What's new

making pizza dough - oil or no oil?

Cuddles

So I´d like to make some pizza / calzone and a lot of the recipes state that you should add olive oil. Yet others say that the oil is optional.
So my question is: which is better if you´re going for a thin dough, rather than a thick, deep pan like pizza ?

exoticrobotic

I add a little oil to the mix and smear it on top when it rises 😁

Some people say it can interrupt the flour/gluten conversion a bit.

Most important i found for taste is letting the dough slow proof for at least 24 hours. It greatly enhances the depth of flavour and allows some nice slightly sour tastes to develop in the dough.

Also, getting a fork and making littles holes in the rolled out bases stops them from puffing up like pitta breads.

I love thin crust pizza! 🍕

Cuddles

I add a little oil to the mix and smear it on top when it rises 😁

Some people say it can interrupt the flour/gluten conversion a bit.

Most important i found for taste is letting the dough slow proof for at least 24 hours. It greatly enhances the depth of flavour and allows some nice slightly sour tastes to develop in the dough.

Also, getting a fork and making littles holes in the rolled out bases stops them from puffing up like pitta breads.

I love thin crust pizza! 🍕
24 hours- that´s looong but a little acidity could be nice because I don´t use tomatoe sauce

Ca++

No oil. Only on your rack so it doesn't stick.
90 mins rising time should be ample, though the amount of yeast used is a real factor in that.
If you want to wait 24 hours, let it about rise, then fridge it. When it comes out the fridge you can bring it back to room temperature, and let it complete if it still needs to. Don't cook it from cold in any case. Not for thin, which usually means crispy. Though without sauce it will be dry and crispy anyway. Think about high fat toppings or perhaps painting the surface with oil, just so it don't go hard.

Cuddles

No oil. Only on your rack so it doesn't stick.
90 mins rising time should be ample, though the amount of yeast used is a real factor in that.
If you want to wait 24 hours, let it about rise, then fridge it. When it comes out the fridge you can bring it back to room temperature, and let it complete if it still needs to. Don't cook it from cold in any case. Not for thin, which usually means crispy. Though without sauce it will be dry and crispy anyway. Think about high fat toppings or perhaps painting the surface with oil, just so it don't go hard.
I will certainly have a base sauce, just not a tomatoe one as I have developed a bit of an allergy. So I will use an alternative, which I make myself. I got turkey salami and mushrooms :)

Vandenberg

I do use oil in my cracker crisp style thin crust pizza dough that takes three days to allow the flavor chemistry to occur in the fridge.

My secret pizza crust weapon is something called diastatic malt. I know it sounds fancy but all it is is malted whole grain double-row barley (beer supply) ground up in a coffee grinder into a fine powderand is then added at 2% by weight (ideally) into the dough recipe or you can buy specifically labeled for much more dinero.

Diastatic Malt Powder in Pizza-Making
When it comes to baking, it’s essential to consider the underlying chemistry in and out of the oven.
Without a proper balance of sugars and enzymes in your dough, your pizza won’t have enough rise, and the texture, flavor, and appearance could be lacking.
This situation is where diastase comes into the picture.
Master pizza bakers often praise diastatic malt powder as “the secret ingredient” in any good baking recipe.

I own the book "The Pizza Bible" and recommend it as it has many authentic (world regional) pizzeria recipes.
Vandenberg :)

Last edited:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Few places anymore know how to make a truly thin dought/crust pizza. It has to be flipped in the air, a lost art.
From NJ and NJ pizza is thin or was when I grew up there. Have never been able to duplicate it and so that's why there's Fedex

goingrey

do I have to put it in the fridge, or can I leave it on the kitchen counter? My kitchen gets a bit cold-ish at night time anyway.
I have put it in the fridge after some time but people have been doing this since before fridges were invented, it can't be required.

Few places anymore know how to make a truly thin dought/crust pizza. It has to be flipped in the air, a lost art.
From NJ and NJ pizza is thin or was when I grew up there. Have never been able to duplicate it and so that's why there's Fedex
Nah.. It's a cool trick but you don't need to throw it around. I just stretch it. Some skill or luck is needed not to make a hole in the dough but totally works fine, usually. I suppose a rolling pin could also work.

regseeds

So I´d like to make some pizza / calzone and a lot of the recipes state that you should add olive oil. Yet others say that the oil is optional.
So my question is: which is better if you´re going for a thin dough, rather than a thick, deep pan like pizza ?
No oil especially not olive oil, really unhealthy at higher temperatures.

If you have good to great olive oil, drizzle that on after.

Don't cook with olive oil at high heats period.

bleepboop

Diastatic malt! A must for bread, beer and top dresses.

I do add around 20-50ml oil (any cooking oil, not strictly olive) per kg or so of bread/pizza dough. Usually 5% diastatic malt flour.

Cuddles

I do use oil in my cracker crisp style thin crust pizza dough that takes three days to allow the flavor chemistry to occur in the fridge.

My secret pizza crust weapon is something called diastatic malt. I know it sounds fancy but all it is is malted whole grain double-row barley (beer supply) ground up in a coffee grinder into a fine powderand is then added at 2% by weight (ideally) into the dough recipe or you can buy specifically labeled for much more dinero.

Diastatic Malt Powder in Pizza-Making
When it comes to baking, it’s essential to consider the underlying chemistry in and out of the oven.
Without a proper balance of sugars and enzymes in your dough, your pizza won’t have enough rise, and the texture, flavor, and appearance could be lacking.
This situation is where diastase comes into the picture.
Master pizza bakers often praise diastatic malt powder as “the secret ingredient” in any good baking recipe.

I own the book "The Pizza Bible" and recommend it as it has many authentic (world regional) pizzeria recipes.
Vandenberg :)
I did read a website where they suggested brewers yeast.
I don´t need anything fancy though.
My main goal this week is to make lots of small sized calzone and then freeze them :)

goingrey

No oil especially not olive oil, really unhealthy at higher temperatures.

If you have good to great olive oil, drizzle that on after.

Never take advise from anybody, the amount of noobs out there talking out their backside is ridiculous, don't cook with olive oil at high heats period.
It's true that olive oil creates some trans-fats at high temperatures. Delcous, delicous trans-fats. ;)

But not much. In reality the risks have totally been blown out of proportion. Cooking with olive oil is fine. Even deep frying for ridiculously long times...

I'll take your advice and not take your advice. :D

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Oil is a great way to make a nice crust and keep it from drying too fast. A little goes a long way.

Ca++

I will certainly have a base sauce, just not a tomatoe one as I have developed a bit of an allergy. So I will use an alternative, which I make myself. I got turkey salami and mushrooms :)
It's often uncooked seeds that people react to. Making seedless tomato's a possibility, or a pre-cooked

RobFromTX

For a calzone Id say you'll definitely want to add some oil

Latest posts

Latest posts