What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

MARIJUANA CANT BE MEDICAL UNLESS UV LIGHT

Have seen a difference with UVB light and it's effects. What concerns me is not many recent studies using modern higher output UVB lights. ie. 10% and above. Just an example of questions regarding nm wave lengths for instantance. UVB nm wave length starts around 290 and goes up to 380 or so. Also believe the sweet spot is 312 to 330nm from an article on UVB effects. Will try and find it.

What light bulbs did clark use in his tests? What was the % of UVB from those bulbs and what was the distance. inverse square rule and coverage of flowers would be information needed to render real results.

Was the video from marijuana man all bs? What studies can you use to refuit his findings? Another example of unknown information is was it conducted on clones or seed plants? different seed plant as we all know would produce different numbers if not identical clones.

One last example of measuring THC levels in more recent breeding works, they have been worked to have higher levels of thc from breeding elite strains or higher thc strains into the mix. This also would skew the results of indoor grown strains without UVB present as most use low uvb light like HPS. And glass filters. But the strains where breed to produce high thc content already.

Does it help? I believe there is evidence to prove that in conjunction with indoor light and suplementing UVB full spectrum florecent bulbs there is a mesureable effect on thc resin glands and the other chemicals that reside inside the stem and head of said gland.

Altitude also seems to have an effect as the exposure of UVB increases the higher you go. Was there another reason besides UVB that highland grown cannabis was typically higher in thc than lowland grown cannabis? Or is that a myth?

The effects I have noticed was the high was more trippy with some strains and longer lasting. But that is just what I noticed.
And the glands seem to mature faster.

B

BredForMeds

I was talking to a farmer about this... he came to the same conclusion.. he did a test.. and left 1 10 yards un covered with that shade cloth.. and the 10 yards.. were the worst 10 yards in the entire FIELD.. this is from a food and feed farmer.. not a weed farmer..

has anyone tried the theory of adding a MALE.. into your flower chamber .. during the last 2 weeks.. not allowing it to flower but just chill in the room with lights on... I was told from the farmer.. that plants will read that there is a male in the area.. and try to get pollinated.. so as they get more ripened.. ?

to me.. it makes sense. UVB and UVA in minimal amounts might help trich production but I believe trichome production is genetic.. and manipulating them is usually because your not full dialed in with that strain.. so ur seeing better results.. and blaming it on a 30 $ reptile bulb lol instead of environment and nutes being dialed.

mack 10

Veteran
^^ Also heard some ol'timers talk about having a male in the room to stress the girls into throwing more pistil's and more rein production. A few tests are needed, i think?

As far as 'pores per square inch' or the actual size of the mature trichomes, (short and fat or tall and skinny capitulate stalks...large or small globular heads, for instance) I believe that trichome production is a function of it's genetics. If I want more trichomes, or 'different' trichomes...I focus on crossing quality strains, selective back-crossing and luck. Not lighting.

I also believe that under the right environmental and nutritional conditions, supplemental UV indoors 'ages' the contents of the globular head faster than trich's not exposed. (perhaps what Marij. Man was trying to say in his 10 year old video) This can easily be the reason for 'different' effects when smoked. I do not really think that UV increases THC or CBD's. But the conversion of CBD's into CBN (or was it the other way around...?) MIGHT be hastened by the UV...changing the THC:CBD ratio, which in turn changes the effects. (cloudy vs. rusty trichomes) Additional time under normal lights does the same thing, as far as I'm concerned.
I can see where using UV to shave a week off of flowering is tempting...but conversely...if you burn the exposed leaves you've set yourself back a couple of weeks, till the ladies recover. If they even recover.

Disaster happens overnight, and you can not un-seed a grow room full of pollinated plants. If you don't really know what you're doing...let someone else play with the males. But no...I've never seen a structural or visible difference in grows with males and without. I do a perpetual garden, and always have mature ladies in there when growing-out the male(s). No difference at all...unless I have an unauthorized pollen release. THEN I see changes, lol.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it... :tiphat:

burmese

i use uv mostly only for fuller spectrum, now iam damaging my africans to not grow big and strong //for instance midddle plant is damaged by 4times higher uv than in naturals and top buds growed, smoked and lower buds i seeded.//i do sometimes this dammaging method of breed, and my theory is to bringup and push up some unusual genetic predisposition caused by stress into seeds
-on side of that //in the middle area plant of coffe gold// this uv lightet area causes quicker oldering plant materiál, and mornings are stems fully in crystals//
- second thing is that with uv added lights you have more thicks leafs like with leds compare to cfls
- kalichakra for instance cant go closer than 30 cm to only 26w reptilight //she growed opposite side//, carnival for instance dont grow closer than 20cm and end up with extremely thin leafs
- and its true that when you have uv light in spectrum that you have always a little bit that better high just like you were smoked first time