What's new

New study about polyploid

BuddhaSeeds

We continue to provide more information explaining the differences we see in our polyploid plants. This time we will focus on in vitro culture and its roots.

In vitro culture is a system in which plants are introduced into flasks and are fed on a culture medium that provides them with all the nutrients needed. For this it is necessary that the flasks, the nutrient solution and the vegetal material are under sterile conditions in order to ensure that what is inside is just what we want. This method is the best to preserve genetics since it avoids pests and other risk factors, reduces the maintenance effort and the space occupied.

If it is a good method of maintenance it will be also for research, since under sterile conditions and with the same nutritional contributions, any differences observed in the plants will be due to differences between them, not existing external factors that may interfere.

While working with in vitro culture system we have realized the differences between varieties. Each variety requires a different nutrient medium, a different hormone concentration, different hormones and even different times when it comes to plant rooting. By retaining polyploid varieties in these conditions we have found out that they support them better, they are able to survive in all nutrient media and their response to different plant hormones is faster and more efficient.

Regarding plants grown in soil, we have not appreciated substantial differences in formation and establishment of roots system. However, when subjecting them to in vitro culture we can see that they root in 10 days on average (diploid plants take 15-25 days depending on the variety). Also, their roots are thicker and the growth of the cutting accelerates as a direct result of this phenomenon.

Here are few pictures so that you can see what we mean:

xzccodd.jpg

sdsZTcd.jpg

Description: Differences in the root system of polyploidy plants compared to the diploids of the same variety.

udB6jIE.jpg

Description: Detail of polyploidy plants. Sometimes roots are thicker than the stem.

Last edited:

dabking

hempernest do you see any benefit at all in these mutant plants ? or is this more or less ultimately just entertainment ?

these aren't mutant. Its a clone growing from a tissue sample. If I'm not mistaken its showing the difference in tolerance of being able to go through such a method. Its great for preserving genetics.

hempernest do you see any benefit at all in these mutant plants ? or is this more or less ultimately just entertainment ?

Well, there are for sure some interesting traits, you will see in future pictures, and also we have to remember those are the first polyploid plants, no selection yet, just doubling.

i am not an expert, but some traits can be reinforced having 4 copies of the chromosomes in the code. also hybrid vigor is suposed to improve.

with the initial plants we only doubled the chromosomes making a repetition of the ones wich were already in the plant, what in the future we could breed them and start mixing, and try to potentiate those differences.

Very interesting thread are you working on any other experiments we could follow ? I would like to see a bit on micro propogation with pic's as well.

BuddhaSeeds

Hello to everyone. There are some users that ask us about in vitro cultivation. This subject of study is different from the post open, principally, but we can speak and show you something. There are several projects that we are developing in vitro cultivation, many studies we can´t put them because they are under development but we can expand a little the information related to micropropagation. This is the form how we have to work with mothers or genetic elite that we have currently.

Having a seed bank means that it should have a great selection of varieties and genetics to realize a constant production of seeds. In addition, new individuals of interest are being incorporated to create new and interesting varieties. This means that it requires us to have a specific site in phase of growth for all of these plants. Maintenance, care, transplants and a long etc.; all without mentioning the constant exposure to pests or failures that may lead to the loss of some important genetics.

The best way to save costs, reduce maintenance and to avoid the presence of pests is by micropropagation cultivation in vitro. This requires establishing culture media with proper rooting hormone and the right dose for each variety and once it ready this research you can begin to introduce plants.

The form is relatively simple if you have the appropriate means. After sterilizing the vegetables parts we proceed to its introduction. For this, there is to work in sterile conditions and the best way to achieve this is through a flow camera laminar.
We preserver between 7-10 boats for each variety; this form, when a particular gene is necessary we can take 4-5 boats and acclimate to return to being on substratum. The rest remain as they are bigger return to the flow chamber where they are output will be cut in several parts and reintroduced into pots with fresh medium.

It's similar to do normal cuttings but with a special culture medium and sterile conditions so they can´t affect the external conditions. It´s undoubtedly the best preservation method for minimum maintenance required, the little light that is needed and the little space that occupies.

You can to see some photos how we work this method in Buddha Seeds.

LjY53u2.jpg

opwaJhD.jpg

PxYei0s.jpg

Other things you can to do with the cultivation in vitro. As to induce roots in the leaves.

iAGK1JF.jpg

FvOYIbD.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice info and pic's I have gained great respect for Buddha seeds ! most seed banks in comparison are clumsy and focused strickly on getting seeds out the door having farmed out the production not knowing whether the seeds are even disease free.

It would be nice to have a Q & A thread with Buddha It's rare to come accross anybody as knowlledgable as the Buddha people, there are lots of things we could learn right from germing seed up to harvest.

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
Nice tissue culture u did!

I getting into that right know too :) def not a easy way but nice to see that its possible to take from one leave upto 50 clones with this culture, thats awesome!

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Buddha Seeds,I have a question , how do you keep the in vitro plants from rotting or molding? All the pictures I have seen of in vitro plants, they look saturated with water. Is it a chemical, or just absolute cleanliness?

Stuff like this makes me realize how little I really know. Awesome project and thanks for sharing with the community!

I think Buddha mentioned the plant tissue was sterilized before it was used for in vitro but how do you sterilize live plant tissue ? Also I have an aquaintance that has made polyploids before he is currently working with some tetraploids I believe, his thoughts on the Buddha project are you need to induce the polyploidism right at the seed level. Unless I'm mistaken you mentioned the polyploid can revert back to a diploid perhaps that wouldn't be the case if the seed it's self was polyploid ?

BuddhaSeeds

Then we leave a series of photographs that we have made to our plants that have been analyzed both in growing indoors or outdoors. We can see that there are two differents groups: triploid (3n) and tetraploid (4n). In the two groups we observed that they developed with vigour its leaves, being very encouraging results. Occasion of using polyhybrids we cannot extrapolate all the features, the results were encouraging.

Triploid

XnyBzfL.jpg

PIO5WE7.jpg

uQvoCFd.jpg

Last edited:
Those triploids are NLx(Somango x X18) as we had in hand some NL pollen.

was strange the big difference between them, maybe due to being a triploid poly hybrid.

The tetraploids are somango x X18 the individual in the right in the third tetraploid picture is the original one, seems the treatment made it stretch quite a lot. the one in the left is an s1, tetraploid from seed.

Latest posts

Latest posts