:

Peace

G

OH if you want to see if your mash is complete, get a bottle of Iodine.
Take out a table spoon of the wort out of your mash and put it on a white plate.
Take one drop of iodine into the wort on the plate. (make sure that there is no grain husk in the wort)
If the iodine turns black or purple, your mash is incomplete and will need more time...
Once you can do the iodine and there is no change in color. Your done mashing.

Iodine changes color in the presence of starch but remains unchanged in the presence of sugar.

Latest posts

Latest posts