What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

My dogs. Which ones are yours? [Share your Photos]

ErdenErwin

A Training Collar and a Professional Trainer can cure that issue almost immediately. I trained professionally for about 10 years and a dog pulling on the leash is about the easiest thing to deal with....... usually. ;)

Good luck
The "Geschirrgriff" (no idea what it's called in English) is a useful emergency signal for situations in which a dog is still overwhelmed and cannot show safe alternative behavior. This is often the case when a situation is very exciting for the dog. Therefore, a harness is more useful in training than just a collar in my opinion. With heavy and large dogs, you also have better control than with a collar, unless you want to break your wrist. If you only rely on a collar, you are depriving yourself of useful options and some show more aggression because of a collar. And if you think that problems between owner and dog can be solved immediately by a dog trainer, you can't be taken seriously. The problems usually lie deeper.

Eltitoguay

The "Geschirrgriff" (no idea what it's called in English) is a useful emergency signal for situations in which a dog is still overwhelmed and cannot show safe alternative behavior. This is often the case when a situation is very exciting for the dog. Therefore, a harness is more useful in training than just a collar in my opinion. With heavy and large dogs, you also have better control than with a collar, unless you want to break your wrist. If you only rely on a collar, you are depriving yourself of useful options and some show more aggression because of a collar. And if you think that problems between owner and dog can be solved immediately by a dog trainer, you can't be taken seriously. The problems usually lie deeper.
I do not agree with that: I believe that containing the load of a dog with the fixed handle of the tactical harness (Geschirrgriff?) does not take away but rather adds energy to the dog.
Of course, the same thing happens if you use a leash and a link collar in a fixed position in the same way (containing); but to do the opposite (correct and divert the dog's load), it is infinitely better. And I find it almost impossible for someone small like me to contain the load of a big Caucasus or Presa Canario, holding the handle of the harness: Consider, for example, that when large molossers (Caucasian type) are trained in protection, if a harness is used instead of a collar, the dog is tied to the lifeline or there is no one to restrain it...(no matter how strong and big the handler is).
It is also true that the physical and mental problems due to misuse of a leash and collar are much greater than those due to misuse of a harness...
As for the dog not pulling, it is relatively easy to achieve it with the typical exercises with a leash and collar in a fixed position: yes, if you put them into practice, remember that when the dog begins to pull, before making the change of direction, you must inform/warn the dog (with a verbal command or a pat on your leg, as if asking for a "together"...).

Last edited:

ErdenErwin

I do not agree with that: I believe that containing the load of a dog with the fixed handle of the tactical harness (Geschirrgriff?) does not take away but rather adds energy to the dog.
Of course, the same thing happens if you use a leash and a link collar in a fixed position in the same way (containing); but to do the opposite (correct and divert the dog's load), it is infinitely better. And I find it almost impossible for someone small like me to contain the load of a big Caucasus or Presa Canario, holding the handle of the harness: Consider, for example, that when large molossers (Caucasian type) are trained in protection, if a harness is used instead of a collar, the dog is tied to the lifeline or there is no one to restrain it...(no matter how strong and big the handler is).
It is also true that the physical and mental problems due to misuse of a leash and collar are much greater than those due to misuse of a harness...
As for the dog not pulling, it is relatively easy to achieve it with the typical exercises with a leash and collar in a fixed position: yes, if you put them into practice, remember that when the dog begins to pull, before making the change of direction, you must inform/warn the dog (with a verbal command or a pat on your leg, as if asking for a "together"...).
"Harness grip" is about developing an alternative behavior before grabbing the dog's harness. Yes, of course it works with a collar and I understand your objection, but as a professional dog trainer, to claim that you can solve problems straight away is utopian. A walk with the dog doesn't just consist of pulling on the leash, which is a red flag anyway and the dog doesn't take you seriously, but other situations, whether animals, other people, vehicles or other stimuli. I think limiting yourself to a collar is nonsense and depends on the situation and the individual dog.

Eltitoguay

"Harness grip" is about developing an alternative behavior before grabbing the dog's harness.
I don't think I understand the translation of this part; What do you mean?: It is clear that if when the dog pulls, you achieve "acceptable alternative behavior" without pulling or grabbing the harness...you no longer need pulling or restraints (?)

And what do you mean by "red flag"?

CharlesU Farley

I appreciate the kind words, he has become very integral part of my everyday life. I am on the hunt for a brother for him…😉 Tomorrow
Hope you found a bro for him! Pics if you got 'em. :)

Now every time I see pics like this, I'll think of you:

1000014194.jpg

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
420club
Nice looking dog. What kind is it?

He's a mutt. Neighbors dogs backyard tango—a pitbull/Labrador mix. My wife gave him a funky name.

“Kehei” pronounced 'key hey.'

The name “Kehei” has various meanings and interpretations based on different sources. Primarily, it is used as a male first name. In terms of its origin and meaning:

1. Numerology and Personality: Kehei is associated with sensitivity, leadership, and energetic qualities. The numerology number for Kehei is 11, considered a master number, often linked with intuition and spiritual insight. Individuals with this name may have an active and restless nature, seeking change, travel, and new opportunities. They are likely to be quick-witted, self-confident, and have a strong sense of determination

She thought it was so clever...lol

He is smart, super athletic, and sweet as can be. He is much loved and goes with me everywhere.

xtsho

He's a mutt. Neighbors dogs backyard tango—a pitbull/Labrador mix. My wife gave him a funky name.

“Kehei” pronounced 'key hey.'

The name “Kehei” has various meanings and interpretations based on different sources. Primarily, it is used as a male first name. In terms of its origin and meaning:

1. Numerology and Personality: Kehei is associated with sensitivity, leadership, and energetic qualities. The numerology number for Kehei is 11, considered a master number, often linked with intuition and spiritual insight. Individuals with this name may have an active and restless nature, seeking change, travel, and new opportunities. They are likely to be quick-witted, self-confident, and have a strong sense of determination

She thought it was so clever...lol

He is smart, super athletic, and sweet as can be. He is much loved and goes with me everywhere.

There is nothing wrong with mutts. Most of my dogs have been mutts I've gotten from the shelter. Kehei looks similar to my dog that I thought was a pitbull mix until DNA showed otherwise and showed a100% Pitbull. Kehei look like it's got some American Pitbull Terrier bloodline in it for sure.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
Summer fun...taking a break.

View attachment 19040134
There is nothing wrong with mutts. Most of my dogs have been mutts I've gotten from the shelter. Kehei looks similar to my dog that I thought was a pitbull mix until DNA showed otherwise and showed a100% Pitbull. Kehei look like it's got some American Pitbull Terrier bloodline in it for sure.
mutt is only an akc definition, all dogs are wonderful, especially the water dogs!
is he just cooling himself off or does he like the water?
we once had this aus cattle dog named jack" who loved to go to the beach and would swim out into the ocean to the point where you had to go out tehre and usher him back to shore
i have no idea what he hoped to find but he sure loved the water

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
420club
mutt is only an akc definition, all dogs are wonderful, especially the water dogs!
is he just cooling himself off or does he like the water?
we once had this aus cattle dog named jack" who loved to go to the beach and would swim out into the ocean to the point where you had to go out tehre and usher him back to shore
i have no idea what he hoped to find but he sure loved the water

LOL...yep. He pulls to the water and drives in once off the lead. It's sort of fun because otherwise, he's pretty laid-back. I also have to swim to get him, and I wonder if he'll be exhausted and have trouble getting ashore. The beach is his favorite place. It's got to be the lab in him.

Latest posts

Latest posts