What's new

Let's grow some Grandoggy Jones kids!

Veritas629

I’ve been lurking around ICMAG for a while and it’s time for me to start contributing with a grow log.
  • Location: Indoor 4x4x6’ (1.2*1.2*1.8m) tent, in my basement near Hobart, Tasmania.
  • Wilma/Origin system with 4x 18L pots, coco coir with chunks 50/50.
  • HLG 550R led lamp
  • AC Infinity circulation fan, exhaust fan, humidifier, and controller.
  • A couple greenhouse heat bars on an Inkbird controller, because its winter here.
  • Mills nutrients and a few other additives that I’ll mention as I go.
And the star of the show, my first go at a pack of Connoisseur Genetics seeds. I bought a handful of different strains straight from OJD last year. We’re working with a 5-pack of Grandoggy Jones (Fem) and I’m pretty excited to try the results. Living in Prohibition Land, I haven’t had a chance to try much purple. Purple sounds tasty and is reputed to help with inflammation related pain, which is a selling point for me.

I wet 5x seeds a few days ago. I put mine straight into moist peat plugs and skip the paper towel tech these days. I have 4x pots, but I sprout 5x seeds when possible and use that extra if something goes wrong. These seeds not only popped up in 48hrs, but they all emerged at the same time and look very uniform. I reckon this is a good thing and suggests that we have strong seeds. A good start!

After a few days in the sprouting chamber, they were transplanted into the 18L pots with a sprinkle of Great White beneficials. One pot has two seedlings, until I need the extra or need to cull a seedling. Right now, the reservoir has just tap water and some Cal-Mag I used to buffer the coco. Our local water has next to nothing in it (EC < 0.1), so Cal-Mag is necessary in coco. They are getting a 15min fertigation per day now and I’ll ramp up to 4x 15mins per day as the plants mature. Lights are on 18/6 and about 150 PPFD at the moment. RH is only 55-60%, but we’ll get it up a bit.

20240715_174706.jpg

20240717_175932.jpg

Porky82

I’ve been lurking around ICMAG for a while and it’s time for me to start contributing with a grow log.
  • Location: Indoor 4x4x6’ (1.2*1.2*1.8m) tent, in my basement near Hobart, Tasmania.
  • Wilma/Origin system with 4x 18L pots, coco coir with chunks 50/50.
  • HLG 550R led lamp
  • AC Infinity circulation fan, exhaust fan, humidifier, and controller.
  • A couple greenhouse heat bars on an Inkbird controller, because its winter here.
  • Mills nutrients and a few other additives that I’ll mention as I go.
And the star of the show, my first go at a pack of Connoisseur Genetics seeds. I bought a handful of different strains straight from OJD last year. We’re working with a 5-pack of Grandoggy Jones (Fem) and I’m pretty excited to try the results. Living in Prohibition Land, I haven’t had a chance to try much purple. Purple sounds tasty and is reputed to help with inflammation related pain, which is a selling point for me.

I wet 5x seeds a few days ago. I put mine straight into moist peat plugs and skip the paper towel tech these days. I have 4x pots, but I sprout 5x seeds when possible and use that extra if something goes wrong. These seeds not only popped up in 48hrs, but they all emerged at the same time and look very uniform. I reckon this is a good thing and suggests that we have strong seeds. A good start!

After a few days in the sprouting chamber, they were transplanted into the 18L pots with a sprinkle of Great White beneficials. One pot has two seedlings, until I need the extra or need to cull a seedling. Right now, the reservoir has just tap water and some Cal-Mag I used to buffer the coco. Our local water has next to nothing in it (EC < 0.1), so Cal-Mag is necessary in coco. They are getting a 15min fertigation per day now and I’ll ramp up to 4x 15mins per day as the plants mature. Lights are on 18/6 and about 150 PPFD at the moment. RH is only 55-60%, but we’ll get it up a bit.

View attachment 19034350

View attachment 19034351
I'll follow along mate. Good to see ya here mate!

Porky82

Hey Porky, I'll be posting this grow on TSE also, so the regulars can play along too. Connoisseur Genetics has a pretty awesome collection strains and I'm a little surprised we don't see them more on TSE.
Yeah HGO has run a fair bit of his stuff a while back. He's into breeding sativas now.
TSE dosent have much other than people growing Oldfoxs Ethos crosses.

Veritas629

Last night, I started adding some nutrients to the reservoir and brought the EC to about 0.9. The uniformity of the seedlings is impressive and I look forward to seeing if that holds true as they grow up. With only 1.8m/6' headroom to work with and a couple SCROG nets, uniformity really helps maximize the yield in my modest space.

Veritas629

I've got the mutes up to about 1.4 EC now. Not too much to report yet. Because they all popped up at the same time and are growing uniformly, I won't need the 5th seedling and she'll need to be culled. Eeny, meeny, miny, moe ...

20240722_170335.jpg

Veritas629

I spent some time giving them a real good look over last night. Ate a homemade Special Brownie and pulled up a stool to just commune with my plants. Look at them, feel the leaves, talk to them a little, and generally treat them like little green family members!

I've commented a few times that the plants were very uniform. They are all slight different heights now, which is to be expected. These are from seed, not clones! But nonetheless, we do have one lady that is starting to differentiate herself from her three sisters. In the tent image above, she is the lower left plant. I was having so much fun, I forgot to take fresh pics. I'll do that over the weekend.

The difference lies in the shape and colour of the fan leaves. The three similar plants have leaves that are broader, shorter, and deeper green. The 4th plant has leaves that are a bit longer and more narrow relative to the other plants. These leaves are definitely still broad-leaf and very indica-like. They are still broader than many indica leaning plants I've grown before.

Also, the unique plant seems to have a slightly different appetite for nutes. The three plants are all a pleasant medium green. The unique plant is developing a little yellow between the greener veins. I think she might need a little more magnesium and I will add some Epsom salt to the reservoir.

A photo update showing the differences will come soon ...

Veritas629

I took a few pics of the different phenotypes, but I'm not sure the difference is as noticeable as it is in-person. My lack of photography skills are responsible here. #1 is the unique plant with more narrow leaves, #2-4 are broader leaved. I've only show #1 and #2 here. However, what you can also see is that #1 is yellower and I think she might be Magnesium hungry. Last evening I added some Epsom at 0.25 tsp per litre to the reservoir. These pics are a few days old now, but I've topped and trained the plants some. I'll add more pics as the training continues.

1723770118314.png

Porky82

I took a few pics of the different phenotypes, but I'm not sure the difference is as noticeable as it is in-person. My lack of photography skills are responsible here. #1 is the unique plant with more narrow leaves, #2-4 are broader leaved. I've only show #1 and #2 here. However, what you can also see is that #1 is yellower and I think she might be Magnesium hungry. Last evening I added some Epsom at 0.25 tsp per litre to the reservoir. These pics are a few days old now, but I've topped and trained the plants some. I'll add more pics as the training continues.

View attachment 19048959
They look good mate. Is ya pH a bit low maybe? Could be affecting ya mag uptake.

Porky82

I did consider the pH, but I let it float between 5.7-6.3. I think this is generally considered a good range for coco hydro? I just received a new Bluelab monitor that will help me keep an eye on pH.
Yeah I do the same with me perlite. I find when they little I get a zinc deficiency if I don't go down to 5.7 pH for at least 2 to 3 waters.
Anything over 6 pH is good for mag absorbing.