What's new

Massachusetts MMJ laws going into effect by May

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Left Mass in 82 never looked back...although Northampton had some good indoor growers even then

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
What do you mean, can negotiate with their doctor? Negotiate what?

They want to be exactly like Colorado. Read the draft. Seed to sale control. Centers have to grow their own. They are following and expanding upon the CO blueprint.

Oh I hear you, Rasputin. Good post. What's happening in Mass is proving to be in many respects much more restrictive than I was hoping for.

A couple of clarifications...what I meant by "negotiate" - the original proposition, as I understand it, defined a small number of very serious medical conditions - it sounds as if the regs will allow the patient and doctor to determine whether a prescription is appropriate - thus potentially opening up prescriptions for things like anxiety, chronic pain, etc. Perhaps I'm interpreting things incorrectly. If I'm correct - it's a win.

As to CO...Colorado is different, I think because there's a constitutional right to determine one's treatment, in my limited understanding. (I'm discussing what was - not the recreational morph that is now occurring.) Thus, with an easily obtained card, one cab cultivate up to six plants (I think) and can also accumulate cards as a care giver. In addition, dispensaries were not lotteried out and while there is/was a moratorium, I don't believe that there was a state process in determining how many there could be at first.

In contrast, it is my understanding that people are going to have to bid to be selected as one of 35 (?) dispensaries, pay a large amount of money (non-refundable) to have the bid be considered and then the state will somehow determine who gets the license. One will not be able to "legally" cultivate unless one is exempted due to some type of hardship. Thus - one will be limited to obtaining one's meds from a state sanctioned dispensary. Again, perhaps my information is incorrect or old - if so, I would welcome further education as to the current state of things.

As to the point about prosecution...perhaps you're right. My thinking is that LEO is already being directed away from small busts - and that this is just going to be making it harder to get it up to prosecute...unless of course one is selling to schoolkids. My thinking is that politicians, town officials, etc. are well-aware of the public's sentiment as reflected in the hefty majority that voted for the proposition. They may or may not hate it - but they get it. My thinking -and yes, perhaps its dreaming- is that there will ultimately be a court case that challenges a prosecution for growing outside of the regulations on due process grounds.

atsapapa

it's all about the money...

it's all about the money...

the states will find a way to profit off these new laws. everyone is hurting so bad for money you know the state wants in on the profit.

S

Slip Kid

I'd sit in front of a Mass jury anytime(if I had to!!!!) compared to most other states.I've sat on several and it's unbelievable how people, old and young don't trust the cops here.In another state like say Ct, that's a different story but I've never seen anyone go to jail for cultivation or possesion here.I saw a girl with 14 huge plants on her deck, a pound of weed, a list of customers and how much they owed, scales etc receive 6 months probation.The judge asked her if she could refrain from these activities for 6 months. I couldn't believe it.A guy in my town wasn't home when the cops came and took his plants so he went and asked for them back!! Same thing, 6 months.Mass seems to consider drug issues a health problem, not a legal one, at least from what I read in the court reports. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mud Boy

Count your blessings, people where I live are getting 30 days for a joint. I'll take liberals every time.

S

Slip Kid

On the other hand, all you have to do is tell some punk you're going to knock his block off and your house will be sourrounded!!One punch= roughly 200 plants.Drunk driving, say goodbye to your life too_On the brighter side you can use either the mens or womens bathroom, depending on how you're feeling that day.:) So does anybody have any idea yet who will be prestigious enough to run a dispensary? My dad is John Kerry, will that help??:laughing:

so please correct me if im wrong but these rules dont seems too tight.. as i read it...stoned so feel free to correct.. but as far as i can see anyone with a recomendation can grow and posess until the cards and fees are in place.. then get a reccomendation..for any of the listed or just chronic pain and dabilitating conditions...so its like cali..anyone walks into a cannamed out here with 199$ and medical records and a complaint they cant eat or sleep or anxiety or whatever loosely fits and they can go send the paperwork and fee and posess my 60 day supply...umm i mean my ten friggin ounces!! lol great limit by the way.. and this hardship shit...read it closely because i see it as if you make less than the 15 grand or so a year..which i do not fit.. OOOORRRRRR you are too far and the dispensary doesnt deliver and you have no feesible transport..this works for me and everyone at first because there will be none for a bit..hopefully a while..no offence.. but also my car is in my fiances name..so i have none.. therefore no transport...ANNNDDDD the law leaves it wide open for plant counts..whatever u need for ur ten ounces.. hide the rest...lol just say you need 500 plants cuz u do all tinctures, oils, edibles, and concentrated of all types... alot is left nicely open...so in summary.. shouldnt be that hard to get a card.. and not much harder to grow under hardship cultivation laws if you play the loopholes...... did i misunderstand this??

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the final regulations that come into affect 5/24.

As written:
http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/regs/105cmr725.pdf

Here's a good summary if that gives you a headache.

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2013/17727/massachusetts-medical-marijuana-regulations-approved/

I'm a legal patient, just to cover my grower-ass, but I'll be remaining rogue. Ten Z's every 60 days is around what I produce anyway as a hobby grower, no way I can smoke that in 60 days. :D
As long as I can cover my costs like I do now, I'm happy.

"Land of the Free" and I can't grow my own medicine? BS on that!
Third party lab to test quality, shit, I'd be better off buying a Chromatography machine and such and becoming a Lab than open a dispensary!
This old hippie is headed for the hills, what a bunch of nonsense!

S

Slip Kid

I'm not sure.Is any town even close to opening a dispensary? I know some of the towns around me are chomping at the bit to throw one up.It's funny to see this in places where you can't put in a new window without a permit and an inspection, technically.It should be interesting to see how this unfolds eventually.

supermanlives

Veteran
people sell on craigslist without a rec too.matter of fact you can get just about anything on cl. I was talking about if the state got involved. as taxes there are insane. I hated paying that much cash to that state when I had a business there.

S

Slip Kid

The Mass State Gov is ruthless about their taxes. They tax you on everything and then some. They consider businesses their employees and they want their money.It's bad. MMJ will cost at least $400/oz maybe more if they ever get up and running.I know they're closing in on opening dispos by Jan but where's the product coming from , they have to grow it first.
The people who made it through the process and have been given the go ahead to open a dispo are not "our kind" to put it mildly.They will want to see profits and I hear the state will be giving discounts for the poor, coupons or some such thing.These folks have put up a load of money so the Dr's better start writing recs fast because to turn a profit they'll have to be moving lots of oz's!!....Now those folks won't be selling their meds to other folks like they do with their oxys will they? Now that makes it $600/oz!!! Just what the older people pay the kids they get it from now, $125/quarter. I could be quite wrong but when the dispos see their juice bills and start up costs.....then add a PM blowout....