What's new

I have Old Seeds from the late 80's into early 90's

Rgd

Veteran
decades in a room temperature or more shipping container.....?

germ method=divine intervention

MarineOne

decades in a room temperature or more shipping container.....?

germ method=divine intervention
Stored in basement of private home, 58 degrees mostly no higher than 65 degrees. during summer. Food shipper
It is a cooler type shipping Styrofoam cooler box. The type you throw away after a meat shipment arrives.
1704550641813.png

Reactions: Rgd

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
A couple threads to consider that may be of assistance:

Anyone able to share Chimera's bleach sterilization method? Didn't have the presence of mind to save it as I never imagined they'd scrub so much invaluable info/content from the site. :oops:

Good luck!

singlecoiled

I grow one plant at a time, which means that a pack of 5 seeds lasts me around 3 years or more. (taking breaks during summer) My first purchase, Nirvana Northern Lights 5 pack is 4 years old now and I just popped my last seed. 100% germination rate even after a few years.

Cool thread, I was wondering how seeds perform as they get old. This should answer that question !

Side note: It sucks growing small scale as many seed banks sell 10 packs or more... I'd love to buy from ILGM but to get a good deal you have to buy at least 10 seeds...Not gonna work for me...

So Hai

Anyone able to share Chimera's bleach sterilization method? Didn't have the presence of mind to save it as I never imagined they'd scrub so much invaluable info/content from the site. :oops:

Good luck!
Didn’t see it but here is a good guide for clones.

Cuddles

Whatever you use for the germination process I would def put them into the freezer beforehand. I would even freeze them for several days rather than just overnight. But only do this with the seeds you are ready to plant not with all. Leave the other seeds in storage as is.
This method is not a guarantee but it´s worth a try.

I think scientists have even germinated seeds from thousands of years ago. Those are seeds found by archeologists. So it must be possible somehow but I´m not totally sure how they do it.

MarineOne

OK Cuddles post just made me think
Should I get the seeds into the freezer now and store them in there as if they were still recent seeds?
I still have them undisturbed in cooler in cold basement/

Cuddles

just did a quick search because I got a little curious about how scientists do it too :)

This is one of the articles which came up top of the results page:

In this particular case the seeds were frozen when they were found in permafrost:

Here's How Ancient Seeds Were Used To Resurrect A 32,000-year-old Plant​

Digvijay
Digvijay
Updated on Jan 17, 2023, 19:04 IST- 3 min read
silene stenophylla

Regeneration is an interesting phenomenon. Scientifically, it refers to the ability of some organisms to regrow or repair lost or damaged tissues, organs or limbs. It is a natural process that occurs in many forms of life, including plants, animals and certain microorganisms.
The mechanisms of regeneration can vary depending on the organism and the type of tissue being regenerated. Some examples of regeneration include the regrowth of lost limbs in certain species of amphibians and lizards, the regeneration of damaged liver tissue in mammals and the regrowth of leaves and stems in plants. The process of regeneration can also be doctored by scientists, like this plant. Read more to find out here.

Jump To​

Jumplink

32,000-year-old seeds regenerated the oldest plant to ever exist​

Back in 2012, Russian scientists from the Institute of Cell Biophysics regenerated the silene stenophylla, a native plant of Serbia with white flowers, from 32,000-year-old seeds. The seeds were discovered in Siberia, buried 124 feet beneath the permafrost.
A Twitter user, Channa Prakash, highlighted the plant in a tweet and wrote, "You are looking at the oldest plant ever to be regenerated, grown from 32,000-year-old seeds! A Russian team discovered a seed cache of Silene stenophylla, native to Siberia buried by an Ice Age squirrel, successfully germinated it," while sharing a picture of the plant.

The researchers were able to produce a number of Silene stenophylla plants from 32,000-year-old seed pods. Their accomplishment was detailed in a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Ancient Plant
Twitter Screengrab

The seeds were discovered completely frozen in ice​

Austrian scientists attempted to map the genomes of the ancient plants several years after the successful regeneration to learn how the seeds survived for so long. The mature and immature seeds, completely frozen in ice, were discovered 124 feet (38 metres) beneath the permafrost, surrounded by layers of mammoth, bison and woolly rhinoceros bones.

Seeds
Unsplash
According to National Geographic, the ice-encased seeds were surrounded by layers of mammoth, bison, and woolly rhinoceros bones. Radiocarbon dating was used by scientists to assess the age of the batch of mature and immature seeds recovered from the permafrost.
Despite being 124 feet below the surface of the ice, the seeds were fully utilised by the scientists who retrieved the tissue and germinated it in glass vials. "Late Pleistocene plant tissue of S. stenophylla, naturally preserved in permafrost, may be regenerated utilising tissue culture and micropropagation to yield healthy sexually reproducing plants," according to the study, which was published in the journal Science.

The plant proved to be the oldest regenerated plant, knocking out a Judean date palm from around 2,000 years ago.

Cuddles

here´s another article about really old seeds but the conditions were a little different:

Scientist Sprouts Fresh Plant From Ancient Seeds​

ByABC News
March 20, 2002, 3:45 AM

March 14 -- Jane Shen-Miller's garden consists of two plants that, for the moment, seem to be doing pretty well.
But she watches over them day and night, like a mother nursing a sick child, because those plants could hold key secrets about longevity and good health, not only for other plants but quite possibly for humans as well.

You see, these aren't just ordinary plants.
Secret to Long-Term Storage?

They were raised from seeds of the fabled lotus plant, and remarkably, they remained viable after spending nearly 500 years in a dry lakebed in China, subject to wind and sand storms, occasional flooding, and radiation. Shen-Miller, a plant biologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, grew the plants from ancient seeds she collected from the lakebed in China, where she was born and raised.

They are the first mature plants ever raised from seeds known to be so old.

"Most seeds only live a few years," she says. To have remained viable for so long, the seeds must have some genetic mechanism that allows them to repair damage along the way. If she, or other scientists involved in her project, can figure out what it is, they might be able to transfer that same mechanism to other plants, thus facilitating long-term storage of crop seeds that now remain viable for only a few years.

That, alone, makes Shen-Miller's gardening efforts valuable, because more enduring seeds could improve farming in areas around the world, thus easing the constant threat of famine.

But for now, she's just trying to keep her plants alive.

"I'm very tenaciously watching my 466-year-old and my 408-year-old to see what I can do to make them stronger," she says. "They are standing straight up right now," but they are not nearly as healthy as modern lotus plants grown in her lab as controls, and that, she says, is troubling.
Big Effects of Little Radiation

Shen-Miller also collected soil from the lakebed, and a co-investigator on the project, Garman Harbottle, took the soil back to the Brookhaven National Laboratory, where he works as a chemist. The soil was found to be slightly radioactive and the scientists believe that low-level radiation, over such a long period, caused mutations within the seeds.

Greatdalas

I think @Greatdalas does embryo rescue on old seeds.
Hii, yes I make a mixed method off tissue techniques in soil to revive them.
But isn’t a easy work, need be very carefull have much patience and have and make all perfect or they normally die.
Now Im in rescue of some 90s and early 2000 seed packs and I have packs with 0% germination and others with 60/70 in the 90s and in the 2000s 100% in some and 0% in others
All depend the strain, conservation,......

MarineOne

Hii, yes I make a mixed method off tissue techniques in soil to revive them.
But isn’t a easy work, need be very carefull have much patience and have and make all perfect or they normally die.
Now Im in rescue of some 90s and early 2000 seed packs and I have packs with 0% germination and others with 60/70 in the 90s and in the 2000s 100% in some and 0% in others
All depend the strain, conservation,......
Would love to hear of any methods that may help pop some of my seeds without getting to far into my chem set. Any tricks of the trade you could offer for getting older seeds to pop?
Not all of them are 20 yrs old, I have seeds collected for the last 20yrs and prob more. (the older seeds were mixed collection I was given by friends as a bag they had collected.

Greatdalas

Would love to hear of any methods that may help pop some of my seeds without getting to far into my chem set. Any tricks of the trade you could offer for getting older seeds to pop?
Not all of them are 20 yrs old, I have seeds collected for the last 20yrs and prob more. (the older seeds were mixed collection I was given by friends as a bag they had collected.
The more important is no add water in excess (less is more), too they normally no strongera to can open the seed so crack seed carefully(not easy the first times)
They need else of food too so add very low nutrients and little of carbohydrates.
The problem with them isn't only make them pop. They need much time to can recover(and make normal grow) , make New top or try make new roots (becouse the old is dryed/death and), and get a good health. root system normally grow more slowly and can start grow little and then stop becouse top root little dryed, is when you need try root it or go to die becouse lost more humidity that these stopped root can add.
No exist a trick, is a good environment and cares what make them pop, and recover