What's new

Looking for guerillas with leaf spot diease experience.

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
something i was wondering

i got hammered with leaf spot, but managed it by plucking leaves off during the season, didnt spray anything. the 3 days before harvest were solid rain and turned the remaining affected leaves to mush, when i came back the plants had not molded but were covered in mush and i threw them away, iv been wondering could i have just washed them off, anyone tried?

BadGrower

cal def? or canker?

cal def? or canker?

Does this look anything like what you were dealing with? After moving plants outside, couple days later im hit with this...

the last two have really been stumping me. any insight would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• WP_20161010_007[1].jpg
    WP_20161010_007[1].jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 96
  • WP_20161010_002[1].jpg
    WP_20161010_002[1].jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 91
  • WP_20161010_008[1].jpg
    WP_20161010_008[1].jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 93
  • WP_20161010_004[1].jpg
    WP_20161010_004[1].jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 94
  • WP_20161009_002[1].jpg
    WP_20161009_002[1].jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 87

drobdude

thanks kygiacomo btw....we got eagle 20 off amazon and it works great....used last season, its not a cure but it is a great preventative, lost nothing when we used it

neongreen

Veteran
Does anyone know if seeds from an infected plant are OK to use? Perhaps a soak in H2O2 solution prior to germination would suffice?

picture.php

They seem to be healthy although some (probably from infected caylixes) appear to have a dusting of "rust" (spores I guess?).

neongreen

Veteran
I also want to add: Thanks to all who have made this thread what it is. Perhaps my experience with LS might also contribute some clues that can help fight it.

I have a 3 main plots which I grew at this year, all within a few hundred yards of each other, and I grew a few strains as well as clones.

Only one plot was totally LS free, and it was the most open (although backed by shrubs/trees on the N side). It was also on what was previously grass land, well drained, and within 30-40 feet of the nearest willow tree. I only grew one strain there, Maroc Inspiration (Bluehemp), which finishes by the end of Sept. here @ 52N and was grown in the ground.

I also had two Taskenti clones (CBG) in small pots near by (15 yds) and in an even more open position than the Marocs, but they both got it bad and had to be harvested early.

At the other two plots I had Nepali (Bluehemp) and my own Blowfish F2 cut, but one plot is quite protected and the plants were in the ground, where as at the other plot most plants were in containers, and it's a bit more open although surrounded by scrub.

The plot where they were all in the ground was hit least bad despite it being more sheltered (less airflow), though both Nepali and the BF showed some damage. I suspect this may be because I amended with neem seed meal the previous year.

The plot where most were in containers was hit hardest (all plants got it - Task, BF, Nepali, and autos), but worst hit was the BF clone in the ground. No neem was used here, but the foliage was very lush and green (though not that much more than the BF at the other plot) which I have heard might make it more vulnerable to fungal attack.

At the same time, the other plants around it (mostly BF clones) which were in large tubs (no neem) were for the most part not hit as bad, although in one case it was a bit worse. One BF in a tub was seeded and to try and save the seeds (see my previous post) at least I moved it indoors to my cab which is very dry (30-40% RH), which seemed to halt the progress of the LS completely, and I think allowed the seeds to mature properly which I doubt they would have done if I'd left them outside.

So it seems that the neem may help, and possibly willow/aspirin or the Maroc may just be immune. The Maroc plot was likely neemed too, although I can't remember for sure. Either way, I'll be amending with neem from now on as well as using some of the other helpful suggestions in this thread.

:tiphat:

abados

I have in the last few years been plagued by leaf blight .I have tried Potassium bicarbonate with very limited success .I want to stay organic but it seems I may have to try synthetic fungicides .So I have researched my main options and this is what I came up with ..Daconil...Actinovate ...Immunox....Mancozeb....Copper spray .TEBUCONAZOLE ,TRIFLOXYSTROBIN..myclobutanil.....serenade ..these are in no particular order and I have not tried them yet ,down here in Aus i'm going into autumn .But we intend to do winter crop testing on as many of these as we can ,some are toxic but we are desperate ..Here is a tomato growers thoughts on the matter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1az2aUKoyM I apologise for the scrappy presentation ,hopefully in my further posts I will have more time to arrange my wording .Any more input would be great to hear [read]

My only advice would be to burn that area and the area around it if possible. I know for a lot of people this is not an option, but I've been hit hard and it's the best advice I've gotten. I still spray every couple weeks during veg with something called Copper Count - N.
Great post to read through.

I also want to add: Thanks to all who have made this thread what it is. Perhaps my experience with LS might also contribute some clues that can help fight it.

