What's new

Diary Indian Landrace Exchange: 2022 outdoor, 42 north

Naindejardin

Very interesting project you got going on.
I've never grown any landraces or sativa dominant stuff (I love my indicas) but I'm looking forward to see what you can do.
Good luck and good harvests! :joint::smoker:
Yeah it’s a learning curve, the struggle is to get them to finish this far north. Winter is coming haha. Rather excited for the smoke though, I hate all this super high potency, couch lock bud. Contrary to my beliefs on that, I’m not a boomer, I just remember the yellow brick weed of the late 90’s. Laughing, eating, and staying up all night. Now, I don’t need to do that, but a higher energy, less drowsy inducing high would be better. Watch some TV, do art, cook dinner and not just want to crawl into bed.

Short story long... thanks

Naindejardin

This week...
3E734F07-4096-4B78-AEA4-265C4748DC8C.jpeg
DC65BE31-C621-4F8F-9402-98A13C7B527A.jpeg
6522F900-4991-430F-92A4-CAB6B92857F8.jpeg
0D4FC32D-E218-4174-A6E4-D8C9E43E9DD1.jpeg
1C33BC5D-33B6-4002-B8C2-4BC446A5F1FA.jpeg
DD50F808-E062-48C0-9B52-00FD475B86E8.jpeg
5F49C40A-A213-4AA6-B8FA-7FDC3A41DCC7.jpeg

Naindejardin

Well I believe all males are killed. Put some of the males flowers in a vase to collect some pollen at home, have a bit saved in a GC vial in a jar with desiccant and then film wrapped. I believe it was a Wailing. After counting and not being under the influence, 1 Waichin (red stem) and two Wailing remain. I did get clones of them so far, and they have yet to root. Definitely interested in keeping the red stem Waichin, one of the Wailing (whichever smells better), green and purple phenos of the Swabi (the more squatty ones). I have two Waichin Strawberry seeds left and I bought some Waichin Purple and Kali Ram from Trident. I may have to try and get some breeding in this winter. Going to make some Malana Valley bastards.
The Tosh x Ethiopian are also doing great, I put them in way later and they’re just about caught up to the others. Two are Christmas tree shaped and two are huge sativa octopi.
Thanks for following everyone, this is way more fun than bag seeds and feminized hype strains. 😛

Naindejardin

So a couple things:

I have pink pistils on the Swazi Pak!!! Wow these plants are resinous and stinky. The Waichins and Wailings are starting to really flower. All sativas are over 15ft, nearly as tall as the barn. The Tosh x Ethiopian smell of pure lemon pledge, not really flowering yet (scary as the rain and fall are coming).

Lastly, I spread some Wailing pollen (sadly the only male I saved in a vase) on some lower branch flowers. I’m pretty sure I messed up though, it was windy. Ope... seeded my whole crop

Well you just might find something good. Wish I could grow outdoor but I have to keep it on the down low. Don't want to have to register as a medical patient and deal with that bs. Plants look good. I was going to ask if the purple on the stems was a sulfur deficiency or just genetic.

Naindejardin

Pretty sure genetic, that plant in particular looks really healthy. I think red stem is a trait in North Indian genetics. I do think I might have a micronutrient deficiency on one plant but I’ve given Roots Organics cal mag which has sulfur in it and also molasses.

Naindejardin

Got some much needed rain! Things are in full bloom and starting to really stretch. Literally, some plants have grown a foot in less than a week. The Malana Valley girls are over 15 feet 😅

laszlokovacs

The Tosh x Ethiopian smell of pure lemon pledge, not really flowering yet (scary as the rain and fall are coming).

Lastly, I spread some Wailing pollen (sadly the only male I saved in a vase) on some lower branch flowers. I’m pretty sure I messed up though, it was windy. Ope... seeded my whole crop
I'm 42N too, no way I thought growing these up here would be possible. Good luck and props for trying- a 15ft sativa sounds beautiful.

For what its worth I heard from someone growing ethiopian tosh in vermont that it holds up well. Tosh female apparently deals well in rain from its genetics/the monsoons in tosh india. They claimed they finish end of Oct up in VT. Not sure how aggresive fall will hit us this year though...

Naindejardin

I'm 42N too, no way I thought growing these up here would be possible. Good luck and props for trying- a 15ft sativa sounds beautiful.

For what its worth I heard from someone growing ethiopian tosh in vermont that it holds up well. Tosh female apparently deals well in rain from its genetics/the monsoons in tosh india. They claimed they finish end of Oct up in VT. Not sure how aggresive fall will hit us this year though...
Yeah, it’s actually been really fun growing these. The bud structure is super airy and I hope they fill up in the next month. Where I’m at the cold isn’t really the issue, it’s the bud rot and mold. So, scorching summer and gross, rainy fall with high humidity isn’t beneficial for the dense bud structure of the modern hybrids. I’ve also lost a LOT of plants the aforementioned bud rot and mold. It’s also super windy here, the rubber band like stems have been great, definitely less brittle than strains I’ve previously grown (maybe increased lignin). I’m thinking if all goes as planned I’ll have some nice fluffy buddy but no mold and plenty to make bubble hash with. It’ll be exciting to see if I get some interesting terpene profiles too.
Also, VT Grass has grown these Tosh with success. So, shout-out and kudos to him for providing those seeds.
I also got some Champawat that I’ll pop for next year. A Nepali/North Indian, I’m only like 300 MASL but I don’t know why more people haven’t tried the highland sativas here.

laszlokovacs

Also, VT Grass has grown these Tosh with success. So, shout-out and kudos to him for providing those seeds.
I also got some Champawat that I’ll pop for next year. A Nepali/North Indian, I’m only like 300 MASL but I don’t know why more people haven’t tried the highland sativas here.
Yeah haha same person I'm thinking of who said that they hold up well in the rain/wet season! I'm in a similar elevation as you too, def going to look at indian landrace exchange's offerings again this year. i'll be watching your thread for sure, I made almost all my selections this year based on breeder claims of mold resistance, 89% humidity right now and everynight pretty much. I think its worth giving it shot, I agree, not sure why more people don't try, worst case you just dont end up with anything...

Naindejardin

Yeah haha same person I'm thinking of who said that they hold up well in the rain/wet season! I'm in a similar elevation as you too, def going to look at indian landrace exchange's offerings again this year. i'll be watching your thread for sure, I made almost all my selections this year based on breeder claims of mold resistance, 89% humidity right now and everynight pretty much. I think its worth giving it shot, I agree, not sure why more people don't try, worst case you just dont end up with anything...
It’s only 87% humidity here 😂 but yeah Full Power Selections and Trident Seeds have been great. They took a while to get here but... I take it you’re not in the mountains?

laszlokovacs

I dont really know haha. Just around 1100' elevation. Im in the baby mountians i guess? Right next to the berkshires/green mountains but not on one of the big peaks. Growing on a pretty massive hillside on the outer limits of the nearby mountain ranges so I guess technically yes.

Naindejardin

So the question is do I harvest the Swazi? It’s starting to get rainy and the buds are dense. I lost most to mold last year, the trichomes are mainly clear still.