What's new

Mold resistance

gingerale

Veteran
Does anyone know the genetic basis for mold resistance? I.e. are there certain specific moldicides produced by the plant?

Oregonism

Does anyone know the genetic basis for mold resistance? I.e. are there certain specific moldicides produced by the plant?

Technically, yes, plants produce chemicals with fungicidal properties, but I think you are referring to something more along the lines of anti-spore? Like an apoptotic?

GrowbagUK

Bud structure plays a part also.

Airy, open buds don't hold as much moisture and dry off faster making it more difficult for molds to get a foothold.

Really dense nugget type buds (high calyx/leaf ratio) can be good at shedding more water and don't provide voids where moisture can build up.

The dense yet leafy type buds seem the worst for trapping moisture and providing a haven for spores to take hold.

gingerale

Veteran
I realize this, and yet these plants do produce some type of moldicide. Some to greater or lesser degrees than others. The question is: WHAT is this chemical? I'm guessing nobody actually knows.

I think in most plants so called Chitinases are responsible for the fungal resistance. These are enzymes that break down the cell wall of the fungus.

Granger2

Veteran
Notice that landraces that are native to altitude [thin air, low humidity] usually make dense tight buds, while lowland races [humid thick air] usually have airy buds. Natural and human selection. -granger

GrowbagUK

Quite a few terpenes have been shown to have fungicidal properties (e.g. thymol and carvacrol). I daresay there are numerous chemical defenses for molds.

StRa

Señor Member
Veteran
I've had great results against mold adding silica to my nutes or soil, silica helps to build strong cell walls, increasing resistence against infections ....thanks to crazy composer for the info

Last edited: