What's new

MICRONIZED calcium carbonate

S

SeaMaiden

CO2? Where would the CO2 be coming from?

I'd have to read more about the product than what they're putting out for the patent, but as I understand it, micronizing carbonates (the CO3 portion of all those molecules except the silicon dioxide), makes the other portions of the molecules more easily or readily available to biology. Simply put, they're chopping it into smaller bites.

What's the question? I'm not sure if micronized calcite is chopped up sufficiently for it to be an efficacious product to use for foliar applications, if that's what you're asking. Are you looking for a Ca product to use as a foliar?

fungzyme

Wouldn't the CaCO3 be dissolved if used as a foliar? If dissolved, I don't think it really matters what the particle size of the powder was to start with. I agree that the smaller particle size makes most anything more readily available to plants/microlife.

And to get CO2 from CaCO3 you'd need to react it with an acid (vinegar would work) same as getting CO2 from sodium bicarb and vinegar in science class. Don't know if this would be of any significant use to the plant or not, but you'd probably get more bang for your buck by improving air exchange in your room IMO.

G

greenmatter

there are no miracles in the bottles at the grow store. unless you consider an empty wallet a miracle

fungzyme

Yeah, you said that already.

What people want to know, in order to answer your question, is specifically what route of application you are intending to use. Are you talking about a foliar application with added humic acid? If so, it's like I said above - it doesn't really matter what the original particle size of the dry powder was once it's dissolved and in solution. And yes, foliar would be the fastest application method. I've made a foliar ca++ solution out of powdered oyster shell in a weakly acidic vinegar solution (pH between 5 and 5.5).

And obviously caco3 wouldn't supplement mag. So I'm assuming you're going to add some epsom salts to whatever you're making?

S

SeaMaiden

Ok, shaggy, gotcha. As fungzyme is saying, you'd need to get that into solution, and frankly I find it easier, if not cheaper, to simply buy a ready-made product. The product *I* like for Ca is BioLink 6% Ca, derived from CaCO3. No Mg in it, so for coir cultivation I supplement feeds with MgSO4. For soil I'm putting it all in the soil and letting the soil life do what they will.

The calcite you're posting about provides lots of things, but many of those compounds are bonded with the CO3 molecule, and that bond needs breaking. The CO3 portion remains, causing alkalinity (resistance to pH shift).

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am looking for a calcium that is instantly absorb able to act like a delivery agent as well as a cal/mag supplement.

sounds like you just need simple Epsom salts to me. with tap water. tap water is full of calcium. together tap water and epsom satls make a fast acting cal/mag boost. add it to soil, coco or hydro.

fungzyme

You can't really take an abstract from PubMed about an experiment on mice and extrapolate that to plants. Two totally different organisms.

But as a general rule, the smaller the particle size, the faster most any reaction occurs (absorption, dissolution, most chemical reactions, etc.)