What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Organic Grow by BReal (50x50x140)

BReal

Veteran
Hello everyone! :tiphat:

It's my 1st english thread on this forum but english is not my primary language, so forgive me my lack of understanding or linguistic skills ocasionally :biglaugh: Anyway... I'm not new to this forum. Had been sneaking around since 2008. However, I don't have much experience with indoor grows. I've been cultivating cannabis outdoor/guerilla especially and I had a few longer breaks from growing on top of it.

Right now I'm finishing my 2nd indoor grow with genetics from Fast Buds and I'm going to continue testing their strains for a while :biggrin: I have a small box: 50x50x120 cm. However I'm going to upgrade it to slightly taller version very soon. My light are 2 custom made CXB3590 3000K cobs - both running at 1400 mA so total power usage is about 102 Watts. I ordered leds separately becasue I had a very specific desire to use 90 CRI cobs instead of 80 CRI. The reason for that is that you are getting a significant red spectrum boost compared to 80 CRI - about 40% more of 660 nm which is not a small gap.

20240620_213112.jpg

View media item 18718994
View media item 18718995
Unfortunatelly temperatures this summer were high, and I don't have AC so it's hot inside the box: 25-34 C. Because of that flowers developed foxtail structure and a lot of leafs are dried out. On top of that I commited some mistakes, that caused calcium deficiency of one of my plants. Inspite that, they managed to regenerate a little bit during last few weeks of flowering, so the harvest is going to be decent actually. However I'm not expecting to have a rich terpene profile because of high temps :toohot:

Currently in the box:
Left side: Gorilla Cookies Auto by Fast Buds
Right side: Girl Scout Cookies Auto by Fast Buds

View media item 18721428
View media item 18721427
Meanwhile I'm preparing my own vermi-compost for the next grow. I'm planning on using my own organic soil mix based on perlite, peat moss and this vermi-compost.

View media item 18721456
View media item 18721457
A new delivery arrived today :biggrin:

Lemon Cherry Cookies Auto
Purple Punch Auto
Gorilla Cookies Auto

View media item 18721454

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks for sharing your garden with us friend. One good thing is cooler temperatures are on the way. Since you learned a lot, the next one should be even better. Keep us posted.

BReal

Veteran
Do you know what caused your leaves to bronze?
Kinda... mix for both pots was almost identical. However in the left pot, soil was lower quality and had higher pH. Overall pH in the left pot was just too high: between 7 and 8. For comparison pH of runout water of the right pot was about 6-6,5 so perfect. I figured it out a bit too late because I started measuring pH in the middle of flowering. PH was the main problem but not the only one. I used a bit too much of fertilizers and combined with very high heat during the hottest summer days it probably increased further concentration of salts near roots. There could be a bit too much dolomite in the mix as well. That, high pH and high salt concentration caused nutrients lockdown, making it hard for the plant to absorb calcium. That's what I suspect. A few weeks ago I flushed the soil with a few liters of filtered water with pH 6. It didn't completly resolved the problem, but symptoms of calcium deficiency slowed down significantly, and the plant was able to regenerate to some degree 😅

BReal

Veteran
Unfortunatelly it definitelly gonna effect the harvest. Buds didn't gain that much weight as they should. Girl Scout Cookies's buds are a bit heavier in comparison.

For the next grow I'm planning to plant Lemon Cherry Cookies Auto 🤤

Last edited:

PadawanWarrior

Kinda... mix for both pots was almost identical. However in the left pot, soil was lower quality and had higher pH. Overall pH in the left pot was just too high: between 7 and 8. For comparison pH of runout water of the right pot was about 6-6,5 so perfect. I figured it out a bit too late because I started measuring pH in the middle of flowering. PH was the main problem but not the only one. I used a bit too much of fertilizers and combined with very high heat during the hottest summer days it probably increased further concentration of salts near roots. There could be a bit too much dolomite in the mix as well. That, high pH and high salt concentration caused nutrients lockdown, making it hard for the plant to absorb calcium. That's what I suspect. A few weeks ago I flushed the soil with a few liters of filtered water with pH 6. It didn't completly resolved the problem, but symptoms of calcium deficiency slowed down significantly, and the plant was able to regenerate to some degree 😅
You need to drastically reduce the amount you're feeding them. It looks like soil. What have you been feeding them? I see what looks like top dressing in the early pic.

