What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED AFTERGLOW

4maggio

I'm running my 2nd grow under LED (400w). My first LED run produced very nicely with no hermying or seeds.
This second run has me finding out that 3 hours after lights out (still in Veg) the LED is still glowing. Is this normal.
I didn't look for light leaks during the first run but after trying every type of electrical hook up, switch and adaptor today, the only way it is BLACK in there is if it is totally unplugged with no connection to any electricity at all. Am I worried about nothing or am I missing or not educated on some sort of LED lore?

Bona Fortuna

Veteran
I'm running my 2nd grow under LED (400w). My first LED run produced very nicely with no hermying or seeds.
This second run has me finding out that 3 hours after lights out (still in Veg) the LED is still glowing. Is this normal.
I didn't look for light leaks during the first run but after trying every type of electrical hook up, switch and adaptor today, the only way it is BLACK in there is if it is totally unplugged with no connection to any electricity at all. Am I worried about nothing or am I missing or not educated on some sort of LED lore?
Howdy!
It sounds like the internal capacitance is letting the lights see some voltage when powered off.

There are a number of things that can cause this; powered wires too long, not enough load elsewhere on the circuit when lights off (the load ‘bleeds’ the voltage off), the LED could be wired weirdly on the internals…

A couple questions.
Does your LED have a dimmer?
Does your LED have an internal timer or are you connected to an external timer?
Are you connected LED to a surge protector and then surge protector to the wall?
If yes with surge protector, do you have anything else plugged into the surge protector?
Do you have any other load on the circuit?
Does your LED happen to be of questionable quality?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
I had this with my kingbrite, try switching the timer 180°, so if its facing upwarts after the switch downwards. Iirc right it has somethig to do that the timer only disconnects one line.

Orange's Greenhouse

Turn the plug/timer in the socket.

Normally the timers only interrupt one connection not both. If neutral is interrupted but line still connected to the driver it can deliver very low amounts of energy and cause the LEDs to barely turn on. With them being so efficient it is visible.

Latest posts

Latest posts