What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Keep a disposable rasor for 6 months, at least

Tennessee

come on, "i gotta shave with a new razor or my face hurts"

a bunch of bullshit -- some people just do not care how much the little things in this world adds up.

"they" should just go ahead and mass produce consumer products so that we can off ourselves at an economical price. oh wait, just go jump off a cliff

ddrew

Veteran
I've used them all and there is only one razor worth messing with in my opinion.
The Gillette Fusion.
5 blades, the thing just glides across your face and head, one blade will last 2 months which is good since a new pack of blades is like $20.
Closest, smoothest shave ever, and you would have to be almost retarded to cut yourself with one.

Attachments

• gillette_fusion.jpg
    gillette_fusion.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
H

Hal

I second the Gillette Fusion. I don't even use any shave cream, just shave after getting out of the shower, beard is nice and softened. Shave cream, IMO, is a waste of time (application) and money.

Haven't tried the "power" version, though. Seems kinda silly to me.

H

h^2 O

i use Gillette "ultra-sensitive." It has oatmeal in it. And when you're done shaving you done wash your face - you rub the remaining lotion into its skin, as it doubles as a lotion.
gilettegiveaway.jpg

oatmeal-197x300.gif

Yummybud

Veteran
okay heres what I've found: I use the 4 blade schick quattro I've found this to be the best blade vs mach 3.

anyways selling you expensie blades is good business for the companies so obviously they don't want to you use a blade for weeks or months, so most blades are mades so after 2-3 shaves they start irritating your skin.

this is not because the blade is now dull but because that soapy slipper part of the blade gets washed off and I think teh blade no long slides properly. now I bought the schick quattro titanium and it lasts much longer and I highly doubt its because of the titanium but rather that soap strip is much bigger and when the soap is gone there is still a big cushiony rubber behind it so you can still use it when the soap washes away.

also other thing if you rinse your blade with rubbing alcohol after each use it will stay sharper for longer.

I was also told that minerals in tap water dry up on the blade and therefore it can't cut anymore if you rinse it with alcohol each time it should last much longer.

blades are freakin expensive, the pack of 8 blades for schick quattro are like 22-24 bucks and I used to go through like 3 blades a week.

those sharpeners they sell on tv are just made ot get all those dried minerals on the blade off but unfortunately they won't work on teh schick quattro blades. The schick quattro blades have wires running across them prevents you from getting cut.

so far I've found the schick quattro to be the best shave. I hated mach 3 it'd cut of my face real bad and I'd always have blood spots.

Yummybud

Veteran
I haven't tried the fusion. Those blades are crazy expensive and i'm scared they'll only last a couple days like all the other blades. I don't want to spend like 50 bucks on 8 blades.

ddrew

Veteran
I haven't tried the fusion. Those blades are crazy expensive and i'm scared they'll only last a couple days like all the other blades. I don't want to spend like 50 bucks on 8 blades.

You get what you pay for in this case, they really are nice, and I get a couple months out of each blade.

A

alpinestar

traditional single blade razor or a large knife are the way to go.
i never get razor burn unless i use that gel shit or some weird shave cream
cold water and a blade work just fine

anyone get their face shaved with a haircut? you rarely see that anywhere now...

roor smoker

this all just sounded like horror stories to me... shaving dry?
i switch up blades every week....
at $2 and some change for Wilkinson blades... and up to $7+ for gillette blades. a bowl and brush to make lather is too pimp. i also switch up shave creams and aftershaves:joint:

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 7

Yummybud

Veteran
I can't imagine shaving dry with no shaving cream. I use the sensitive skin shaving cream with no perfumes and dyes as my skin gets irritated easily.

I also have a thick rough beard so I shave against the grain to get a nice close shave without shaving cream I'd just rip my face off.

maybe some of you guys have like baby fine hair or something then I can see a razor lasting months and not needing shaving cream.

schick quattro powers are pretty good, I doubt the fusion is much better it just adds one more blade. the quattro already has 4 blades and the thing about the quattro is that it has wires running across the blades so its pretty much impossible to get a cut.

when I was using the mach 3 I'd always get a couple cuts each shave and I'd have to go over some spots aganst the grain a couple times for it to cut the hairs. I also tried another gillete blade and they sucked for me too.

so now I've just stuck with schick quattro imo way better blade/ shave.

Yummybud

Veteran
for a my lip and chin area, I've never had success using a blade, I just chop it up into a bloody mess. so I shave that part with a braun electric razor which does an okay job.

I don't use a electric for my whole face as it doesn't shave as close as I like and the shavers get hot and burn my face.

best electric shaver I had was a panasonic wet/dry linear shaver they're expensive but it pretty much shaved as close as a blade mine broke and they're like 300 bucks so I didn't buy another one.

H

Hal

I never considered shaving dry either, until one day I was in a super hurry and decided to forgo the cream so I wouldn't be late for work. It really wasn't bad at all. Kept going without shave cream and it got more comfortable as the days went on. Been doin it for a few years now. Never going back.

Its not really dry, you get your face wet and the blade wet. Just no cream.

Don't knock it 'til ya try it :)

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
I've used them all and there is only one razor worth messing with in my opinion.
The Gillette Fusion.
5 blades, the thing just glides across your face and head, one blade will last 2 months which is good since a new pack of blades is like $20.
Closest, smoothest shave ever, and you would have to be almost retarded to cut yourself with one.

I'll have to cosign on this one. I have the power version, works very nice.

ddrew

Veteran
Ok, that's the second time someone mentioned it.
What is the power version? What is powered on it?

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
It has a AA battery in it, kinda reminds me of my ultrasonic toothbrush. I have no idea if it works better TBH, my ex bought it for me last year, and I never used the non-powered version. I sent her to the store, and of course she buys me the most expensive frickin disp. razor there was! lol

EDIT: Hey, I miss your tinfoil beanie wearing avvy! I know whats REALLY going on here! :D

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is just insane. I cant stand to use a disposable razor once. I gotta shave off any growth with my electric razor and then smooth shave.

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I never considered shaving dry either, until one day I was in a super hurry and decided to forgo the cream so I wouldn't be late for work. It really wasn't bad at all. Kept going without shave cream and it got more comfortable as the days went on. Been doin it for a few years now. Never going back.

Its not really dry, you get your face wet and the blade wet. Just no cream.

Don't knock it 'til ya try it :)

Hell man even in jail they use soap if they dont have cream.