What's new

Making Canna Salve

goingrey

So yesterday I made some salve from buds that I made hash from and it turned out spotty like this.

s.jpg

First had the buds in coconut oil on the double boiler for some hours. Then I squeezed out the oil from the buds and put it back in the double boiler and added about third of a bar of shea butter and then a small piece of beeswax. Waited until the solids had dissolved, mixing around ever now and then with a knife, then into the jar the coconut oil came in and into the fridge.

I hope it's just uneven distribution of the different oils, not mold or something like that.

Ever had something like this happen @Janborrego?

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
So yesterday I made some salve from buds that I made hash from and it turned out spotty like this.

View attachment 19025724

First had the buds in coconut oil on the double boiler for some hours. Then I squeezed out the oil from the buds and put it back in the double boiler and added about third of a bar of shea butter and then a small piece of beeswax. Waited until the solids had dissolved, mixing around ever now and then with a knife, then into the jar the coconut oil came in and into the fridge.

I hope it's just uneven distribution of the different oils, not mold or something like that.

Ever had something like this happen @Janborrego?
No but I only use new buds. You said you made hash from the buds first. Since coconut oil is a carrier oil it shouldn’t be a mixture thing. I have never used shea butter in my salve. I use canna oil infused from coconut oil. I add vit E oil and black caster oil, and the beeswax also use premium skin grade lemon essential oil. It covers the smell of the weed and leave a fresh citrus scent. These are the salve I made. 2 different batches. The darker one was yellow bees wax. The lighter one is white bees wax. Both are smooth the darker one needed a bit more beeswax. I use triple amount of bees wax as it just needs it. The oilier version works fine but leaves you a bit greasy. The improved version rubs in completely.
image.jpg

goingrey

No but I only use new buds. You said you made hash from the buds first. Since coconut oil is a carrier oil it shouldn’t be a mixture thing. I have never used shea butter in my salve. I use canna oil infused from coconut oil. I add vit E oil and black caster oil, and the beeswax also use premium skin grade lemon essential oil. It covers the smell of the weed and leave a fresh citrus scent. These are the salve I made. 2 different batches. The darker one was yellow bees wax. The lighter one is white bees wax. Both are smooth the darker one needed a bit more beeswax. I use triple amount of bees wax as it just needs it. The oilier version works fine but leaves you a bit greasy. The improved version rubs in completely. View attachment 19025758
Yeah I looked into the caster oil but it was quite expensive even compared to the shea butter so I just went with it again. I have used shea butter twice before and it didn't turn out like this either time. I'm thinking maybe there is water in the mix and I didn't use enough beeswax to emulsify it all. Wonder if mold could really grow so fast, while it cools down.. hope not. Beautiful looking salves btw.

goingrey

This time I didn't add any peppermint oil. Doesn't smell like weed, smells like coconut. But it was sieved weed so.. best bits missing.

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
Yeah I looked into the caster oil but it was quite expensive even compared to the shea butter so I just went with it again. I have used shea butter twice before and it didn't turn out like this either time. I'm thinking maybe there is water in the mix and I didn't use enough beeswax to emulsify it all. Wonder if mold could really grow so fast, while it cools down.. hope not. Beautiful looking salves btw.
You can use Extra virgin olive oil. The original recipe calls for EVOO. I switched to the caster oil because of the anti inflammatory properties. Any skin safe carrier oil can be subbed.

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
I get my supplies on Temu they are cheaper gor the most part the rest I get from Costco and amazon