I have a 3 main plots which I grew at this year, all within a few hundred yards of each other, and I grew a few strains as well as clones.

Only one plot was totally LS free, and it was the most open (although backed by shrubs/trees on the N side). It was also on what was previously grass land, well drained, and within 30-40 feet of the nearest willow tree. I only grew one strain there, Maroc Inspiration (Bluehemp), which finishes by the end of Sept. here @ 52N and was grown in the ground.

I also had two Taskenti clones (CBG) in small pots near by (15 yds) and in an even more open position than the Marocs, but they both got it bad and had to be harvested early.

At the other two plots I had Nepali (Bluehemp) and my own Blowfish F2 cut, but one plot is quite protected and the plants were in the ground, where as at the other plot most plants were in containers, and it's a bit more open although surrounded by scrub.

The plot where they were all in the ground was hit least bad despite it being more sheltered (less airflow), though both Nepali and the BF showed some damage. I suspect this may be because I amended with neem seed meal the previous year.

The plot where most were in containers was hit hardest (all plants got it - Task, BF, Nepali, and autos), but worst hit was the BF clone in the ground. No neem was used here, but the foliage was very lush and green (though not that much more than the BF at the other plot) which I have heard might make it more vulnerable to fungal attack.

At the same time, the other plants around it (mostly BF clones) which were in large tubs (no neem) were for the most part not hit as bad, although in one case it was a bit worse. One BF in a tub was seeded and to try and save the seeds (see my previous post) at least I moved it indoors to my cab which is very dry (30-40% RH), which seemed to halt the progress of the LS completely, and I think allowed the seeds to mature properly which I doubt they would have done if I'd left them outside.

So it seems that the neem may help, and possibly willow/aspirin or the Maroc may just be immune. The Maroc plot was likely neemed too, although I can't remember for sure. Either way, I'll be amending with neem from now on as well as using some of the other helpful suggestions in this thread.

:tiphat:

I have had this many years ago when growing guerilla in the backwoods of Florida. I was never able to fight it off, but I didn't really try.

It is interesting that the proximity to willow trees has an effect. It surely must be the build up of acetylsalicylic acid(aspirin) in the soil that is strengthening the immune system of the plants nearest to the willows. I'm a firm believer in using aspirin in the garden, and believe it could be a step in helping plants subjected to this disease shake it off, or hold it at bay until harvest.

Best of luck.
Peace

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
bump

what are folks spraying these days, wondering about products containing azoxystrobin. Anyone tried Copper Sulphate/Bordeaux mix on pre flower plants?

bonghopper

Just finished reading the thread, got hit hard by septoria this year and last. 50% last year, this year I'll be lucky with 10. Was convinced it was a late stage phosphorus deficiency until too late. This shit definitely hangs about in the soil. And is way worse in wetter soils. Some strains are totally dead already.

And holy fuck, I was hoping for a long list of northern resistant strains by the end of the thread....

There's plenty of really resistant tomato and potato varieties out there now.

Someone mentioned World of seeds wild thaland, I have those in various crosses that were my most resistant this year.

There's bound to be a genepool somewhere that's totally immune to this.... the never ending search for suitable northern genetics :)

40degsouth

Hi everyone, l hope you’re plants are all well.
One plant I’ve found that is 100% resistant to the particular leaf spot disease l get at my location is Jesse Dodd’s Black Dog, marketed under Humboldt Seed Organisation (HSO) They’ve never let me down.
Cheers,

therevverend

Veteran
Does anyone know if seeds from an infected plant are OK to use? Perhaps a soak in H2O2 solution prior to germination would suffice?

This is an old thread so it's not helpful to the original poster but I looked up the answer anyway. There's controversy over this and the best answer I can come up with is that Yellow Leaf Spot, the organism is called Septoria, does not contaminate the seeds. You're good to go the next year. You still want to destroy the infected vegetation or plow it deep under the soil.

There are other organisms that cause similar leaf damage that can be transmitted through seed so you want to be sure it's Septoria. As far as the controversy I mentioned earlier, some researchers did find Septoria passed through seeds but the consensus is that they fucked up. Probably because they misidentified the infection.

yahooman

Got it again this year though not as bad
Copper sulphate spray helped a lot,but u have to spray after every rain and I won't spray in bud so I'm taking a shit ton of leaves off a day
The worst plant this year is in the exact spot as the worst last year...I even sprayed the ground and the pots and clones before planting still have it
I agree with torching the area...I'll do that next spring