What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Looks like food inflation has really reared it's ugly head

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Canned veggies! Meat!

Those nice cheap USDA choice steaks that us American beefeaters were enjoying when the restaurants were closed have disappeared. Prices this evening on Ribeyes, boneless, over $14/lb. The bones were $5/lb. Daymn!!

Chicken leg quarters are sky high too.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
These guys don't care about the price of anything but their bubble stawks. Isn't it nice of central banks to print money so it can be deployed where it will do the most good?

Notice how these guys net worth has never been higher, except buffy. He owned airlines...

Gates, what a nice guy.

bfmB5E7.jpg

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Canned veggies! Meat!

Those nice cheap USDA choice steaks that us American beefeaters were enjoying when the restaurants were closed have disappeared. Prices this evening on Ribeyes, boneless, over $14/lb. The bones were $5/lb. Daymn!!

Chicken leg quarters are sky high too.
I grew up listening to my parents talk about the great depression. It wasn't pretty and food was scarce.

It could get better, or really really bad. And lately it looks like things only go from bad to worse with no end in sight. If the second wave is as bad as it was for the Spanish Flu, there will be nashing of teeth.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I grew up listening to my parents talk about the great depression. It wasn't pretty and food was scarce.

It could get better, or really really bad. And lately it looks like things only go from bad to worse with no end in sight. If the second wave is as bad as it was for the Spanish Flu, there will be nashing of teeth.
Adjust for inflation, and the numbers say Americans are more poor than during the great depression. The readily available supplies of worthlessly cheap goods makes it seem 'better' than the depression.

We're beginning to see the first big bites (back) from people cashing all those checks during covid. All the printed zeros have to go somewhere... ;)

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
we buy our beef from a local rancher , usually a whole cow , sometimes 1/2 side

overall average price is less than $5 a pound

free range farm eggs are $3 a doz

we are shopping around for some
pork now , just have to find a rancher who is selling

but yeah , living in the country and buying in bulk saves us a lot of grocery money

Genghis Kush.

Adjust for inflation, and the numbers say Americans are more poor than during the great depression. The readily available supplies of worthlessly cheap goods makes it seem 'better' than the depression.

We're beginning to see the first big bites (back) from people cashing all those checks during covid. All the printed zeros have to go somewhere... ;)
" New York Times reporter Jeanna Smialek dug into the stats and found one major problem: solid, reliable government data doesn’t really exist before 1940. So a lot of the numbers being used in these “silent depression” videos are from dubious sources.

“Back then, you didn’t have Social Security, you didn’t have welfare, you didn’t have food stamps, you didn’t have all those safety nets that we have now,” he said. “Let’s say the average young person has an iPhone, they’re going to Starbucks and having a latte – or whatever the heck they’re having – they’re leasing a car, they have a pretty good lifestyle.”

“I could understand why young people are looking around and saying, ‘Oh my gosh, this is terrible. This is awful.’ And, you know, for young people, they don’t really know what happened with the Great Depression. People jumped out of their windows. Banks closed down, people couldn’t get their money out of the banks. You had the ‘Grapes of Wrath’ kind of thing where you had to go in your jalopy across the whole country. So I think they left that part out.”

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Rather interesting... As always, there's more to it than regularly presented, and at the same time a similar financial crash is very likely.

I do doubt the income of the average young person in America can afford both an IPhone and a car lease. ;)

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
we buy our beef from a local rancher , usually a whole cow , sometimes 1/2 side

overall average price is less than $5 a pound

free range farm eggs are $3 a doz

we are shopping around for some
pork now , just have to find a rancher who is selling

but yeah , living in the country and buying in bulk saves us a lot of grocery money
most people, especially younger folks dont have that lux of being able to buy half side( ~500# ) of meat at a time or even know where to get it
/when im in tx we know a rancher and will buy meat wholesale like you mentioned, even request a certain part of the animal
but grocery prices are out of control man

What does that have to do with food prices? LOL
look on the bright side, mcdonalds has brought back the $5 mini-meal...
its the price of food, even fast food/ take out and restaurants prices has all gone up in price
/i will give you a hint to why: the cost of food

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts