What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Looking for a PPFD meter

Rakkasan

PhotoBio is around $150. I compared it for over a week next to an apogee mq500 and it's close enough to the apogee, for what we do.

Vondetour

The Photone app works well. It tends to read 10%-15% under actual compared to my apogee meter But it’s cheap and it works fairly well. I have been coaching 2 new growers. Both initially would not buy a meter or photone. Light is light they said. After either burning up their plants or having them out stretch their tent they both finally got the app and started managing their light level with much improvement in their plants.

Well I will start a second grow this September, electricity is cheaper in winter. OG kush and grand daddy purple photo, I keep notes from my first grow so I won't make the same mistakes again but having experts like you helping Im sure my next grow will provide a better yield. I failed to listen with the northern lights auto and did manage to get 80 grams but it's a bit weak so my plan is to record the grow like my last and do video. Now I have two ViparSpectra P1000 100W LED Grow Lights and wondering if there good for two maybe three plants or if I should look for better lights especially for the flowering stage.

strain_hunter

Go with the app Photone for now.
Unless you’ve maxed out all your other equipment, which I doubt as you said you were new.

It’s surprisingly close, but more so consistent in readings.
For your purposes consistency in measuring and being close to the real reading is what’s important.

You can get a little 25$ clip on attachment so you don’t have to mess with the paper diffuser.
I am happy with the photone app and wouldn’t buy something else.
You use it only several times and then you know exactly, how much light and distance you need.

Vondetour

I am happy with the photone app and wouldn’t buy something else.
You use it only several times and then you know exactly, how much light and distance you need.
Good point, I keep notes on my grow and I could look back on them and I do have the app but saw on YT I should use a phone diffuser.

synapse57

I have a VABIRA UV/Far Red light meter, and a PAR meter. that little blue one pictured above.

PPFD Meter and Photone work pretty well too. Just gotta be able to measure & compare with the same tool. PPFD Meter is a free app.

I like being able to see my lights outside of the par range, as I have some UVB's, UVA's, and Reds/IR's.

CO2 meter has been really useful too. I never would've figured out what was wrong when it was around 200ppm co2. now it's riding around 600-700. that's one under-valued device.

Vondetour

I have a VABIRA UV/Far Red light meter, and a PAR meter. that little blue one pictured above.

PPFD Meter and Photone work pretty well too. Just gotta be able to measure & compare with the same tool. PPFD Meter is a free app.

I like being able to see my lights outside of the par range, as I have some UVB's, UVA's, and Reds/IR's.

CO2 meter has been really useful too. I never would've figured out what was wrong when it was around 200ppm co2. now it's riding around 600-700. that's one under-valued device.
With help from ll of you here I will have a great setup and the one thing I wish I had was more room.

Latest posts

Latest posts