What's new

Lebanizer's adventures in the autoworld

Lebanizer

A week ago I harvested the big Lowryder. We had been having crappy weather november-style for the two weeks before that. At one point I was genuiely concerned it was going to die of rot. Really heavy unending pouring rain so I got her in and put her by the window. Long story short she picked up mold so I'm throwing the harvest to the garbage and ditching this plant as a genetic base, her resistance to rain is abysmal. Not a good start in the Autoworld. And THis reinforces my opinion that the auto I need must be Siberian based. I can't have crazy rain pouring like that and ruining my crop at the peak of its flowering. Overall a rough start in the autoworld but I'm determined to carry on with the Insights I've gathered.

Last edited:
sorry to hear that it didn't work as expected. never grown a lowrider but what i have heard makes me think it is weak on resistance, which i think is an essential criterion for an autoflower given its short lifespan.
a cross I have in mind for the future is siberian ruderalis and guerilla gold, a super auto and semi auto mix should give something interesting.
or another hardy northern freezeland variety, banghi haze....
good luck for the future

we are coming out of 2 weeks of rain almost without interruption too, whereas it was hot and dry before and we are leaving again on hot and dry. The weather is very change, I know its

Lebanizer

Well the next autorun will be next year, I will be popping one full pack of Siberian for a seed run (or maybe two I'll decude later, but definitely no less than an entire pack). Then the objective will be a Siberian x Nanda Devi (or maybe another Himalayan). The Nanda, just like her relatives from Uttarkhand and Nepal can take the crappy weather no problem. Once I stabilize this strain, it will serve me as a a basis for other projects. I think this is the best way to go for me.

The two weeks of unending rain right in the middle of summer was a wake up call, in that whatever I breed has got to be able to deal with such events.

Last edited:

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

A week ago I harvested the big Lowryder. We had been having crappy weather november-style for the two weeks before that. At one point I was genuiely concerned it was going to die of rot. Really heavy unending pouring rain so I got her in and put her by the window. Long story short she picked up mold so I'm throwing the harvest to the garbage and ditching this plant as a genetic base, her resistance to rain is abysmal. Not a good start in the Autoworld. And THis reinforces my opinion that the auto I need must be Siberian based. I can't have crazy rain pouring like that and ruining my crop at the peak of its flowering. Overall a rough start in the autoworld but I'm determined to carry on with the Insights I've gathered.
Does it rain a lot in Siberia? I just looked up weather stats for Novosibirsk, the largest city in Siberia and they get 18.5 inches of precipitation annually. Siberia genetics should be cold tolerant, but might end up not being as moisture & humidity tolerant. Some arid region photoperiod varieties are rot prone when they're grown in humid damp climates.

goingrey

Does it rain a lot in Siberia? I just looked up weather stats for Novosibirsk, the largest city in Siberia and they get 18.5 inches of precipitation annually. Siberia genetics should be cold tolerant, but might end up not being as moisture & humidity tolerant. Some arid region photoperiod varieties are rot prone when they're grown in humid damp climates.
I think this is really where the poor mold resistance of LR comes from, the ruderalis. People say the NL but I'm not so sure.

Of course Joint Doc used Nevil's ruderalis which isn't Siberian but "Found at the Soviet (Ukrainian) / Hungarian border, growing in poor sandy soils".

Lebanizer

Hi Lebanizer, what a bad luck. Don't let yourself be dissuaded from your project! Unfortunately, setbacks when breeding autoflowering strains are not unlikely under non-professional conditions.
Thanks dude. Don't worry I'm not being discouraged eventhough I was a bit bummed when it didn't turn out at all the way I thought it would . There's what I expected and the reality of Cannabis biology, which are two different things to say the least :ROFLMAO: !

Lebanizer

Hi @Chuck Jägerschnitzel

Thanks for stopping by :). This is a very valid question you've raised and you had me thinking. I thought it was a given that Siberian plants could withstand extended heavy pouring but maybe not. SO I looked at closer data for precipitation (expressed in millimeter). The Siberian I have is from the roundabouts of Chelyabinsk.

jan.feb.maraprilmayjunjulaugsep.oct.nov.dec.year

The upper line with blue numbers is Chelyabinsk. The lower line in black is mine.

On a full year basis, I get more rain than Chelyabinsk. However the Siberian plant has a lifecycle from roughly may to september (when temps > 10°C). Two remarks:
  • over that period of time we get about the same amount of water (273mm vs 275,4),
  • in july, at the peak of flowering, Chelyabinsk gets 50% more water than where I am.
So based on these data alone, I think it's reasonable to assume that these plants should be able to cope with the sort of weather I've had so far. But of course only experience will tell but I have good hopes for this one, if I get them to pop that is. That's another subject.

Lebanizer

I think this is really where the poor mold resistance of LR comes from, the ruderalis. People say the NL but I'm not so sure.

Of course Joint Doc used Nevil's ruderalis which isn't Siberian but "Found at the Soviet (Ukrainian) / Hungarian border, growing in poor sandy soils".
Interesting. I had always wondered what the heck that mysterious Mexican Ruderalis was. I was baffled by the very concept of a Mexican Ruderalis and always assumed it must've been some kind of eastern European hemp strain. Even stranger, I'm seeing a lot of auto breeders list Mexican Ruderalis as a parent plant on seedfinder.

However I'm a bit surprised though that LR low mold resistance would stem from the ruderalis side. NL or Willy's Wonder would seem more logical to me. Why are you not convinced ?

goingrey

Interesting. I had always wondered what the heck that mysterious Mexican Ruderalis was. I was baffled by the very concept of a Mexican Ruderalis and always assumed it must've been some kind of eastern European hemp strain. Even stranger, I'm seeing a lot of auto breeders list Mexican Ruderalis as a parent plant on seedfinder.

However I'm a bit surprised though that LR low mold resistance would stem from the ruderalis side. NL or Willy's Wonder would seem more logical to me. Why are you not convinced ?
Mexican Ruderalis was a cross of a Mexican sativa and this Ukrainian ruderalis from The Seed Bank.

No experience with Willy's Wonder but NL isn't as mold-prone as the nice buds would make one think, IME. Also, if the ruderalis grows in rocky sandy ground in situ, well that's quite different from the rich well irrigated peat or other soils we use..

gorilla ganja

THis reinforces my opinion that the auto I need must be Siberian based
I've used the Siberian auto in a hybrid before and mould resistance was not as good as I had hoped.
The Siberian Auto has tiny wispy buds and I think that's what helps it resist mould in its pure form, more so than any great resistance built into the genes. Maybe it was just the combo I did, but I thought I would mention my experience with the Siberian Auto Landrace.

CannaZen

Here we go !

My foraying into the autoworld has now officially begun !

Introduction

The autoworld is my new frontier because I have finally come to terms with the objective reality of my situation. My situation is that I grow at 49N on my balconey in an urban context and very clearly these are not the right conditions for most of the strains that are on the market. Also I don't want to smoke weed I want to make hash the classical way (dry sift). Last, my love goes to the Himalayan plants but really I think even early plants like Lebanese plants can benefit from going auto. Therefore the intent is to create the landrace-based strains that are tailor made for me.

Breeding

As breeding material I have decided to use the following strains by desceding order of preference:
  1. [RSC] Kurgan
  2. [RSC] Siberian
  3. [CHS] Danish Lowryder
The reason I wanna deal first and foremost with Kurgan is because a lof auto are based on Lowryder which includes Northern Lights genetics. I love sativas and especially the Himalayan ones as stated above and I don't want to mire their soaring high flying stratospheric highs with couchlocking indicaness and their terrible munchies (barf). Therefore I really want to prevent as much contamination as possible. Kurgan seems to fit the deal as it's a pure auto not contaminated by Norther Lights or other "western indicas". The Siberian is supposed to include Kazakh hash plant genetics. I'm not really familiar with Kazakh drug type plants but I assume they should be close to HIndu Kush types which is not good either. And then Danish Lowryder, well it does have lowryder so not the best, but it's a stabilized plant that have very desirable qualities (auto with dwarf stature) and which have been used in a lot of interesting Danish autos so I'm not completely closed to the option either.

ESFAL

Before actually getting into breeding I need to reach ESFAL state though (Enough Seeds for a Lifetime). Basically I need to have much more seeds to sustain this breeding project on the long run (ie the rest of my life). So the first step is to reproduce all these strains. This will also get me acquainted with their different developpmental patterns.

Kurgan

Which is why I had already planted 6 Kurgan seeds on my bacloney so they would be exposed to freezing. I was expecting them to pop somewhere in march at spring after temperatures rise but surprise surprise two have already popped. It's true that temperatures this week have been very mild for winter (above 14°C). I just hope it's a male and a female. If they're both females and the others pop too late, i'd be a waste as they would'nt be fertilized in time. We'll see. I'll post some pictures this week.
i think with the kurgan your going to get stoned like indican but that i can tell you some of the hindu kush smell like raspberry/strawberry which is alpha and beta pinine, caryophyllene and D-limonene (for strawberry aroma) and there's a tang to it too. well i get where your coming from. the hindu kush seeds i got (specifically the pakistan auto but pck too). arent like bad i dont want stuff that puts me to sleep mid-day either but i sure do get stoned (not a good thing) thought trips. i dont remember what the compounds were called but that they were like depressants or something.

edit: forget it, i just was trying to say its not the problem but i think the paki/lowryder has sleep compounds.. im interested in himalayan seeds too.

airplane

i think with the kurgan your going to get stoned like indican but that i can tell you some of the hindu kush smell like raspberry/strawberry which is alpha and beta pinine, caryophyllene and D-limonene (for strawberry aroma) and there's a tang to it too. well i get where your coming from. the hindu kush seeds i got (specifically the pakistan auto but pck too). arent like bad i dont want stuff that puts me to sleep mid-day either but i sure do get stoned (not a good thing) thought trips. i dont remember what the compounds were called but that they were like depressants or something.

edit: forget it, i just was trying to say its not the problem but i think the paki/lowryder has sleep compounds.. im interested in himalayan seeds too.
can give you some very good breeder of autos' if you want - my list is about 5 breeders long - yields are what I bass them on yields- all were good smoke just let me knoe