BReal

Veteran
You need to drastically reduce the amount you're feeding them. It looks like soil. What have you been feeding them? I see what looks like top dressing in the early pic.
I already reduced feeding portions a few weeks ago. In fact they weren't fed at all in the last 10 days. This is already the finish of the flushing period. I'm just serving filtered water with pH about 6,2. I was feeding them with Biobizz nuts. Additionaly soil was mixed with chicken manure, perlite, dolomite.

Last edited:

PadawanWarrior

I already reduced feeding portions a few weeks ago. In fact they weren't fed at all in the last 10 days. This is already the finish of the flushing period. I'm just serving filtered water with pH about 6,2. I was feeding the with Biobizz nuts. Additionaly soil was mixed with chicken manure, perlite, dolomite.
They look overfed. Causing lockout and toxicity. Organics take awhile to breakdown and become available. Stuff added 2 weeks ago is still breaking down.

I noticed you talked about pH. How are you testing soil pH? Hopefully it's not with one of these.

9k=.jpg

BReal

Veteran
I test pH with a chemical test kit by Terra Aquatica, so my readings are not very precise but are good enough and I'm too broke atm to buy a proper pH tester 😅

Last edited:

BReal

Veteran
Yes it's true that it takes time for organic nuts to break down but I can tell you one thing: from all Biobizz nuts: Biobizz Biogrow was the least tolerated by these plants during the 2nd half of flowering. In the end recommended dose (1ml per 1L) was still a little bit too big for them.

BReal

Veteran
It's true that organic nuts take time to break down but it also depends which one I think. Dolomite is gonna take months to break. The same goes with Silicone. Chicken/cattle manure will take a long time as well. However nuts in a liquid form (teas especially) may take just a few days (maybe a week?) to be absorbed sometimes. When I was giving too big doses of Biogrow I could see effects of nutrient burn a few days later already 🤔

BReal

Veteran
But just as I said previously: temperature inside my tent was a key factor as well because it was speeding up respiration by a lot. It was 36°C inside my tent for a couple of days in the middle of the grow. Most problems appeared back then. During this period I was very surprised when I realized that watering 1 time per day still wasn't enough. Plants were sucking up 2 liters of water in less than 24h (1L per plant) 😟

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Too many salts in the hot temperatures will almost always come back and bite one's ass. Hey, I learned a lot when that happened to me, and it only had to happen once before I learned my lesson. Now I monitor my EC, watch it closely, and don't let it rise or drop. If you get a TDS meter you can watch the EC enough to keep the substrate stable without any swings. A TDS meter is the best investment any grower can make to grow fine clean weed.

I know the next one you will kick ass in cooler temps. Thanks for sharing your experience with us friend it has been very helpful and interesting. Keep us posted.

BReal

Veteran
A TDS meter is the best investment any grower can make to grow fine clean weed.

Thanks for the tip 🤗 I'm going to consider investment in TDS meter in the future for sure 👌

A few weeks ago I could smell citruses, a week ago typical mj skunky smell, today... the tent smells like sweet flavoured cheese 🤤 Anyway... buds are not ready yet. Harvest gonna be delayed a bit but I don't know how much 🫠

View media item 18721683

Last edited:

BReal

Veteran
For photos I'm using mostly Canon EOS 700D. It's not the best slr camera out there but it definitelly does better job than a smartphone :cool:

I brought a new tent home but I'm going to fold it after I finish the current grow.

View media item 18721773
Meanwhile the harvest is closer and closer. After analizing photos you can see amber trichomes on both ladies. However there is a little bit more amber on Girl Scout Cookies Auto - makes sense because Fast Buds claims that Gorilla Cookies Auto might be flowering up to 1 week longer than the GSCA. However I'm not going to cut them down separately, because I want to dry them in the same time - using the same tent for this process. That's why for the next grow I'm planning to plant only one lady - it will make harvesting much easier in my case.

View media item 18721772
View media item 18721763
View media item 18721770
View media item 18721768
View media item 18721767
View media item 18721758
Amber % is still a bit too low for my taste. However I'm not aiming at 30%+ of amber so I'm going to harvest ladies in the end of this week most likely. Here you have some tasty macros :jerkit:

View media item 18721761
View media item 18721760
View media item 18721759

Last edited: