What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Living Soil EU

Hey there,
I´m planning on growing in living soil following Clackmas Coot recipe or Build a soil recipe. Keep in mind that I´m in the EU and ordering from US is out of the question for me. Grown in Hydro, Coco and Soil previously, but want to move to a more sustainable growing model thats fully organic. Looked at buying premade kits but feel that they are waay too expensive compared to buying all ingredients and making it yourself. Will be making around 1296L of soil for two Cali beds a 648L, one for mothers and one for flowering. Perpetual garden for the win!
So my question to you is, does my recipe look alright for a first time living soil grower or is there something I´m missing like crustean meal, terra preta, ash, fish meal, guano, worms and so fourth? If so how do I incorporate those to the coot recipe and know how much to have of each instead of X ingredient? Build a soil receipe requires crustean meal, which I´m having a hard time finding in EU. Asking you experienced growers for your tips and tricks. And if you know better sources for the stuff I've sourced please do share! (These sources are what I've been able to find with my extensive googling for a private person to buy)

My recipe so far (If there's something I´m ordering to little of or too much of, please do let me know!)
RecipeTo be orderedQuantity I need for 1296L Soil
Blonde Sphagnum Peat Moss500L432L
Pumice 7-14mm450L432L
VermiCompost450L432L
Oyster Shell25kg10,8281L
Kelp Meal25kg10,8281L
ProNeem10kg10,8281L
Gypsum25kg5,414L
Basalt20kg32,48L
Cover Crop200gUnknown

What I've done is basically to convert the Clackmas Coot Receipe as follows:
1296L / 3 = 432 L we'll need for each part of the base soil
1 cubic foot in Litres converts to: 28,3168 L
1296L/28,3168L= 45,76 cups/2=22,88 cups in total for whole soil
1 cup = 0,236588L x 45,76 = 10,8281L /2= 5,414L
3 cups = 0,709765L x 45,76788 cups = 32,48L

Thanks to ya'll in the forum, been an avid lurker for years but haven't hoined until now! If you spot any mistakes or so in my calculations please do let me know :)

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
I won't skip the crustacea in the mix. The chitine is good for the soil to make it a less hospitable place for pests and adds also n and p and trace minerals to the mix. Carp supplies have a good selection of them, i use 50% gammarus dust and 50% krill to keep possible heavy metals low.

Imo too less basalt in the mix. The ration i use is 1 part gypsum, 1 part oystershell and 2 parts basalt/rockflour. And i use more compared to the organics like kelp, neem or crustacea. Per 30l i use 1/2 cup organics, 1 cup high ca(gypsum, oystershell), 2 cups basalt and 2 cups malt.

I'd also use ~10% pre charged biochar in the mix, that helps imo with using the mix longer and stabilises the soil.