What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Calcium Deficit?

banjoslaughter

Good morning! I have a 5 week plant that is starting to have issues. Last week I noticed iridescent marks on my largest fan leaf. I thought it was damage from earlier in the grow as Inhad to switch this plant from autopot to DWC to rescue it from a dumb error. I removed the leaf and am now starting to see these iridescent spots turn to brown spots within 24 hours. My gut is telling me Calcium deficit; but I am not sure. Full disclosure, this is my first cannabis plant, but I’ve been growing lettuce for years, so I am a non noob noob. I am growing in dwc with a 3.5 gallon bucket and hydroton. I switch out the nutrients every week using GH Flora trio. I add calmagic as well as hydro-guard. My water temps are a little high at 73-74, used RO water as my base, my EC is around 1.7. I keep the PH around between 5.7 and 5.9. I use the Infinity 69 pro with the AC infinity humidifier, lights, recirculating fan, and in-line fan.

My gut is telling me to raise the PH to 6.0 to rule out Cal lockout.

I welcome any and all suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_0731.jpeg
    IMG_0731.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0727.jpeg
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 58

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Good morning! I have a 5 week plant that is starting to have issues. Last week I noticed iridescent marks on my largest fan leaf. I thought it was damage from earlier in the grow as Inhad to switch this plant from autopot to DWC to rescue it from a dumb error. I removed the leaf and am now starting to see these iridescent spots turn to brown spots within 24 hours. My gut is telling me Calcium deficit; but I am not sure. Full disclosure, this is my first cannabis plant, but I’ve been growing lettuce for years, so I am a non noob noob. I am growing in dwc with a 3.5 gallon bucket and hydroton. I switch out the nutrients every week using GH Flora trio. I add calmagic as well as hydro-guard. My water temps are a little high at 73-74, used RO water as my base, my EC is around 1.7. I keep the PH around between 5.7 and 5.9. I use the Infinity 69 pro with the AC infinity humidifier, lights, recirculating fan, and in-line fan.

My gut is telling me to raise the PH to 6.0 to rule out Cal lockout.

I welcome any and all suggestions!
Sorry you are having problems friend, wow what a big leaf. I would go by the table chart GH fora uses by the book. NOT LESS or MORE. Also, make sure the light is not too close. Your water temps are a little high.

64-72°F
The DWC water temp Celsius range is between 18-22°C - (64-72°F). It is important to keep the water temperature in this range because higher temperatures can lead to a lack of dissolved oxygen in the water, which can cause root rot and other issues. Google

Stone

That does look like calcium, but from your feeds I wouldn’t expect it.
Foliar feed the calcium for this issue as you dial out the original cause.

Those aren’t cause for big concern.
A whole plant picture would give us a better idea.

linde

Yes you are correct. Calcium won't be absorbed with that low of pH. Raise pH and deficiency will go away. Edit.... that was a month ago. I'm sure the op has resolved his problem by now.

Onboard

Yes you are correct. Calcium won't be absorbed with that low of pH. Raise pH and deficiency will go away. Edit.... that was a month ago. I'm sure the op has resolved his problem by now.
I appreciate that input though, and can confirm!

I was feeding lots of Ca at pH 5.5-6.0, and still had those exact discolourations. (Mostly on the lower leaves, turned into brown dead spots over time. I think.)
But after upping to pH 6.3-6.8, everything turned green again. It also improved P uptake (much less red stems and petioles), and Mg uptake, too.
I could also cut down on the overall feeding with at least one third.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts