What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Indoor vs. Outdoor

Sun&Soil

That there is finger hash roll that shit of your finger and smoke it up
You know it!

20231021_155214.jpg

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Seems like its always half a dozen of this and 6 of the other..

IMO: Outdoor you are subject to Mother Nature's Fickle Finger of Fate. Indoor you are god in control. Outdoor the sun is free while indoor electricity is costly now. Outdoor I can grow 'em as big as I want. Indoor space is at a premium. Outdoor there are issues of security. Indoor produces the most photogenic flowers... etc etc

Personally, I prefer outdoor-organic-sun grown buds.. OTOH, I know some peeps that rather have that indoor hydro taste..

Captain Red Eye

I have also noticed with the newer breed of strains, they don't seem to do as well out doors as the older strains. I feel like recent breeding has been focused more on terpene and trichome production, which isn't as viable outdoors given the environmental variables.

This is an interesting observation.

Having made a few seeds outdoors in the distant past, I think one factor could be much of what we "bred" for next year's outdoor came from outdoor selections and successful crosses from previous years. Not to mention alot of what we started with for seeds came from stock that somebody else had already grown and done well with outdoors.

That whole acclimated, born and bred outdoors thing. We were more likely to pop spring seeds from seed moms that performed well in previous years etc. Also, the emphasis wasn't always about "high thc", the weed "worked" or it didn't. If it "worked" real well (heeeey that's some good shit) and grew real well, we grew more of that next year.

(stoner equation time) "Observant Guerrilla breeding" + hybrid vigor + a little luck = higher outdoor hardiness

Lolo94

@ Captain Red Eye,I think what you're describing is what most guerrilla growers did during the prohibition days. For many, seeds were limited and environments were limiting. That being the case, many gems were created or adapted.
I've always found it easier and certainly more productive to adapt outdoor strains to indoors, then vice versa. I'm curious how strains originally reproduced outdoors but since reproduced indoors for several generations would do outdoors again. Anyone have experience with that scenario?

Latest posts

Latest posts