What's new

LED and humidity Vs HPS

Rhizoma

Hi all
I am considering moving to LED as I am struggling a lot with heat ( winter with a 250w HPS).
My main concern now is that I read that LED won't drop humidity down with light on as HPS does and consequently I will need a dehumidifier running 24/7durijg flowering.
Is this true?
It will be problematic having to add lot of watt on top of the LED to having dehumidifier light off and on.

Any clarification or advise much appreciated

Thanks
R

mr.brunch

Veteran
As long as you have enough airflow (extractor/circulating fan / inlet vent) there should be no problem … leds still put out heat, just not as intense as the old Heat Production System.
Is it a limited space grow as 250w HPS shouldn’t be a problem with good airflow?

trixP

Hi all
I am considering moving to LED as I am struggling a lot with heat ( winter with a 250w HPS).
My main concern now is that I read that LED won't drop humidity down with light on as HPS does and consequently I will need a dehumidifier running 24/7durijg flowering.
Is this true?
It will be problematic having to add lot of watt on top of the LED to having dehumidifier light off and on.

Thanks
R
Not true

Exhaust will run stronger constant and humidifier with add once you drop below your settings

trixP

The drivers put out the heat specially when they’re sitting on the bars they heat even more; been thinking of buying the driver extensions for my light and put it outside the tent

Rhizoma

The drivers put out the heat specially when they’re sitting on the bars they heat even more; been thinking of buying the driver extensions for my light and put it outside the tent
Yes LED with removable ballast....ionframe EVO3.

Sorry I didn't fully catch your previous message...do you believe also LED will drop down humidity during light on?

I have serious issues with HPS. if temeperatur outside are above 12 I need to leave partially the tent open for passive intake and during light off I have very huge problems with light pollution.

trixP

Absolutely not

Granted I have a full ACi set up with the humidifiers so humidity is never my issue

Granted if you have the small T3 for veg it’s gona drink water everyday and run 24/7 level 8-10 get the bigger T7 itl run 3-4-5 in veg 70rh zero issues

And In flower i it won’t be on much

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
I have an hps been using since I had enough money to buy my first one, I've also run led not one of those name brand setups but led lighting. I'm also watching over someone using a sp1000 or whatever style light as they learn to grow. So I've got a little bit of knowledge.

Hps as you know is extra hot af in the 1 to 2 feet from bulb range and needs good cooling. Humidity in my tent has always been about the same as the room maybe a little higher if running hydro or watering often. In my area usually about 35-40% rh. When you have bad airflow or live in a humid area it's gonna be harder to keep cool if you use carbon filters.

LED on the other hand doesn't get that hot and with a little bit of air flow is easy to keep cool, but since it's not as hot you have lot more humidity. Without good air flow you might have problems.

If using led you will need to make it windy or make it hotter. And at night I recommend running fan 24.7 it will be wet when lights go off depending on how many plants.

In the hps plants were playing catch up to the heat and on the dry side. Under led they stay wet longer even in coco cuz new battle is making is warm enough in tent but also keeping air going.

trixP

LED will play 8/10F depending the amount of bars

My veg light is 4 bars vs my flowering light is 10bars same manufacturer

Trust me 2 different worlds in heat
Hell today it was 12-14 and my shit has been 76-78 all day exhausting level 8 on 10

If this continues I’m gona have to turn on the AC in February

trixP

It’s winter I’m in a cold climate today it was 12-14 c believe me pulling air i noticed a big diff in temps in my set up normally I’m 75 I was 77-78 all day osc fans 10 and the exhaust 8 trying to cool as much as I can

It’s feb and I’m thinking of running the aor conditioning lol

acespicoli

1709079949502.png

set your exhaust fan to be triggered by humidity as well as temp for best grow environment
leds do run cooler but if you have insufficent exhaust cfm
with temperatures in the range of 59-71°F and humidity at or near 40% ideal
temp 60-80 but above 40% humidity causes all kinds of algae and molds
1709080375770.png

1709080489799.png

>Best>>>ibes :huggg:

Last edited:

Ca++

A 250 isn't the most efficient of sodium lamps. Maybe 1.3umol/w which is easily achieved with LED. In fact, an upper mid-range LED fixture is going to double that, with 2.6umol/w. Meaning 125w will produce the same amount of light. With a little bit of magic, a 100w light might actually replace a 250

That is a real heat reduction, and with less heat, you may well use less water anyway. Certainly the most minimal of hobby extract kits will be too big for such a small grow, and so no excess RH should ever be happening. Something would have to be wrong.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
LED will play 8/10F depending the amount of bars

My veg light is 4 bars vs my flowering light is 10bars same manufacturer

Trust me 2 different worlds in heat
Hell today it was 12-14 and my shit has been 76-78 all day exhausting level 8 on 10

If this continues I’m gona have to turn on the AC in February
Where are you measuring? The temps. if it's floor temps that's kinda low for what plants like for most vigorous growth. Like 75to 85 is optimal in the area where the plants live. Cold roots slow growth and too much heat at the canopy causes you to lose your terpenes and get harsh stemmy buds. You're talking temps not humidity right?

Turbo5

78 is good. The leaf surface temperature is probably 75. If you’re new I understand, you read it MUST be grow at x temperature. How do the plants look?

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Hi all
Is this true?

Thanks
R
Led and hps produce the same heat w is w...most of the times hps is replaced by 30% lower wattage of Leds.
Leds dont produce IR that react with water and drys the air.
With leds you need to run dehumidifier.
If outside is 12C dont use air cooling of your setup with leds.
Its only good for air cooling setups in hot and dry places.

Thats my advice

trixP

Where are you measuring? The temps. if it's floor temps that's kinda low for what plants like for most vigorous growth. Like 75to 85 is optimal in the area where the plants live. Cold roots slow growth and too much heat at the canopy causes you to lose your terpenes and get harsh stemmy buds. You're talking temps not humidity right?
Canopy at lower plant 12/16” from the light

It’s just really hot out it should be negative 20 these months

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
I've grown year round indoor for over 20 years in the winters past I get small buds and really short plants that turn purple easy and grow real slow. In the summer I get stretchy tall plants with loose long buds nice trichomes like your never seen but the smell all evaporates by the time you get to the jar. Your house smells really loud doe 🤣. In the spring and fall was when I would have the nice buds that smell good and frost up.

In short through decades of trial and error I find the plants mostly like it in the mid 80s with humidity about 40 to 60%higher in veg and lower in flower.
20240228_084710.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts