What's new

Makeing S-2 seed from S-1 seed.

Hindu Killer

Veteran
I was given some S-1 seeds and want to make S2 seed from them. To mass produce them and...see what the results of the inbreeding has on the line. How uniform they are etc. etc. And then use it in crosses of my own!
It is my understanding that they all should be identical...????? And I also read that 99% of them will be female...how ever Im after the 1% male. I was told by another member that they got a S-1 male out of some Ogers Kush...so the possibility exists.. Any suggestions? Ideas or input would be appreciated.
The S-1's are Bubba Kush.

S

Space Ghost

so you have s1's and you want to select a pheno from the progeny? and then self it? I'm a little confused...

Couldnt u just hermie one of the females and work with that pollen.?

Edit: and if its not clones ur working with and i doubt that the strain is so stable that it would only have one type of pheno that would all be identical ur gonna have several phenos.

Last edited:

Hindu Killer

Veteran
Id like to make S2's. If I dont find a male in the seed I germed, then I will have to hope they throw enough nanners to do what I want. Or induce it some how. ANd I may seed all females to keep the gene pool as diverse as possible. Or not...any ideas????

G

Hindu Killer said:
Id like to make S2's. If I dont find a male in the seed I germed, then I will have to hope they throw enough nanners to do what I want. Or induce it some how. ANd I may seed all females to keep the gene pool as diverse as possible. Or not...any ideas????

takin the S1 population and usin a male from that population will create a F2, (if you was to get a male). to create S2s, you need to self the females from the S1 population.

reverse the females, take to resultin pollen and hit the female of your choice(or multiple females)

CBF

G

lemmee explain a bit better........

once youve grown the S1s you have the resultin siblins from the self. if there is a male in there, and you pollinate the females(sisters to the male) you are doin a filial gen, matin brothers and sisters. which would be called F2s.

in order to create a S2, or continued selfed generations, S2, S3 and so on, you have to self each generation. doin that right can take mucho time as you need to first reverse how ever many females you choose, collect the pollen, and then pollinate the chosen females. its pretty much doublein the time to make a cross/generation.

CBF

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Cedarberry said:
lemmee explain a bit better........

once youve grown the S1s you have the resultin siblins from the self. if there is a male in there, and you pollinate the females(sisters to the male) you are doin a filial gen, matin brothers and sisters. which would be called F2s.

in order to create a S2, or continued selfed generations, S2, S3 and so on, you have to self each generation. doin that right can take mucho time as you need to first reverse how ever many females you choose, collect the pollen, and then pollinate the chosen females. its pretty much doublein the time to make a cross/generation.

CBF
yup

I

indicalover

Do any of you guys have a guess at how stable bubbal kush is for doing a project like this? Couldn't some crazy phenos be found if HK takes these out a generation or two?

Berry_Coughin'

Veteran
hhhhmmmm a male from an S1???

Anyone have this happen? Not a herm but a full fledged male?

I have a cache of Double Sour Diesel S1's If I find a male... it's curtains.....

DSDxF-13 mmmmmmmm

also.... H3ad maybe you can speak a little on this.... say I were to force some S1's to give me bananas.... ok, I then self it back, then do the same, and again.... is there going to be any breakdown at some point....??? or in your opinion would the genetics hold together? indefinitely?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
In my opinion such a project would not do a good Idea... Basicly It's just a series of backcrosses using reversed plant pollen...

Imho carefully selected generational incrosses achieve better results than any of the shortcut methods...

G

Berry_Coughin' said:
hhhhmmmm a male from an S1???

Anyone have this happen? Not a herm but a full fledged male?

outta 40 SC S1s, had one male, and was able to continue with filial gens from there.

currently have sourDeez S1s goin, and plan on S2s with um once i see which are the best smokin plants. all backed by cuts. i personally havent seen anyone go past the S1 generation, and wonder myself what will happen so were doin the deed here.

lately ive become very interested in selfed generations as it has been done with food crops. in my diddlin with the SC, i have been unable to get a large percent of plants with the aromas and taste im lookin for. lookin at BX1 plants right now and they look and smell right. as ive went along with the line its been recommended by a few peeps to self the screme cut to bring out the aroma and flavor.

ive been hesitant to do it, but have decided to give it a try. were reversin quite a few different cuts to see how they turn out, and maybe learn somethin. i figure "just do it" and then i will know personally wtf is up.

"crash and burn, the only way to learn"

CBF

Berry_Coughin'

Veteran
Cedarberry.... I just popped some DSD S1's ..... Good motto to live by, I mean unless you're a pilot :D.....

I'll look for any males, and do some work if I get any (or not) with continuing the S1 to future generations... S2 etc....

Peace.....

Hindu Killer

Veteran
Wow ! Thanks for everyone's in-put. Very much appreciated. I like alot of what I've read here and Im certain you guy's know you're buisness. I have some knowledge of MJ Botany and a decent understanding of what is needed to move forward with my plans. Im starting with a rather small selection to start with, 10 seeds. Will have to waite and see what fate has in store for the sex of them. Plan to keep mothers of each plant and work with the cuts of them to preserve the parental material. Probably should do that ...grow each out. Know the outcomes...potencies etc. Then pick my individuals from there. Am thinking it would be nice to have the actual Bubba Kush cut these seeds came from for back crossing....any thoughts on this?????

G

Berry_Coughin' said:
..... Good motto to live by, I mean unless you're a pilot :D.....

yeah, but ya have to get in the air the first time, and touch er down as well, wonder what percent of first flight pilots dont land to smooth, lol

I'll look for any males, and do some work if I get any (or not) with continuing the S1 to future generations... S2 etc....

Peace.....

thats it, give er a go and see what happens. talkin with others first time selfs dont usually yield alot of pollen, which rang true here. i used stressed pollen, where others have been usin STS and other chemical mixes.

a good friend of mine has been usin collidal silver, which peeps use as a medicine, hell ya can drink it, bathe in it, and he gets loads of pollen. were STS is freakin poisen. and if your like me, i dont like to use any chemicals if i dont have to. have used no pest strips.

if your worried about chems in your bud, seems you would be worried about poisen in your seed. i know i am, no proof of this of course, but seems the STS shit could somehow get to you. residual effects and such. theres no real scientific study and the use of STS in MJ, is there?

look what happened when farmers were feedin cattle animal manure, and the FDA said it was good to go.........mad cows, lol. i dunno, just dont sit right with me. id rather use light poisenin/moisture stress then any chemical.

CBF

Hindu Killer

Veteran
SO I dont want to seed the plants from pollen from them selves? But force a sex change on other cuts then use the pollen on the unstressed cuts??

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Wouldnt it be easier just to call them selfed instead of s1, s2 etc because nothing should change no matter how many times you make them hermie and pollinate other healthy plants, it should always be kind of a copy of the original mom right? Talking bout filial generations you should notice differences.

Latest posts

Latest posts