What's new

MMPR- meet the players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
This is not a comprehensive list be any means, just a list of those currently operating within the canadian commercial paradigm, or are publicly pursuing the possibilities opening up under the proposed MMPR. More names will be added over the next year as companies apply for licenses and make public their intentions.

Bedrocan

http://www.bedrocan.nl/

Bedrocan is a dutch company based in northern Holland that currently supplies 4 standardized varieties of medical cannabis to the Office of Medicinal Cannabis, who in turn re-distributes the medicine via pharmacies in Holland.

Their high THC (19%) variety 'Bedrocan' (tm), formerly known as Jack Herer, was bred by a breeder who is a member of the Bedrocan team. Other varieties include Bedrobinol (tm) (a 14% THC variety), Bedica (tm) (an indica based variety @ 14% THC, also high in Myrcene), and Bediol (tm) (a 6% THC, 7.5% CBD variety).

It's public knowledge that the folks involved with Bedrocan produced seeds in Holland legally until 1998 when the dutch government changed the laws and made indoor seed production illegal. The dutch, ever pragmatic, consulted with these folks (and others) when medical marijuana was raised as an issue in the dutch government system in order to see if they could produce a standardized, consistent, quality crop. In contrast to the Canadian government, who upon tendering the original contract to produce marijuana for medical purposes in Canada, required that the producers must have zero experience in growing cannabis. The dutch decided to seek out those with experience- could this be the difference between Bedrocan and Plant Prarie Systems medicine?

Bedrocan was one of 2 producers to operate in Holland producing cannabis for the OMC, and the only entity currently producing cannabis for medical purposes under license in Holland. The other company, the Stichting Institute of Medical Marijuana (SIMM), had their license terminated in 2005 after levels of pesticides reportedly above tolerable limites were found in the medicine- which were said to be from contamination from nearby crops, as they were producing in a light supplemented greenhouse that contained heat louvres on the greenhouse that allowed heat to rise out from the top of the structure, and by corollary apparently allowed pesticides to enter.

Prarie Plant Systems
http://www.prairieplant.com/

Plant Prairie Systems, aka PPS currently holds the only commercial license to produce cannabis in Canada. Based in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, they have grown a single variety of cannabis for distribution through Health Canada. There's been a great deal about PPS written in the canadian public media, including court cases and rulings about the quality of the product, which in fact spurned the PPL scheme that will end with the DPL (tentatively?) as of March 31st, 2014.

PPS' medicine was originally produced in a secure mine facility, underground in Flin Flon, Manitoba.

From Wikipedia:

Marijuana production
Flin Flon gained international notoriety in 2002 when the Government of Canada awarded a four-year contract to a Saskatoon-based company for the production of medicinal marijuana. Prairie Plant Systems, based in Saskatoon, used an inactive underground copper/zinc drift owned by the Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Company to produce approximately 400 kilograms of medicinal marijuana annually. The entire operation was situated several hundred metres under Flin Flon for security and climate control reasons.

Since the original stock of marijuana seeds were obtained from Royal Canadian Mounted Police drug raids, there was some lack of consistency in the early crops of medicinal marijuana. After selective use of seeds from the first crop, subsequent generations have shown to have a more consistent quality.

In 2009, Prairie Plant Systems discontinued operation at the mine due to the ending of their lease and the uncertainty regarding the pending closure of the Trout Lake mine.[13]"

I think PPS got a bit of a bad shake with this government contract to produce- they haven't been able to speak publicly about their product due to the contract with HC, and have also been bound by the requirements for the product as outlined by HC. I feel they can probably produce better medicine than that which we can currently source from them, we'll see if they participate in the new system- I don't see why they wouldn't.

Abbattis Bioceuticals

http://www.abattis.com/s/home.asp

From a recent press release:
Mar 12, 2013
Abattis Provides $10,000 Sponsorship to the American Herbal Pharmacopoeia for Cannabis Monograph Project
Sponsorship will fund completion of monograph to guide commercial production in Canada

Vancouver, B.C. (March 12, 2013) - Abattis Bioceuticals Corp (OTC PINK: ATTBF) (CNSX: FLU) today announced that it has provided $10,000 sponsorship for the cannabis (cannabis sp.) monograph and therapeutic compendium currently under development by the American Herbal Pharmacopoeia (AHP).

The monograph, scheduled for release in Spring 2013, will provide industry with a variety of scientifically valid analytical methods suitable for use in the identification, purity, and quality assessment of cannabis and its crude products.

