What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Infusing 120 Proof (60%) Everclear..... Heat or Cold?

Ringodoggie

I am infusing some Everclear for the purpose of making cannabis drinks.

All I can get here in SoCal is 120 Proof so I am stuck with that.

Most of the articles I read about infusion said to use hot (double boiler) to mix the alcohol and the cannabis. However, ever article I read about extraction always recommends the deep freezer method.

I am not making tincture so I am not going to reduce it. I'll mix it with some fruit punch or citrus mix to make the Everclear taste tolerable and hopefully, make it so a single 1 ounce dose will be sufficient.

So, hot or cold?

I put 14 grams in the freezer and mixed it with 1 cup of freezer cold Everclear. I am shaking it often and I'll take it out and strain it with a coffee filter after a few hours.

If it doesn't work, I'll try the double boiler method.

Any comments or suggestions?

Peace

Ringodoggie

OK, now I remember. You're absolutely right. Separation was the problem last time I did this. That's why I was experimenting with maltodextrin. I went back and read my own posts to catch up. LOL

You know you're old and forgetful when you have to go back and read your own posts in an online forum to relearn what you already learned and forgot.

Damn, what was I saying? LOL

I will update my current experiment....

I kind of forgot about this and left it in the freezer for a couple days. I pulled it out and poured it though a coffee filter and got almost everything back. About 7 ounces of Everclear. I started with 8 ounces. Nice color.

everclear.jpg

I started with 16 grams of pot. It was a seed crop so the pot had been manhandled a lot during seed removal. I am estimating the THC at about 10%, maybe less. That's 1600 mg of THC total. I used 8 ounces figuring 1 ounce would equal 200 mg or THC per ounce.

Yesterday I mixed 1 ounce with some plain pineapple juice. I was totally amazed to see that it didn't separate at all. No oil film on the edge of the glass. Too good to be true. Still tasted like total ass. I hate the taste of cannabis.

Unfortunately, because of my tolerance levels I can't always tell what works. That 1 ounce drink did nothing.

So, today I tried mixing it in with a Bloody Mary. This time I used 2 ounces. Still tasted like ass but I used a bunch of Worcestershire sauce and I finally killed the canna taste.

I just did it about 20 minutes ago so I'll let you know.

Ringodoggie

The infused simple syrup rocks and is by far my number one request when teaching people infusion
Fairly simple with the advent of refined RSO
View attachment 19050841 View attachment 19050842 View attachment 19050843

You can buy many flavors and add to club soda for infused sodas
Holds up in carbonation with ice or steaming hot tea and coffee
You can leave it out at room temp then put it in the fridge or micro and it will not separate

I would stick to alcohol drinks, mainly infusing shooters
Less likely to separate and easier to get the oil if it does
What you are trying to avoid is the oil sticking to the glass and your lips and tongue
A lot of potency is lost here

Edit:you can infuse a lot of drinks where there will be separation, just have to drink them quickly
You can filter the tincture with carbon and celite545 to remove the "plant" taste

RIP Psychedelic Sam
Thanks. Syrup is on my list. :)

Sam is dead???? Must have been not too long ago. We were talking in that thread at Grasscity. Wow. Bummer.

Ringodoggie

Just a short follow-up. This shit works pretty darn well.

I dosed 2 Tbsp the first time and felt nothing. I went up to 4 Tbsp/2 oz. and I actually got some buzz. I did the same 2 oz dose today and it's still working.

A few days ago I mixed 2 oz with some V-8 and it still tasted like shit ( I hate the tease of canna anything) so I added some Tabasco and Worcestershire (Bloody Mary) and it hid the taste much better. I don't remember feeling too much but I smoked less and that's a sign I was off to some extent.

Today I mixed 2 oz in a juice glass with some fresh pineapple juice and it went down OK but still tasted like shit. LOL Canna is bad enough but that Everclear is nasty shit. LOL

I did that about 3:00 and told myself not to smoke any joints for an hour or so to see if I was getting off from the Everclear. I fell a tiny buzz until about 5:00 when I ate dinner. Then, after dinner I actually felt high (rare for me) and skipped my after-dinner joint altogether. It is 7:30 and I still have not smoked a joint. I definitely feel some kind of buzz and that, in itself is pretty rare for me.

So, overall, considering it was only 120 Proof/60% it seems to have absorbed very well.

It's a fair way to dose if you can get past the taste. I am going to try it with other mixes.

I also plan to try this with Vodka. I'm hoping that's going to help in the taste. Perhaps I could distill the 86 proof vodka to something closer to 120 or 150 without loosing the vodka taste. Maybe even whiskey.

It's huge that it replaced smoking for me. I still smoke 15 to 20 joints a day and my breathing is going to shit. I wheeze myself to sleep at night. To be able to use this drink to replace some of my smoking would be awesome.

Syrup is next. ;)

Prs2xs

Have you de-carbed the pot before putting it in the ever clear?? If you haven't, you will be very surprised at the increase of effect. You won't need to use alcohol any more either, the pot can be added to any oil you like and eaten, or added to food.

Tincandtoke

Hey, @Tincandtoke , what happened to your post? I wanted to try that syrup recipe you posted and came back here for the link.

??

Thanks

Rethinking how I present information and respond

The syrup is a safe exchange of info
To bind the cannabis oil/RSO use gums, xanthan (90%) and acacia (10%)

I use and swear by this product

For the syrup I used this recipe but they need an email address now

Basically 2 cups (250 grams) of sugar and 1 cup (240ml or 240 grams) of water
Brush (like one for bbq) and small bowl of water
Bring to a rolling boil and reduce heat to simmer
Using a brush, dip in some water and starting about an inch above the syrup brush around the sides of the pan in a complete circle, dip the brush in the bowl of water several times, prevents crystals
Never stir the syrup
Takes 10 minutes to simmer the syrup
Repeat the process at the 5 and 10 minute mark, shut the heat off and let it sit for 3-5 minutes
Add the 210S, I use 2 grams for 5 grams of refined rso
Blend with a hand mixer (working on a better method of mixing the ingredients but not much time)
here is the tricky part, prior to mixing the whole batch I have experimented with taking some of the 210S syrup and mixing that with the rso in a small bowl then adding that mixture to the rest of the syrup for mixing with a hand blender/emulsifier
Try to minimize how much rso gets stuck to the blender
Also the reason to work with hot syrup if you don't mind the risk
And I have to emphasize the danger of sugar burns, this is as dangerous as making hard candy
My end is 5 syringes that are 1 gram a piece
Last me about 6-7 weeks
It hits much different than oil, lighter and shorter duration
Perfect for day consumption

You can do small batches and some pre made syrups
Warm the pre made syrup up
Not a fan of pre mades, to many extra ingredients

Trying to figure out if this is a scam
Nano emulsion could be a home thing

IMG_20240520_174638.jpg