What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

haze*ekiel420

Heyhey ☀️

Thx to all for This inspiring Thread!

I tried it yesterday, but i think the weed was to dry😅

Before harvest and a Week drying .
IMG_2795.jpeg

IMG_2577.jpeg
IMG_2575.jpeg

It was Crazy to See the buds compress under the vacuum 😱 1/5 of the starting size or smaller..

I had it in a pot for 8 Hours at 45* C

But i couldnt make out a significant Color change..
IMG_2933.jpeg
IMG_2932.jpeg

Next time i use buds with more moisture.. Photoperiod harvest is still Comming.. 🤩

Have a Nice evening 🪬

blondie

It was about time for me to inspect my cobs. Vacuum bagged after 2-3 days drying. Checked after a week or two and resealed. The ka5h look like mold to me, though I’ve yet to open up and get the loupe on it. Good sized white patches.... mold or crystals?

Attachments

• 4BC50E9E-B44C-4866-A664-520FC2B11318.jpeg
    4BC50E9E-B44C-4866-A664-520FC2B11318.jpeg
    777.8 KB · Views: 22
  • F67CD0E1-C935-434A-85C0-623AAD0E28EC.jpeg
    F67CD0E1-C935-434A-85C0-623AAD0E28EC.jpeg
    895.6 KB · Views: 23
  • F3235CB0-1CE2-4E2D-84FA-E20C41D155BB.jpeg
    F3235CB0-1CE2-4E2D-84FA-E20C41D155BB.jpeg
    824.1 KB · Views: 22

Taima-da

Crystals take time to develop.
That is almost certainly mould developing. It is important to open them now and get the dry started, cut off any mould. You should be able to stop any further development of mould by starting to dry them.
Twenty minutes in the sun will really knock back any mould too.
I'd put them in a fresh bag as well

Tangwena

Veteran
Today I checked on some dry flower I cobbed on the 1/2023 made from Colombian Gold x Demon Latcher.
The smell is flowers and pine incense the sought of smell you can just keep smelling all day.
The high chewed is 1st class incredibly euphoric and easy going laid back feeling nothing phases me.
Smoked it would be a very smooth fast hitting high I'm sure.

img_4160-web.jpg
img_4161-web.jpg

Then the same buds but slightly moister at the start this is mind blowing chewed.
A case of a little goes a long way, depending on the dose you can get as high as a kite or blasted into another world of loony tunes I absolutely love this high chewed.
img_4163-web.jpg
img_4164-web.jpg

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Heyhey ☀️

Thx to all for This inspiring Thread!

I tried it yesterday, but i think the weed was to dry😅

Before harvest and a Week drying .
View attachment 19081751
View attachment 19081753 View attachment 19081754
It was Crazy to See the buds compress under the vacuum 😱 1/5 of the starting size or smaller..

I had it in a pot for 8 Hours at 45* C

But i couldnt make out a significant Color change..
View attachment 19081749 View attachment 19081750
Next time i use buds with more moisture.. Photoperiod harvest is still Comming.. 🤩

Have a Nice evening 🪬
Nice looking mini cob man the trained eye can detect the start of the change dont worry they will come out nicely I'm sure from the looks of them.
Play with slightly moister as well as dryer buds you will get something that floats your boat I'm sure

Tangwena

Veteran
Another slow cure question. Or maybe just some thoughts.

Last year out of nostalgia I made some Thai sticks like I did in the early 80's with a bamboo shade from the big box.
The supply started drying up but people were still convinced pot wouldn't grow here. So it had to be imported. 😉
View attachment 19081581
Hadn't made one in 40 years!
I thought it turned pretty good.
It was out of the Moby Dick that didn't quite go long enough but I was hoping would turn in the cure.
View attachment 19081582
Since I was reading this thread but a little too late to try the cob. I made some more sticks up. One from a more modern hybrid Snowcaine by Twenty20.
View attachment 19081588
The two originals I cured in Grove bags but three I vacuum sealed before they were totally dry. Resilient enough to form the stick. 63%?
Originally I used the vacuum to help form them and wouldn't seal them.
However I just left those 3 sealed as an experiment.
They didn't mold but probably didn't have enough moisture to turn. 🤔
If indeed that is one of the pillars that this concept is built around.

I haven't gotten into them yet. But the post by funkyhorse and some others about a "colorful " cure, better look and taste than the black, etc. got me thinking about them again.
Especially the no sweat long cure ideas.

I have read accounts of people who believe the pressing of the sticks, bundling/ wrapping for shipping and the long trip to their destination created a cure/flavor/high that hasnt been repeated.
Something like they found when sherry in oak casks benefited from a long slow journey on the water on a steamship. They started shipping it out and right back to themselves on purpose 🚢. 😉
Something about the sloshing around in the casks.
I chopped a plant this morning so I'm pretty busy. Excited to make my next cob.

I'll try and open these up and report back in a couple days.
With the Thai sticks at least the ones I tried in London years back in 1970 it wasn't so much a cure that made them potent it was the plants they used.
They would have been potent no matter how they were cured I'm sure.

The ones my friends brought back were still quite green but never the less cured enough to smoke easily.
The high was of a grab you by the balls hit you in the face paranoia inducing strength ha ha.
At the time I was fresh from Africa and recognized the quality of the high straight away.

With the cob cure you are trying to bring the changes on at the start and then use the aging to refine the high and taste.
Rather than aging to make the changes. Its the other way round if that makes sense.

You should look for signs of the change. Small beads of sweat during the fermenting stage indicate things are changing and are followed by the changes in color.
The color change needs to be managed once it starts to show, by slow drying and then resealing to cure and finally to age.
If the moisture content is on point this happens over a couple of weeks.
6 hours at 40c should be enough if everything else is right.

Aetheric

A little update for the cob family. I spent all of last week trimming and making cobs like it was my full time job hahaha. I did various levels of dryness, some wrapped some only rolled and some buds packed straight into the vac bag. I did 80-90% of each plant, leaving only a few branches to jar for comparison and press into rosin. This week I get to open a batch every day and smell the cobs/bags after a week ferment. Some truly glorious aromas going on! I particularly enjoy the slightly drier ones where the plants terpy smell stays intact but with the added fermented tang, mouthwatering! I'm so excited to sample them all. So far Bubba's Gift has the most divine enticing pina colada vibe but they all smell uniquely beautiful. Having a blast fusing buds together with this method and haven't even gotten to try the final product yet. Up this week; Panama Red, Bangi Haze, and Tropicana Punch! We had a big frost yesterday so I harvested a little earlier than anticipated, Bangi and Panama just started showing the first amber trichs. I still have one plant outside way behind at like week 5 I'm not sure will even finish hahaha. Do you guys have any preference for how to cob earlier pulled buds? Do you go darker or lighter on the sweat/ferment or just treat the same?
Here's a pic of last friday's batch drying this morning, top to bottom:
3 wrapped Zamaldelica × Kali China (6days dry. 4hr, 3 hr, and 1 hr sweats + canary)
2 Godberry (6days dry. 3hr and 1 hr sweats)
2 Bubba's Gift (6days dry. 3hr and 1 hr sweats)
1 Kush Diesel [vertical right side] (4.5 days dry. No sweat)
20241011_084054.jpg

Wishing everyone that's growing a beautiful bountiful harvest!

haze*ekiel420

Hello everyone☀️

Thanks for the input @Tangwena @Taima-da . I'm really excited to see how the cobs develop. That's why I'm using three smaller ones instead of one big one. If I don't find any mold, I'll open the cobs in a week and finish drying them.

A question occurred to me when I saw how hard the vacuum had compressed the flowers.

Has anyone ever weighed the dose before consumption to see how much the weight differs? I consume 0.1 g in the vaporizer and weigh it regularly so as not to increase the dose too drastically😅

Best wishes 🪬

moose/MI

My cob after a couple of trys in the Instant pot. Doesn't seem to be enough happening yet. No moisture inside when I opened it. It's firmer than it was since it cooled down.
I'm inclined to seal it and run it again maybe 15° warmer in the Instant pot?

But I will defer to the group wisdom.
1000019183.jpg
1000019185.jpg
b3a4877c-2933-4a70-ac9a-3f50b9b24a4b-1_all_39200.jpg
I moved it out into better light.
b3a4877c-2933-4a70-ac9a-3f50b9b24a4b-1_all_39201.jpg
I stuck it with my moisture meter on setting C. Not hardwoods/not pine.
You can push it in farther and get a more accurate reading. It feels great! Obviously has moisture inside.
What cha think? Try the sweat again?
Or it looks fine and ready to mobs to the next stage?

Thanks

Attachments

• b3a4877c-2933-4a70-ac9a-3f50b9b24a4b-1_all_39202.jpg
    b3a4877c-2933-4a70-ac9a-3f50b9b24a4b-1_all_39202.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Tangwena

Veteran
A little update for the cob family. I spent all of last week trimming and making cobs like it was my full time job hahaha. I did various levels of dryness, some wrapped some only rolled and some buds packed straight into the vac bag. I did 80-90% of each plant, leaving only a few branches to jar for comparison and press into rosin. This week I get to open a batch every day and smell the cobs/bags after a week ferment. Some truly glorious aromas going on! I particularly enjoy the slightly drier ones where the plants terpy smell stays intact but with the added fermented tang, mouthwatering! I'm so excited to sample them all. So far Bubba's Gift has the most divine enticing pina colada vibe but they all smell uniquely beautiful. Having a blast fusing buds together with this method and haven't even gotten to try the final product yet. Up this week; Panama Red, Bangi Haze, and Tropicana Punch! We had a big frost yesterday so I harvested a little earlier than anticipated, Bangi and Panama just started showing the first amber trichs. I still have one plant outside way behind at like week 5 I'm not sure will even finish hahaha. Do you guys have any preference for how to cob earlier pulled buds? Do you go darker or lighter on the sweat/ferment or just treat the same?
Here's a pic of last friday's batch drying this morning, top to bottom:
3 wrapped Zamaldelica × Kali China (6days dry. 4hr, 3 hr, and 1 hr sweats + canary)
2 Godberry (6days dry. 3hr and 1 hr sweats)
2 Bubba's Gift (6days dry. 3hr and 1 hr sweats)
1 Kush Diesel [vertical right side] (4.5 days dry. No sweat)
View attachment 19082118

Wishing everyone that's growing a beautiful bountiful harvest!
Some excellent varieties cobbed there my friend. Bangi Haze should be a very interesting cob when you harvest it.
I'm sure all the sativa leaning plants will shine for you.
Panama is mind blowing cobbed one of my all time favorites.

The altered aromas bode well for a nice cure, once aged they will take on a life of their own ha ha.
I need a rest from my favorite South American cobs. I'm starting to loose my grip on reality ha ha But I love it so much its very hard to change to another variety ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
My cob after a couple of trys in the Instant pot. Doesn't seem to be enough happening yet. No moisture inside when I opened it. It's firmer than it was since it cooled down.
I'm inclined to seal it and run it again maybe 15° warmer in the Instant pot?

But I will defer to the group wisdom.
View attachment 19082265 View attachment 19082266 View attachment 19082267 I moved it out into better light. View attachment 19082268 I stuck it with my moisture meter on setting C. Not hardwoods/not pine.
You can push it in farther and get a more accurate reading. It feels great! Obviously has moisture inside.
What cha think? Try the sweat again?
Or it looks fine and ready to mobs to the next stage?

Thanks
No dont cook it any more it looks great to me just vacuum seal it and keep it in a warm place 30c or thereabouts its obviously a little too dry to sweat a lot.

But it will change over the next few weeks/months just slowly and be better for it.
Patience is whats needed on the slower cures.

Latest posts

Latest posts