Health Canada has recently proposed changes to the Canada's Marijuana Medical Access Program that aims to treat marijuana as it does any prescribed drug, allowing for legal commercial production for those who meet specific requirements.

"This generous sponsorship from Abattis Bioceuticals will facilitate the completion of this important and timely monograph," said Roy Upton, executive director of AHP. "There is a critical need for quality controls to be put in place in the cannabis industry to ensure valid and appropriate testing methodologies, and the AHP monograph will help to create greater transparency and establish standard methods of analysis."

"We are extremely proud to support the development of this monograph by AHP," said Mr. Michael Withrow, Abattis' chief executive officer. He went on to say, "There is a strong need for the development of transparent standards for cannabis and its products and an incredible need for objective and critical review of the therapeutic and safety data on cannabis, especially now as the laws are being changed to allow for multiple uses of this misunderstood botanical. The world needs standards for Cannabis and the many phytochemicals that come from it so lawmakers can properly categorize them and so formulators can legally apply the compounds in appropriate products that help those who are suffering from various chronic diseases."

About Abattis Bioceuticals Corp.

Abattis Bioceuticals Corp., based in Langley, B.C., is a specialty biotechnology company with capabilities through its wholly owned subsidiaries of growing, producing, licensing and marketing proprietary ingredients and products containing standardized phytochemicals for sale in the pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, cosmetics, and animal nutrition markets. The company also has a deep pipeline of proprietary products ready for sale in high-growth areas of functional foods and dietary supplements business. For more information, visit the company's website at www.abattis.com.

About the American Herbal Pharmacopoeia

The American Herbal Pharmacopoeia is a non-profit 501C(3), California-based research organization with a mission to promote the responsible use of herbal products and herbal medicines through the production of critically reviewed monographs that outline the quality control criteria needed for ensuring the identity, purity, and quality of botanical raw materials. Founded in 1995, AHP has monographs on 35 different botanicals. For more information, visit AHP's website, http://www.herbal-ahp.org/index.html.

ON BEHALF OF THE BOARD
"Michael Withrow"

Clearly Abbattis is interested in the market developing out of the MMPR, and sponsoring the AHP Monograph is an attempt to gain media attention and promote their intentions, at least how I see it.

So there's your primer on a few of the players, know who you are 'competing' against.
More to follow....
-Chimera

Last edited:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
What couldn't a good grower do with a closed mine for climate control and exhausting. 400kg a year or 2.5lbs a day seems really low production for such an elaborate underground facility.

I am not in Canada but if I were I would double my efforts to OverGrow and retain the power the government wishes to monopolize.

Long live the home grower..

:joint:

P

Prairie Boy

Back to the players,they can produce weed for $5 or $1 they won't be seeing my money.No offence to any of you that are goin for it,but I'm a child of this planet, and without harming another sole I'll do whatever the fuk I see fit.This includes growin my own food and meds.

Cheers PB

Docteur

GW PHARM ??

GW PHARM ??

Hey Chimera, What about GW pharmaceutical ??

They bought Hortapharm B.V, along with all of the Robert Connell Clarke and David Watson strains, Skunkman said it was the most extensive 'Living Library' of Medicinal Cannabis varieties in 1998.

They are controlled by the ex-Nazis Bayer and they grow hundreds of tons of cannabis in the Porton-Down government military science park each year.

Seems like a good player for the game doesn't it ?

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Canadian firm eyes Boulder for factory to make marijuana-infused tea
POSTED: 03/27/2013 03:58:32 PM MDT
UPDATED: 03/27/2013 11:40:22 PM MDTBy Steve Raabe
The Denver Post

Canadian biotech firm Abattis Bioceuticals plans to open a Boulder plant to produce beverages infused with non-narcotic marijuana compounds.

The facility will make kombucha tea containing marijuana-based cannabidiol, or CBD, a substance with purported anti-inflammatory properties. Abattis officials said Colorado was selected for the manufacturing plant because of the market potential for cannabis products after the passage of Amendment 64 which legalizes possession of marijuana.

"Colorado is a business-oriented state that supports this growing sector," said Nick Brusatore, a member of Abattis' board of directors.

Brusatore said the plant, at a yet-undetermined location, initially will employ about 10 workers and could grow to 30 jobs depending on market demand for the beverage.

Abattis' interest in Boulder was reported last week in Medical Marijuana Business Daily. Vancouver-based Abattis recently signed a letter of intent with Crudessence Kombucha Inc., maker of Rise sparkling tea, to license the production of kombucha infused with CBD. Kombucha is a microbial culture of bacteria and yeast species.

