What's new

Ionic Bloom/Boost - Confused

Bones

Hey all,

I have bought the ionic range of nutrients for my nft, and I am having difficulty working out the correct way to use the boost. I've done lots of searches and can only find this information:

"Make up IONIC BLOOM in the nutrient tank.
Add IONIC BOOST at 1 ml per litre of tank volume.
Repeat twice weekly
Keep EC around 2.0 mS and pH at 6 or slightly under."

The schedule I have found also has this information:

"1. Empty old tank – rinse thoroughly and fill with fresh water.
2. Use pump if possible to stir and agitate the water.
3. Add the appropriate IONIC nutrient solution – usually at
around 7 ml per litre. Mix thoroughly.
4. Check EC – add more nutrient if necessary – mixing well
until EC is at desired level (usually 1.5–2 mS).
5. If using BOOST – add now at 1–2 ml per litre in the tank."

I'm having difficulty with applying this to my setup =(.

Here is how I currently maintain my NFT.

New rez every week, (currently wk4 flowering ec - 1.90)
Every day (I have a small rez), I top up with about 3 - 4 Litres water and bring my ec back up to starting point (1.90 atm), using Ionic Bloom.
(Then adjust ph and add H202).

There are two things that are confusing me about how to go about adding the boost. Firstly, the schedule says - "Add IONIC BOOST at 1 ml per litre of tank volume. Repeat twice weekly".

The bottle of bloom recommends use at 7ml per litre of final tank volume.

From this info i take it that this means that I want a ratio of 7:1 (Bloom:Boost). Easy enough........except why does it say "Repeat twice weekly"?

Does this assume that the tank is only topped up twice weekly, thus for my situation add boost every day at 7:1 (Bloom:Boost) when I top up.

Or

Does it mean top up with 7:1 (Bloom:Boost) twice a week, and the rest of the time top up with just bloom.

The other main thing that is confusing the hell out of me is the way the schedule says:

"1. Empty old tank – rinse thoroughly and fill with fresh water.
2. Use pump if possible to stir and agitate the water.
3. Add the appropriate IONIC nutrient solution – usually at
around 7 ml per litre. Mix thoroughly.
4. Check EC – add more nutrient if necessary – mixing well
until EC is at desired level (usually 1.5–2 mS).
5. If using BOOST – add now at 1–2 ml per litre in the tank."

This implies to me that I should make the tank up to the desired EC with Bloom, then add Boost on top. Would this not raise my EC too high?

Any help would be massively appreciated, I've been trying to decide how to go about adding the boost for weeks now and I've gotta start using it next week!

My ladies are looking so lovely and healthy that I REALLY don't want to get it wrong and overfert them. This is my first NFT and I'm surprised how easy it seems so far, this is the first thing I haven't been able to reach a solid decision about - screwing it up now would possibly be heartbreaking :violin:
so anyone with experience of IONIC range in nft please please help!!!!
Thanks for reading :wave:

Bones

Hi all,

Thanks again for reading, can no one help!?!?

Please anyone who uses ionic save me from my confusion!!!
I think they're ready for it now but I really don't want to screw it up!!!

Oh btw, my Ec has started going up a couple of days ago, it's always gone down through the day so far......could the e.c rising (presumably evaporation as Im pretty sure I haven't overdone the food) mean that they're now ready for the boost?? (As in the ratio's wrong so they're not taKing so much food now??).

Thanks for reading - any help/ideas would be great as I'm new to NFT.

If you need more info on setup, please let me know - my post seemed long enough as it is!!

Bones

Bump*
Any input at all?????

Is my question clear?? Please help me with the right way to add Ionic boost =)

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I just filled my rez with 4 teaspoons a gallon of ionic bloom and 3/4 teaspoon per gallon of the boost, hope it works. also added some cal mag, cannazym, rhizotonic and liquid bat guano... we will see how it works out...

BowlPacks

Yeah, bro you should be using 7ml per gallon of the BOOST and 20ml per gallon of the Bloom, yes 20ml or 4 teaspoons per gallon of bloom.
For a 50 gal res I use 1 liter of bloom and 200 ml of boost
...it says it on the bottle

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
the boost helps but its not somethign thats gonan shock and kill your plants i usually add everytime i top off my rez and the recommended rates or alittle under...ive ran it with no rez changes just top offs no probs.... under rated nutes imho....

BowlPacks

Get MO- I always use some form of additive, Floralicious Plus, Liquid Karma, Synergy etc. AND I always use CAL-MAG....

Mist

I used the Ionic line of nutes for 10 years and stopped using the boost after a while and started using General Hydroponics florlicious grow (during vegg) and florolicious bloom for flowering. It was way better than the boost ever was and the finished product was better too. I started doing that after having done a grow without the boost and saw no difference in plant vitality or yield.
The Ionic nutes are great though!

For Vegg I used this in a 25 gallon res:
Adjust ph in water before adding nutrients .
300ml Ionic Grow
125ml Florolicious Grow

For Flower I use:

350ml Ionic Bloom
125ml Florolicious Bloom

I use the General Hydroponics KoolBloom for the last 3 weeks of flowering at a rate of 1/4 cup per 25 gallons with the last week it being mixed with just pain water for flushing,

Hope this helps.

Mist

Latest posts

Latest posts