What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Is Finola really day-neutral?

not true autoflowering f1 hybrid crosses based on lowrider and photoperiode but semi-autoflowering like some landrace (Moroccan, or with a mighty mite origin) with true autoflowering.
it was selected to flower under 18 hours of light or perhaps less, but the genetic basis is totally different. They flower from 2 and a half months or mid-July or 5 to 7 knots per month (47° north).
This is why a backcross with a full auto is not the solution that I will follow even if I had considered it too.

In my opinion :
semi-autoflowering + autoflowering

selection of semi-autoflowering (triggering of flowering from 18 hours of light).

in f3 selection of full autoflowering (lowrider type).

kendermag

not true autoflowering f1 hybrid crosses based on lowrider and photoperiode but semi-autoflowering like some landrace (Moroccan, or with a mighty mite origin) with true autoflowering.
it was selected to flower under 18 hours of light or perhaps less, but the genetic basis is totally different. They flower from 2 and a half months or mid-July or 5 to 7 knots per month (47° north).
This is why a backcross with a full auto is not the solution that I will follow even if I had considered it too.

In my opinion :
semi-autoflowering + autoflowering

selection of semi-autoflowering (triggering of flowering from 18 hours of light).

in f3 selection of full autoflowering (lowrider type).
It is probably a difficult task to stabilize a semi-autoflowering trait, since it seems to be a quantitative trait.

Unlike the autoflower, early or late genes, which are more manageable, many other genes seem to be involved that also influence the critical photoperiod.

kendermag

On Sunday I planted 30 Bx1 seeds and 1 CBD 20:1. A while ago I just transplanted them into small pots (0.5 L) and the CBD 20:1 into a 1.5 L pot.

The idea is to see if 50% are really autoflowering, and in the process make some Bx2 seeds for the next test, by pollinating the CBD 20:1 plant with the selected Bx1 male.
I will also pollinate the Bx1 females and keep seeds from the plants that look best.

1726264169469.jpg

The schedule may be something like this:

1726266966113.png

kendermag

A plant with 3 leaves has appeared, another one also appeared in the F1.
I'll discard it later.

Today I will set them to 24h, until now they have been at 18h.

Growth with this 75w light is slow, but soon they will begin to run out of space.

If everything goes as I hope, once the non-autoflowering ones have been discarded (50% of them) and a single male has been selected, there will be about 8 females and one male left.

At the moment Fast Bud Auto 20:1 is the smallest of the plants (large pot).

1726851142137.jpg

kendermag

In this Bx1 generation supposedly 50% real autoflowering plants should appear.

To be able to clearly identify them, they will have a 24-hour light photoperiod from now on.

Under 18 hours of light I have seen that both the original Finola females and those of the F1 cross (with autoflowering) begin flowering, although it is not a forceful flowering, but rather they release some flowers while they continue growing.

1726852326075.jpeg

Finola and F1 males, on the other hand, do flower normally under 18 hours of light, but I think it is a common behavior in Cannabis, perhaps a sex-linked gene that increases the critical photoperiod compared to females.

At the moment my hypothesis is that the semi-autoflowering trait of the Finola variety, and probably with some landraces that show this behavior, is not related to the Autoflower1 gene of common autoflowering varieties nor with the fast version ones.

Proof of this is that no real autoflowering strains have appeared in the F1 generation (auto x “semi-auto”).

In my opinion, what best fits is to think that the critical photoperiod is governed by a broad set of genes (polygenic trait) that allows continuous variation of critical photoperiod from 12h to 18h or probably more (>20h?).

The fact that the F1 inherited this semi-auto trait could be due to the semi-auto trait being dominant, or to the influence of the autoflower1 gene, since these F1s are also fast-version... how fucking crazy... they would be semi-auto and fast-version.

I know that what triggers flowering is the hours of darkness, but I prefer to talk about hours of light because it is clearer for me, please forgive this inaccuracy.