Read more: Canadian firm eyes Boulder for factory to make marijuana-infused tea - The Denver Post
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...-factory-make-marijuana-infused#ixzz2OowXCEJe

bigbag

Veteran
Medijean is another would be player, heard they have a 600 bulber in Richmond

Last edited:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/pot-ac...ensed-producer-after-changes-in-law-1.1377476

TORONTO -- Marijuana activist Sam Mellace hopes to be the first licensed medical marijuana producer in Canada after spending the past 10 years running his "pretty much" legal operation.

The Abbotsford, B.C., resident has been producing marijuana since 2002 for himself and three other medical users in accordance with current laws.

But starting April 1, 2014, authorized users will not be able to grow their own pot -- the only way they will be able to get their product will be from licensed producers.

Mellace intends to submit his application to Health Canada on Monday, hoping to get the first licence for his company New Age Medical Solutions, but he's up against stiff competition.

For the past 13 years Prairie Plant Systems Inc. has been the only company that has been producing legal marijuana and marijuana seeds on contract to Health Canada. The company submitted its application earlier this month.

"Up to this point we've been the only ones working with the rules," says the company's CEO Brent Zettl.

He says this has led to "unfair competition" from amateur operations because they don't have any requirements about quality control.

"They can do whatever they want," he says, but now everyone will be on the same page.

Mellace says his system is advanced as well.

At Mellace's compound, with security cameras and dogs, he says he profiles the plants and checks them regularly.

"Our main objective is to help as many people as we can and give them the best product possible," he says.

But he admits he hasn't always operated strictly to the letter of the law.

Mellace, who uses medically prescribed marijuana due to chronic pain from a bad car accident about 10 years ago, doesn't like to smoke marijuana. Instead, he turns the crops he grows into a kind of butter in a process skirting the law. He uses the butter in cookies and even spaghetti sauce. He has also made a cream from marijuana for arthritis.

"We follow, pretty much, the rule of law," he says but admits to occasionally processing more than the legally allowed amount when making his butter.

"I would say it's a grey area," he says.

Jeannine Ritchot, Health Canada's director of medical marijuana regulatory reform, says that the new rules have been put into place to answer concerns from municipalities, as well as fire and law enforcement officials about public health and public safety.
"The purpose of that is to make sure that consumers are having access to quality-controlled marijuana," she says.

Currently the ministry's marijuana is supplied to authorized users by mail and she says the government has seen this as the safest way to provide it.

"There's been virtually no episodes of diversion as a result of this system," she says.

The new rules, announced in June, create a system of supply and distribution by licensed producers regulated by the government ministry. These producers will be subject to security requirements, inspections and good production practices.

The new system will run alongside the old one until April 1, 2014. Under the old system, people prescribed with medical marijuana were able to grow their own plants and buy seeds and marijuana from Health Canada. Starting in April of next year, authorized people will only be able to get medical marijuana from private licensed producers.

Health Canada has said in a statement that it will be increasing their price -- currently set at $5 per gram -- to match the price of "the first established licensed producer."

"Our interest is creating a viable competitive market place," Ritchot said.

Zettl believes this price change will reflect the initial cost of shipping.

"If this becomes an issue they're going to be factoring this into the consideration price wise," he says.

According to the most recent statistics released Dec. 31 by Health Canada, 28,115 people are authorized to possess dried marijuana in Canada. Of those, 18,063 have licenses to produce their own marijuana for personal use while 5,283 indicated they will get marijuana or seeds from Health Canada.

That means that once the new rules come into full effect, nearly 30,000 people will have to get their pot through the mail from a licensed producer.

Zettl welcomes the idea of having competition "on a level playing field."

For Mellace the race is on.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That means that once the new rules come into full effect, nearly 30,000 people will have to get their pot through the mail from a licensed producer.
[/FONT]

LOL 25000 of those licensed people will be gone forever on April 1st 2014. Nice spin on the numbers of potential customers. Then will those left over people actually want to get a prescription?

VagPuncher

Balls Deep!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LOL 25000 of those licensed people will be gone forever on April 1st 2014. Nice spin on the numbers of potential customers. Then will those left over people actually want to get a prescription?

Seems to be a huge problem licensed producers are forgetting. Nobody is going to wait a week to get high.

I predict many of them shutting down after 6 months of paying hydro bills and a few hundred orders.

Deepest pockets wins this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts