What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

mike-or-ozzy

Yeah baby! Thats what I feel like as well.
Wake up feeling down or unmotivated chew a little cob and BAM!
The whole day looks beautiful and full of exciting things to do ha ha.

I rearranged my workshop the other day after just going to get some tools ha ha.
Thoroughly enjoyed it as well, had some music playing and just got lost in the moment.
Five and a half hours later I had to be dragged out by my wife coming home.
I could have stayed there another 5 hours easily ha ha.

Yesterday I was watching the local traffic go past me in an industrial area.
Every car and every driver had a story in my mind. It was exhilarating. I was getting the vibe of the economy working around me like being part of the industrial machine.
Something I have missed since I retired ha ha.
I felt energized by everything I saw it lasted a good 10hrs of bliss and I felt like I had had a perfect day ha ha.
Natural drugs for the win brother.

Right on Tangewena, thank you for passing on this knowledge. I feel invinsible and forget my situation but it all worked out. The power of cob is incredible. Thanks for paying the knowledge forward. :geek:

Maria Sanchez

Maybe it's been discussed here before, but it's a big thread, so here goes...

Any discussion on using (and differences between) the leaves used for the cob?
Locally there are plenty of banana, plantain, bamboo, lotus, and a few other types.
[Edit: I mean, you can easily just buy these types of leaves in stores or online, for food prep and stuff.]
Maize/corn leaves not very common at all.
Banana and plantain are long and wide, very flexible.
Bamboo tough but not quite so big.
Lotus are more round so can make a big wrap, also maybe more fragrant.

Are fresh leaves better, or dry?
Dry obviously more brittle, but maybe cleaner and less chance of going bad?

My outdoor plants are getting a good size.
So I'd like to use some / most of the harvest to make cobs, and keep the rest as regular flower.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran

Locally there are plenty of banana, plantain, bamboo, lotus, and a few other types.
[Edit: I mean, you can easily just buy these types of leaves in stores or online, for food prep and stuff.]

So I'd like to use some / most of the harvest to make cobs, and keep the rest as regular flower.
Really traditional is the bark from the banana tree not the leaves.
The bark can be cut into large oblongs good for rolling cobs.
But it needs to be dried first it turns out like cardboard and is super strong.

funkyhorse

Hola Maria
The reason why no discussions on the leaves used is because I dont think anyone is using leaves for fermenting.
With corn what you use is the bark
Same with banana. you use the bark for fermenting
bamboo is different, you just fill your buds fresh inside a fresh bamboo and seal it, open it after 6 motnhs and you get something like this
You need to break the bamboo with something like a machete in order to open this
Out of the 3 methods, this bamboo one gives exactly same results, taste and smell like the local landrace brick
Thai haze Bamboo cure front dry back moist (1).jpeg
Thai haze Bamboo cure front dry back moist (2).jpeg

Those are 20th century methods, there are more methods but none is better than the 21st century cure
You have in your environment plenty of bamboos, bananas, corn and also plenty of this at an unbeatable price
I have nothing to do with the manufacturer, I get no comission. I paid 6 times the price locally, this is why world trade sucks so much, globalization is big bs. I didnt want to buy I thought is expensive but I am finding out it is a lot more expensive not to have this machine, specially for dwellers of cfa koppen environment where you get humidity levels not seen in other environment climates and curing is difficult
In your environment you have plenty of bamboo, lotus amd grape leaves, but plenty of these machines as well, just get one as fast as you can, dont waste one second of your life without curing with this machine

This machine can also vacuum bags and jars if you have the right jar with the proper plug. I use vacuum bags this year for the first time after I tried all these methods
This is The Shit

I showed this cure in the bag to 2 different neighbours
The local landrace is brick weed. We all have brick culture, man in the 20th century we all thought the plants were producing bricks, we never saw bud until we start growing our plants
I will not show it anymore, the reactions were too emotional
They got a cuteness attack, the first reactions was to place the bag next to their cheeks like a pillow, they wanted to go sleep with the bag. They understood immediately what this cure means
N Thai 1 bag, cant wait for the first 3 months to go by and get a chunk of it
Totally dried buds, manicured with patience, seedless and stickless
I cant wait to see what this bag makes
N Thai 1 P1
N Thai 1 bag.jpeg

I am playing with these bags
This is a full intersex plant with low productivity
It will be the first time I will be able to properly test hermies, they are low productivity
Inside this bag I put all foxtails, bracts, bananas and male eggs the plant made, dried it fully, took the sticks out and smashed it into the bag. I am doing the same with every intersex plant. Finally I will know if intersex plants are same potency as their sisters, better or worse. I am really curious about it
N Thai 1 x 3 P2 intersex 1
N Thai 1 x 3 hermie bag.jpeg

I am in love with this machine big time

Maria Sanchez

Really traditional is the bark from the banana tree not the leaves.
The bark can be cut into large oblongs good for rolling cobs.
But it needs to be dried first it turns out like cardboard and is super strong.
Hi @Tangwena --
That's interesting to know, thanks!
Not sure if that gets sold around here.
I could probably find a wild banana palm or two around,
but I am not sure how to cut it, and don't want to mindlessly hack into one.
Any thoughts about the leaves, though? or bamboo? lotus?

Maria Sanchez

Hola Maria
The reason why no discussions on the leaves used is because I dont think anyone is using leaves for fermenting.
With corn what you use is the bark
Same with banana. you use the bark for fermenting
bamboo is different, you just fill your buds fresh inside a fresh bamboo and seal it, open it after 6 motnhs and you get something like this
You need to break the bamboo with something like a machete in order to open this
Out of the 3 methods, this bamboo one gives exactly same results, taste and smell like the local landrace brick
View attachment 19027269 View attachment 19027270

Hola @funkyhorse --

Thanks for responding.
Seeing this picture, reminds me of a traditional way of cooking rice here.
Mix the rice and other ingredients, peanuts, mushrooms, whatever, into the bamboo tube.
Steam the whole tube, and then crack it open.
They get really tight, but the bamboo imparts some flavor on it, too.

This I can definitely try!
Lots of bamboo just everywhere here, some big, some small.
I don't think I'll use the biggest, as a single section/knot would be a liter or two -- too much flower!!
But some smaller bamboo tubes would be perfect.
Wonderful idea!

Those are 20th century methods, there are more methods but none is better than the 21st century cure
You have in your environment plenty of bamboos, bananas, corn and also plenty of this at an unbeatable price
I have nothing to do with the manufacturer, I get no comission. I paid 6 times the price locally, this is why world trade sucks so much, globalization is big bs. I didnt want to buy I thought is expensive but I am finding out it is a lot more expensive not to have this machine, specially for dwellers of cfa koppen environment where you get humidity levels not seen in other environment climates and curing is difficult
In your environment you have plenty of bamboo, lotus amd grape leaves, but plenty of these machines as well, just get one as fast as you can, dont waste one second of your life without curing with this machine

The vacuum pack bags would of course be excellent.
But as a lazy and cheap grower, I don't want to have to buy one of these vacuum packing machines!
I'm in a Cfa Koppen zone, too, drying and curing is a challenge.

This machine can also vacuum bags and jars if you have the right jar with the proper plug. I use vacuum bags this year for the first time after I tried all these methods
This is The Shit

Think I'll do a trial run with something more traditional first.
But thanks for sharing your experience here.

I showed this cure in the bag to 2 different neighbours
The local landrace is brick weed. We all have brick culture, man in the 20th century we all thought the plants were producing bricks, we never saw bud until we start growing our plants
I will not show it anymore, the reactions were too emotional
They got a cuteness attack, the first reactions was to place the bag next to their cheeks like a pillow, they wanted to go sleep with the bag. They understood immediately what this cure means
N Thai 1 bag, cant wait for the first 3 months to go by and get a chunk of it
Totally dried buds, manicured with patience, seedless and stickless
I cant wait to see what this bag makes
N Thai 1 P1
View attachment 19027271

I am playing with these bags
This is a full intersex plant with low productivity
It will be the first time I will be able to properly test hermies, they are low productivity
Inside this bag I put all foxtails, bracts, bananas and male eggs the plant made, dried it fully, took the sticks out and smashed it into the bag. I am doing the same with every intersex plant. Finally I will know if intersex plants are same potency as their sisters, better or worse. I am really curious about it
N Thai 1 x 3 P2 intersex 1
View attachment 19027272

I am in love with this machine big time

Haha, little ganja brick pillow to sleep on.
Like a lavender pillow, but with attitude!

Good idea to compare the sensimilla and the hermi / seeded messy buds side by side.

Maria Sanchez

Impressive, we are answering the same at the same time
🙏

That bamboo cured bud looks incredible I'm going to have to give it a go next cure brother.
Thanks guys for the responses.
You've given me some good advice and ideas.
The bamboo tube cure is high on the list now!
Along with banana/plantain or lotus leaves.

Still months away, though, as my girls aren't even flowering yet...

Rastafarout

Premium user
Just to clarify corn “bark” is the actual corn husks 🌽
Not the stem
I have planted my own corn to get them hard to get them fresh here

But had another go with banana tree bark
Crazy finding a tree in north U.K. when I saw it I just saw cobs material lol
You can take the drier peeling bits off they have the perfect amount of moisture so that it’s still pliable
Too dry it will tear

I had a bigger problem finding tree bark that rips easy and shrinks
Ended up using ivy that I cut in half when it’s wet, still looking for betters although wet leather strips could work …

IMG_0286.png

IMG_0287.png
IMG_0292.png
IMG_0290.png

Rastafarout

Premium user
So I tried this one hybrid style when you use vacuum machine and original method with the banana bark
I figured the ivy vine not going to be tight enough so I vacuumed it first
Then cut it out and put it in the banana sheath
then bined it …with vine

IMG_0284.png

This is 5 months later , you can see the indentations from the leaf to the buds
So the binding also worked and compressed it even more

IMG_0297.jpeg

IMG_0301.jpeg

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Nobody knows what makes the magic. Nor the oral/sublingual availability, nor the longer duration, nor the shift in effects (more sublime).

But it is likely not related to decarboxylation.

There is a "cob vs Jar cured" pair of analyses somewhere in the thread. But they were sort of counter intuitive, at least with regard to decarboxylation. So the results were neither rigorously interpreted nor discussed in the thread., or to my knowledge at least. Maybe look them up and share your thoughts?

But to me, it looked like the cobbing had somehow protected the total THC
from degradation. Because there was a lot more of it it in the cob sample, and it had also undergone a lesser degree of decarboxylation, compared to the jar cured. Who knows how to interpret that?

Otherwise, oral cob is, at least to me, very different from normal edibles (eg infused coconut oil-based). The cob hits in minutes and doesn't have to be swallowed, whereas the normal edible takes 30-60 to kick in.

I don't smoke mine much, so I can't compare well. Burning them feels wasteful. Although I still smoke lots of jar cured.
An excellent reply brother!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
That's true. I am already planning it in my head I will prepare everything. I have a good 4 to 5 weeks to get ready. I will take one cola from every plant and give it a try. I like to experiment, so it's sure to be interesting and enjoyable. And maybe I'll be hooked after.

I also like the part about the medicine men in Africa smoking it before a ceremonial. When I was young, I liked the Voodoo found it very intressting and a bit maccabre Now I can do my own voodoo weed.🤦‍♂️😅
I think most of us start with a relatively small amount, I certainly did.

And i think most of us then wished we'd cobbed the lot! 😂

I certainly did! 😂

For me, after about 30 years so of being self sufficient, it's now a way of life. 😍

Buzzzzd

I tried the vaccum machine but had no luck so I eventually built an adapter for my central vac hose (or any vaccum) down to a 1/4"copper tube. I then use a zip lock baggy. Tuck my cob into the corner (side) and roll the rest of the bag around the cob, then insert the vac tube in the open end, snug to the cob, as the vaccum draws out the air I begin twisting the approx. 2" of bag neck real tight as I withdraw the tube, and then fold the twisted end over your vac packed cylinder and hold in place with tape. Seems to work and you can reuse the bags many times.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
"a cross between Ecstacy and coke is common.
Also the feeling of when acid first starts to work. Its a very different experience to any other drug I have tried and I love it."

Exactly that!

Yesterday, I found a small piece of 2 year old M x M/E and gave it to Mrs DM, maybe 200mg. She was of her face all day and on top of the world. 😍

Thank you so much brother @Tangwena for opening up this wonderful world of cobbing to us 🙏

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
@funkyhorse -- I just checked online how much for those vacuum packing machines.
Here they are the equivalent of maybe USD$10 +, depending on how fancy you want.
Maybe I will just try that.
But the bamboo tube looks so cool!!
You really don't need anything fancy. I think mine was about 20€, which I think equates to around $10.

Cheap and cheerful! 😍 the Hombre way 😂

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Forgot to say the banana bark definitely gives it a perfume aroma on top of the canna smells
Just like they smell in Africa , but the “perfume” is more pronounced there

@Maria Sanchez I’ve tried that too and using a compost pile for my heat source
But I dont wanna clog the thread up
No brother, your not clogging up the thread.
We are all learning from each other all the time.
Please tell us about using your compost pile as your heat source; it's certainly more traditional than my dehydrator😂

If you come on here and tell us that we're all mad, Then, you're clogging up the thread!😉

The regulars in here know I'm mad😂

Are you in the UK? I'm originally from there too, where I was a hydro grower for 20 something years😉

Last edited: