What's new

LED and BUD QUALITY

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, the old quantum board Diablos uses a small footprint. It's why they went to the Scorpion model. They also make Bar types now as well. The light was moved up to help but no matter where it is all plants under it will yellow. I'm not into feeding some plants differently. The China LED doesn't do that so it's an easy fix.

Ca++

I noticed a trend for bottom lighting. It never made sense to me why that would benefit more than side lighting. Side lighting causes plants to open up. I don't see any benefit in using bottom lighting over side Lighting. Bottom lighting isn't good for various reasons.
There is a lot to weigh up. Side-lighting needs it's own space. If you are working wall to wall, it may not be possible. It may also lack penetration, so you get side growth, but if you have a 5x5 of plants, the middle one's are getting less benefit than the outside ones. There is also the goal of stretch. You are using them to achieve stretch, but others may wish to reduce stretch. As lighting from below does.
In efficiency terms, interlighting is the top choice. This is what the big greenhouse guys are using for high wire crops. However, do you want to keep that clean? I know I don't. The next choice is sidelighting, and up-lights are 3rd. Maybe 10% behind, but it's positioning can perhaps claw that back. As it's able to help all the plants in that 5x5, and not really occupy any space.
Looking at a grow with good all round access, there are options like light walls on wheels. In a tent though, a wall to wall canopy leaves no option for side-lights. They become interlights, and leaves will actively grow to cover them.

There are reasons lighting on the floor is inferiour. Just as there are reasons it's superiour. Or perhaps the only choice.

I'm disapointed that the retrofit interlight trials on cannabis, failed to be published last year. It was an area finally getting some university interest, but it was a bad year for project completions in general.

I do know from old tests, that citizen cobs on the floor, did more for the crop than 600s above. On a watt for watt basis, where is was about 75w a meter below, and 500 above. This was repeated many times. The citizen was only a 150lm/w like the 600s.

I think there is a fundamental difference between side and below. They are not trying to achieve the same thing, so the comparison is a bit difficult. Sidelights are an extension of the main lights. You use them all the time, to get your canopy down the sides. Under lighting, for me, isn't used until after stretch. As a canopy grower, I'm chopping stuff out from the bottom. I'm not trying to grow more there. Instead, I'm establishing the crop into flower, then adding more energy for each and every plant. Making the effective canopy deeper.

Hiddenjems

if LEDs are only 1 direction then I guess its logic to use bar LEDs for better coverage. Especially in my case because my 1000w hps covers a 6x6 area. thats the secrets to people who claim to get 4-5lbs per light, lol. notice how they never mention how much area their1000w covers. And its more like 1150w cause they all use DE.
If you’re getting more than 2lbs off a single 1000w hps it’s usually smaller fluffier buds because you’re lighting 30 square feet with 350-400 ppfd.

I use single 1000w hps for a 4x4 area. With multiple lights I can cover 30-40% more area with each light.

little-soldier

If you’re getting more than 2lbs off a single 1000w hps it’s usually smaller fluffier buds because you’re lighting 30 square feet with 350-400 ppfd.

I use single 1000w hps for a 4x4 area. With multiple lights I can cover 30-40% more area with each light.
you would be surprised by the size of the buds on the edges of my 6x6 foot area. I do get small buds though from lower canopy that doesnt get enough ligh. I usually remove 1/3 of the bottom of plants before flower but sometimes i wish i had taken off a bit more.

Ca++

you would be surprised by the size of the buds on the edges of my 6x6 foot area. I do get small buds though from lower canopy that doesnt get enough ligh. I usually remove 1/3 of the bottom of plants before flower but sometimes i wish i had taken off a bit more.
Years of taking a little bit more, leaves me thinking I should still take a little bit more. Even if you clear an area so much the light is now hitting the floor, that clearing is almost certain to fill in.
Growing fluff down there, just slows the trim, and leads to a greater stratospheric differential. Where the tops are great, but the middles not so good, as the plant works to grow this fluff, that may not even support itself.
You might have good reason to put some lights under there. Though I would keep trimming them back harder, to figure just what it is you might want to keep down there.

little-soldier

Years of taking a little bit more, leaves me thinking I should still take a little bit more. Even if you clear an area so much the light is now hitting the floor, that clearing is almost certain to fill in.
Growing fluff down there, just slows the trim, and leads to a greater stratospheric differential. Where the tops are great, but the middles not so good, as the plant works to grow this fluff, that may not even support itself.
You might have good reason to put some lights under there. Though I would keep trimming them back harder, to figure just what it is you might want to keep down there.
yeah still got some testing to do like removing big fan leaves and cutting off more bottoms but its always strain dependant and i switch my strains all the time so kinda hard to dial in. i remember growing a strain back then multiple times and this one time i decided to scrog her with a couple main tops. the terps on her were so different and delicious that it was unrecognisable to what i had grown for many years indoor,outdoor,soil,hydro

greyfader

yeah still got some testing to do like removing big fan leaves and cutting off more bottoms but its always strain dependant and i switch my strains all the time so kinda hard to dial in. i remember growing a strain back then multiple times and this one time i decided to scrog her with a couple main tops. the terps on her were so different and delicious that it was unrecognisable to what i had grown for many years indoor,outdoor,soil,hydro
this is because cannabinoids and terpenes are stratified on an upright plant according to light intensity. the closer to the top the higher the concentrations.

so when we scrog, especially under LEDs, we get more top-quality flowers by keeping more of the plant in the high-light zone.

