What's new

My dogs. Which ones are yours? [Share your Photos]

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
My big boy and best mate, Henry, getting bigger by the week. Dogue de Bordeaux x Neopolitan Mastiff, some people call them Ultimate Mastiffs, but I think that name is dumb. Roughly 60kg's at 15 months, eats like a horse. Tried feeding him the fancy dog food for while, was costing me upwards of $250 a week so hes on pedigree and dog roll now, which he seems to love. He's nothing but a ball of love, though people who don't know big dogs seem to be terrified of him, hence the harness.

View attachment 19017218
He is a good looking buddy.

We feed our pals 4health brand from Tractor supply Co. It was actually recommended by a petsmart employee. Dollar for dollar it seems to be one of the higher quality options. Costs $60 for a 45 lb bag. And lasts our two dogs around 3 weeks. And they are both right around 90-100 lbs.

xtsho

My big boy and best mate, Henry, getting bigger by the week. Dogue de Bordeaux x Neopolitan Mastiff, some people call them Ultimate Mastiffs, but I think that name is dumb. Roughly 60kg's at 15 months, eats like a horse. Tried feeding him the fancy dog food for while, was costing me upwards of $250 a week so hes on pedigree and dog roll now, which he seems to love. He's nothing but a ball of love, though people who don't know big dogs seem to be terrified of him, hence the harness.

View attachment 19017218

That's a big dog. Are you sure it isn't a horse in disguise? :D

I can imagine how much he eats. A friend of mine feeds their dog this fresh stuff called Farmers Dog. It's good food but expensive. They sent me a code for a free months supply as a trial. The dog loved it but it costed $10 US a day. I used the free trial and didn't order anymore. What I do is buy chicken when it's on sale for 0.99¢ lb and supplement the kibble with that additional protein.

I had to get a heavy duty harness for my APBT which only weighs 50 lbs / 23 kg but she pulls like a beast and starts lunging when she's on the leash and sees another dog. She's always been fine off-leash at the dog park but I'm probably going to stop taking her there. Last time at the dog park an unfixed male German Shepherd kept trying to mount her and after a few times she responded aggressively. I think Jasmine got her teeth into it pretty good. She was just defending herself and was not the aggressor.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Body harness is useless for control absolutely need a good neck collar of proper width.
Harness just gives them more leverage on you.
😝
IMG_20240530_195702_kindlephoto-37048287.jpg
My boy Bubba at five months.
Probably put on another 25# since that pic and still growing.

xtsho

Body harness is useless for control absolutely need a good neck collar of proper width.
😝
View attachment 19017390 My boy Bubba at five months.
Probably put on another 25# since that pic and still growing.

You think so about the harness? I got one because it has the no pull clip in the front so if you hook the leash there and the dog pulls it spins her around back towards you. After a few walks like that she stopped pulling so much and I clip the leash on her back. I like the harness because I can attach some saddle bags to it for carrying water, a collapsible bowl, and her bags of poop when I take her on longer walks. Keeps my hands free. Just have to buy a couple.

I have thought about getting one of those wide neck collars that I see people using. This isn't my dog but is how she can get when she's on a leash and see's another dog. Is that the kind of neck collar you're referring to? I'll probably get one for local walks.

pitbullpulling.jpg

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
You think so about the harness? I got one because it has the no pull clip in the front so if you hook the leash there and the dog pulls it spins her around back towards you. After a few walks like that she stopped pulling so much and I clip the leash on her back. I like the harness because I can attach some saddle bags to it for carrying water, a collapsible bowl, and her bags of poop when I take her on longer walks. Keeps my hands free. Just have to buy a couple.

I have thought about getting one of those wide neck collars that I see people using. This isn't my dog but is how she can get when she's on a leash and see's another dog. Is that the kind of neck collar you're referring to? I'll probably get one for local walks.

View attachment 19017395
Yes exactly nice and wide prevents injury buckle not a clip.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
A Training Collar and a Professional Trainer can cure that issue almost immediately. I trained professionally for about 10 years and a dog pulling on the leash is about the easiest thing to deal with....... usually. ;)

Good luck

xtsho

A Training Collar and a Professional Trainer can cure that issue almost immediately. I trained professionally for about 10 years and a dog pulling on the leash is about the easiest thing to deal with....... usually. ;)

Good luck

I got mine under control. She was a stubborn old rescue dog when I got her. Took a little while to get her to stop pulling. She still does from time to time but these APBT's are game dogs. They like to pull. I don't think it's a dog you can ever eliminate the occasional pulling.

We were making good progress training her with voice commands. In fact I think she might have been trained well in her past as she already knew most voice commands. Getting her to obey me using those commands took some time.

The problem now is the Chihuahua I got so she would have a companion dog. I have to take it with me now on walks and she starts all kinds of problems. Yapping at everything. Dogs, people, crows, bicyclists, cars, you name it. She's a yapper and that gets the big dog riled up sometimes.

CharlesU Farley

A proper collar (not a harness), with consistent walking/exercise, voice correction, and lots of patience and _love_ will get dogs to do what you want them to do.

Very similar to cannabis plants!!!! ;)

Brother Nature

A proper collar (not a harness), with consistent walking/exercise, voice correction, and lots of patience and _love_ will get dogs to do what you want them to do.

Very similar to cannabis plants!!!! ;)
I agree with this to an extent, but the reason I use a harness at times isn't because he pulls too much or is misbehaved, it's more for the other up-tight Karens with their designer Padoddles or whatever the hell is the 'in' dog's for lonely trophy wives, there's a ton of them in the area where I live and they fucking suck.

He's a mastiff so is pretty obedient and chilled out naturally, the majority of the time I can have him off the lead and there's not any issues. But he's also still a puppy and still has his nuts so can get a little distracted when he's over stimulated. It's something I'm working on, but he's also not treat responsive so it's taken a bit longer to get him there than I woul have liked.

He's not aggressive, doesn't jump or claw or do anything that I'd consider abnormal behaviour, but I guess his sheer size and other peoples poor dog knowledge leads to a certain type of person to freak out when he comes near. There was this lady yesterday walking her medium sized dog while I was playing catch with him and I didn't see them coming, so didn't re leash him. He went over and did the usual ass sniff greeting, he's quite respectable to other dogs, but the lady was freaking out and yelling and all, started trying to whip him with her lead and he's just thiking this is all a fun game so starts playing with her too. I'm biting my tounge and calling him back, he comes back pretty quick and I leash him and start to head to a diferent side of the park and she's yelling something about how she's going to call the cops for an out of control aggresive pitbull.

I live in a pretty small, but affulent beach community and a some of my recrational acivities aren't legal here so the last thing I want is to draw any negative attention to myself, so when I have to walk him during the Karen hours I find it a lot less trouble to use the harness and not draw any attention to myself. Otherwise I tend to take him out later at night or to the beach whe it's raining and I know no ones going to be around, that way he can chase seagulls and bound through the waves to his hearts content.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
I agree with this to an extent, but the reason I use a harness at times isn't because he pulls too much or is misbehaved, it's more for the other up-tight Karens with their designer Padoddles or whatever the hell is the 'in' dog's for lonely trophy wives, there's a ton of them in the area where I live and they fucking suck.

He's a mastiff so is pretty obedient and chilled out naturally, the majority of the time I can have him off the lead and there's not any issues. But he's also still a puppy and still has his nuts so can get a little distracted when he's over stimulated. It's something I'm working on, but he's also not treat responsive so it's taken a bit longer to get him there than I woul have liked.

He's not aggressive, doesn't jump or claw or do anything that I'd consider abnormal behaviour, but I guess his sheer size and other peoples poor dog knowledge leads to a certain type of person to freak out when he comes near. There was this lady yesterday walking her medium sized dog while I was playing catch with him and I didn't see them coming, so didn't re leash him. He went over and did the usual ass sniff greeting, he's quite respectable to other dogs, but the lady was freaking out and yelling and all, started trying to whip him with her lead and he's just thiking this is all a fun game so starts playing with her too. I'm biting my tounge and calling him back, he comes back pretty quick and I leash him and start to head to a diferent side of the park and she's yelling something about how she's going to call the cops for an out of control aggresive pitbull.

I live in a pretty small, but affulent beach community and a some of my recrational acivities aren't legal here so the last thing I want is to draw any negative attention to myself, so when I have to walk him during the Karen hours I find it a lot less trouble to use the harness and not draw any attention to myself. Otherwise I tend to take him out later at night or to the beach whe it's raining and I know no ones going to be around, that way he can chase seagulls and bound through the waves to his hearts content.
He looks spectacular to say the least you got a one of a kind.