What's new

Nutrient for stronger stems?

mountainoutlaw

Yeah...and. I think many go way to hard on N personally, I'm a 3-5-5 man all way through, I also firmly believe too high N delays some varieties.

The silica I only do for maybe a few feeds during first three weeks. I've recently added higher K and been quite pleased.

mudballs

Yeah...and. I think many go way to hard on N personally, I'm a 3-5-5 man all way through, I also firmly believe too high N delays some varieties.

The silica I only do for maybe a few feeds during first three weeks. I've recently added higher K and been quite pleased.
You copy/pasted before i could edit my K/P typo...this stuff is confusing cut me some slack yall lol. But yeah, nice to hear community feedback outside the Si circle (handshake)

chronosync

automatic shoes
It does sound like it could be Wallastonite, based on the description and sds. I couldn’t find a copy of the back label anywhere which can sometimes provide some clues (derived from etc)

I’m looking into using calcium silicate as a silica source for dtw coco. From what ive read it has good immediate availability of silica but shouldn’t be relied on as a calcium source.

chronosync

automatic shoes
Sorry I don't understand what you mean, precipitation?

"Silicates are by definition very insoluble and the acidic pH in hydroponics is bound to cause some precipitation of different reaction products of this ion with other ionic species present within the hydroponics solution. The silicate ions can also form silicic acid and start to polymerize into complex macromolecular constructs. As a matter of fact, several studies do include information about the problems with drip systems, sprinklers, nozzles, etc, when using silicate ions since they tend to precipitate easily outside the hydroponic solution"

source: https://scienceinhydroponics.com/20...on-is-good-for-and-how-it-should-be-used.html

and this link is pretty good too, same guy

Last edited:

mm4n

So potassium silicate is better than regular silica? That would mean Growth Technology Liquid Silicon is the one to go for from hydro store options.
might check if they have some powder
I used Mineral Magic (GHE) for several years, which is mainly composed of powdered SiO2. Then, a fellow grower convinced me to switch to Liquid Silicon (GT), which is instead composed of liquid K2SiO3.

His arguments were mainly two: Firstly, the fact that inhaling silicon powder can cause pulmonary silicosis, and secondly (although I never delved into it), the idea that the silicon microcrystals in the powder could kill fungi and other beneficial microorganisms in the soil.

I’m not sure if it’s true or a myth :) but to be safe, I switched to liquid potassium silicate.

goingrey

"Silicates are by definition very insoluble and the acidic pH in hydroponics is bound to cause some precipitation of different reaction products of this ion with other ionic species present within the hydroponics solution. The silicate ions can also form silicic acid and start to polymerize into complex macromolecular constructs. As a matter of fact, several studies do include information about the problems with drip systems, sprinklers, nozzles, etc, when using silicate ions since they tend to precipitate easily outside the hydroponic solution"

source: https://scienceinhydroponics.com/20...on-is-good-for-and-how-it-should-be-used.html

and this link is pretty good too, same guy

Thanks! What I great resource.

I thought the word meant rain. :D

goingrey

I used Mineral Magic (GHE) for several years, which is mainly composed of powdered SiO2. Then, a fellow grower convinced me to switch to Liquid Silicon (GT), which is instead composed of liquid K2SiO3.

His arguments were mainly two: Firstly, the fact that inhaling silicon powder can cause pulmonary silicosis, and secondly (although I never delved into it), the idea that the silicon microcrystals in the powder could kill fungi and other beneficial microorganisms in the soil.

I’m not sure if it’s true or a myth :) but to be safe, I switched to liquid potassium silicate.
Ah ok I see that is the same as Terra Aquatica Silicate then, old name.

Pulmonary silicosis is a worry but could be prevented with wearing a mask and I wonder how much you would inhale anyway when we are dealing with amounts measured with tea spoons. More of an issue for mining/manufacturing/construction workers I would imagine.

Good point with the effect on microbial activity. For soil growers a problem but for hydro growers maybe a benefit.

The big question though... Did you notice any difference after the change?

chronosync

automatic shoes
while reading about wallstonite I found out that it works much like diatomaceous earth to kill insects but that it does not lose efficacy while wet. So adding to soil would be detrimental to beneficial insects or worms but idk if it affects things like bacteria or fungi

Latest posts

Latest posts