What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Mendo County Eradicates Pinoleville Reservations Cannabis Garden

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
The Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office raided a medical marijuana growing operation on Indian land just north of Ukiah Tuesday, disrupting a high-profile project that had garnered national attention and was hailed by tribal leaders as a new way to generate jobs and revenue for cash-strapped tribes.
Deputies eradicated some 400 pot plants from one location and at another began dismantling a “highly sophisticated” chemical laboratory where honey oil — a sticky, concentrated pot product used to make edible medicine — was being manufactured under the auspices of the Pinoleville Pomo Nation, said Sheriff’s Capt. Greg Van Patten.

Read the article in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat by Glenda Anderson for more information.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/4516490-181/mendocino-county-sheriffs-deputies-raid

Attachments

• mendo bust.jpg
    mendo bust.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 14

mack 10

Veteran
The pic of the fat piggies destroying the plants really suck.
Show the insane times we in.

Yeah drove by that awhile back. Didnt know what they expected. Was literally 100ft from hwy 101. Blatantly daring the county to do something

dddaver

Veteran
Complicated issue. Native American land? How did the sheriff even have any jurisdiction there? I thought the Native Americans were recently granted the right to grow on their land. But then again the government has a long history of messing with the Native Americans, breaking treaties, mistreatment, whatever.

This has the potential to get public support and outrage and force the feds to finally move. Just a shame something like this had to happen.

I'm sure some people on the lower end of the economic scale were really counting on this so are going to suffer really harsh consequences. But ain't that always the way, the weakest are the easiest targets and the hardest hit.

I hope that's not the last we hear of this. Maybe these guys will get compensation. According to LEO, 400 plants, that's about $10 mil. And all that other stuff another $10 mil. That's just using their numbers. That's just fair, right?

Thanks Payoso.

MountZionCollec

I have followed this issue very closely since it was announced in January. News has been sparse since about February when sheriff informed them their plan was illegal.

Per county code they are allowed 25 plants. If u go back and read previous news articles that caneles guy was saying they planned to "test" the sheriff at some point this year because for most of the year they only had 25 plants from the info I could gather. I thought caneles said they would add a 26th pot to see what they would do. I guess after fox berry and united bailed there was no more logic in the room and they jumped to 400. The sheriff told them he would bust them, many times.

This really all started by corporations looking to turn a huge profit, and who gets fucked in the end? The natives but I don't feel sorry for them because all of the main Indian law lawyers told them this was VERY RISKY and not a smart move and not the proper way for Natives to enter the cannabis industry.

They cannot 1) say they comply with California medical cannabis law and then 2) say that state laws on the subject do not apply to them...they can't have it both ways. I really surprised the tribe was this stupid. They JUST raided that huge native operation more north eastern Cali just 6 or so weeks ago.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was it the plant count or making honey oil....in the end that got them?? I'm thinking the latter. Perhaps they should have stayed within the confines of plant count?

Im sure it was the plant count. 400 plants in absolute plain view from 101. Doesnt go unnoticed. Like I said, blatantly testing the county......

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im sure it was the plant count. 400 plants in absolute plain view from 101. Doesnt go unnoticed. Like I said, blatantly testing the county......

Most likely....thumbing their noses at authorities doing either.....so could impact other tribes wanting to abide by designations set forth. Tsk.

BM-504

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That freeway grow never got planted, the place they busted was back off the 101 about a 1/2 mile.

Stay safe
BM

i remember when this land all belonged to native americans...my how times have changed. pretty much been made extinct through genocide and now the last few are being starved to death. Go Redskins.

Last edited:

ApolloAK

They got busted because they are exporting all the medicine off their land. Had they had a dispensary and a seed to sale system in place they probably would have been fine.

but they didn't harvest those 400 plants yet, so how do you know they were exporting them? at any rate...they should be able to do whatever the fuck they want imho. the govt did steal their whole country and kill all their people afterall.

ApolloAK

but they didn't harvest those 400 plants yet, so how do you know they were exporting them? at any rate...they should be able to do whatever the fuck they want imho. the govt did steal their whole country and kill all their people afterall.

Deputies eradicated some 400 pot plants from an outdoor location. At another location, they began dismantling a “highly sophisticated” chemical laboratory where honey oil — a sticky, concentrated pot product used to make edible medicine— was being manufactured under the auspices of the Pinoleville Pomo Nation, said Sheriff’s Capt. Greg Van Patten. More than 100 pounds of trimmed and drying marijuana also was found inside the laboratory building, a former car dealership on North State Street.

So where was all that weed and BHO gonna go? They only had a farm and no tracking system, do you honestly think they're sitting there smoking it all when the operation is of commercial size?

This isn't about what they SHOULD be allowed to do, it's about what they ARE allowed to do. They did not follow Cole's memo, and as a result they got busted. They wanted to take the quick and cheap route instead of investing in a dispensary. I'm sure there are still many details from the police we do not know yet, but I would imagine it would not be hard to surveillance a farm that's literally right off the 101 in everybody's face.

Genghis Kush

They must not be under federal jurisdiction. meaning they are not recognized by the federal government, only by the state.
If they where "federally recognized", than only federal agents could legally enter the "reservation".

oglala

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I didn't think they were allowed to do that on tribal land only feds....that's fucked up.....yeehaw

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Mendo county is not as free as many people think. In general. All bets are always off. Thumbing your nose almost never pays off. Being honest with authorities, or going underground - probably better off staying out of sight in all ways possible.