LED and bud quality - 190 pages.
HIDs and bud quality - unquestionable.
If your looking for a summary here :D
Seems like if bud quality under leds was so unquestionable like HIDs, we would've have known it by now.
But like science guys always say, science don't lie, indeed, it didn't lie in all those tests that never got essential compunds outta plants under leds, or even the infinite rattling about the subject which never seems to exist beforehand with other light systems... Strange enough.
Maybe just maybe all these "science" guys are supporting science when it fits and don't when it's not ?
Probably... But who cares, if you follow the lies they pump in the so called scientific sector of this, you are bound to run into trouble, and the coolest part is, you'll never figure it out haha
The perfect storm is in the works, the take down of weed forever with an army of lying their ass off scientists in order to promote an a destructive product with a fierce agenda and profit.
Ok end rant :p

greyfader

Seems like if bud quality under leds was so unquestionable like HIDs, we would've have known it by now.
But like science guys always say, science don't lie, indeed, it didn't lie in all those tests that never got essential compunds outta plants under leds, or even the infinite rattling about the subject which never seems to exist beforehand with other light systems... Strange enough.
Maybe just maybe all these "science" guys are supporting science when it fits and don't when it's not ?
Probably... But who cares, if you follow the lies they pump in the so called scientific sector of this, you are bound to run into trouble, and the coolest part is, you'll never figure it out haha
The perfect storm is in the works, the take down of weed forever with an army of lying their ass off scientists in order to promote an a destructive product with a fierce agenda and profit.
you are trolling! you are in the wrong thread!

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another science denier and hid fan, this is not the thread for you. Leds are proving to surpass all hid quality and yield levels for those who put in the work. Feel free to cruise the thread and learn something, otherwise, move along, your hid rant is wasted here.

Sorry crooked8 and greyfader, I forget you have stocks in this tech so you get offended when someone says bud quality under LEDS is not all it's hyped to be by science guys.. shit I said it again sorry..
Oh well I indeed learn something from this thread, trust science when it's on my side, and dismiss it when it's not ;)

Btw do you even know what science means ? You sure we are in the same league here ?
You listen to so called scientists that beside theories have nothing with weed and smoking weed, all their "science" won't add up in real life hence a almost 200 page debate on bud quality under the same shitty light that they advertise and preach for and the same shitty light that again science says can't produce essential oils from lavander and allicin from garlic and I'm sure if I search there's a whole lot more of those examples of this super duper bunk light tech that fooled the messes and it sure won't be pretty for led fan boys.
Even jordi said led weed just doesn't hit the mouth right... JeeZ you think ?
It doesn't hit anything right haha
But please don't mind the science here, it's clearly contradicting your science, just ignore it for heaven sake !
So brother, I saw your history here and it's impressive I agree but stick to it and leave the science alone... going to a course won't make you know what your talking about all of a sudden although how nice if it was true..
This thread is fun and and all to see how led fan boys go outta their ways talking back on you like you insulted their mother non the less, where did I saw that kind of zeal... Oh yeah...

greyfader

Btw do you even know what science means ? You sure we are in the same league here ?
You listen to so called scientists that beside theories have nothing with weed and smoking weed, all their "science" won't add up in real life hence a almost 200 page debate on bud quality under the same shitty light that they advertise and preach for and the same shitty light that again science says can't produce essential oils from lavander and allicin from garlic and I'm sure if I search there's a whole lot more of those examples of this super duper bunk light tech that fooled the messes and it sure won't be pretty for led fan boys.
Even jordi said led weed just doesn't hit the mouth right... JeeZ you think ?
It doesn't hit anything right haha
But please don't mind the science here, it's clearly contradicting your science, just ignore it for heaven sake !
So brother, I saw your history here and it's impressive I agree but stick to it and leave the science alone... going to a course won't make you know what your talking about all of a sudden although how nice if it was true..
This thread is fun and and all to see how led fan boys go outta their ways talking back on you like you insulted their mother non the less, where did I saw that kind of zeal... Oh yeah...
again trolling! this is not a thread about belief or non-belief in science! we are not discussing that here!

stop trolling or face the consequences!

again trolling! this is not a thread about belief or non-belief in science! we are not discussing that here!

stop trolling or face the consequences!
Who is trolling ? Can't face it when I shae my exp ? Grow up.
Why no one crying in the non existent bud quality under hps thread like you ?
My exp is valid and I can share it according to the op question
Leds sucks in my book, who cares about your phoney science ? Me smoker, me don't like !
Happy ?

Latest posts

Latest posts